1984 fleetwood brougham questions - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 fleetwood brougham questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by zach1112 connects between the end of the fender and where the bumper bolts in, theyre little squares ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: 1984 fleetwood brougham questions

Quote Originally Posted by zach1112 View Post
    connects between the end of the fender and where the bumper bolts in, theyre little squares
    Most people call them front fillers. You can get them on ebay or layitlow.

zach1112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 fleetwood brougham

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Most people call them front fillers. You can get them on ebay or layitlow.

ah i wasnt exactly sure what they were called lol thanks for the help ill look around

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

Firing order: 18436572 odd #s in front counter clockwise rotation
    just to make sure, the front driver's side piston is #1, front passenger side piston is #2, second from front driver side is #3, second from front passenger side is #4. and back and forth like that.
    zach1112 and zach1112 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    Firing order: 18436572 odd #s in front counter clockwise rotation
    just to make sure, the front driver's side piston is #1, front passenger side piston is #2, second from front driver side is #3, second from front passenger side is #4. and back and forth like that.

thank you, im gonna go out in a little while and make sure i have all the wires in the right places, i still have no idea why i have no power though i literally had the petal to the floor last night and it wouldnt go anywhere

any ideas?

What kind of plugs did you buy? most can't be adjusted and are pre-gapped. How did you select which ones you bought? I've found that some of the selection guides at the part stores for pre-gapped plugs can have mistakes in them. Under the hood there should be a sticker with the correct gap, mine is 0.060 inches. Look up on the manufacture's website to make sure that the plugs you bought were meant for this gap.

And I took a look at my engine and on my passenger side is the AIR system control valve. It puts oxygen into the exhaust system to allow for more complete burning of the hydrocarbons I believe. It detects intake vacuum to control how much oxygen to put in and is hooked up to the air pump below the alternator.

What kind of plugs did you buy? most can't be adjusted and are pre-gapped. How did you select which ones you bought? I've found that some of the selection guides at the part stores for pre-gapped plugs can have mistakes in them. Under the hood there should be a sticker with the correct gap, mine is 0.060 inches. Look up on the manufacture's website to make sure that the plugs you bought were meant for this gap.

And I took a look at my engine and on my passenger side is the AIR system control valve. It puts oxygen into the exhaust system to allow for more complete burning of the hydrocarbons I believe. It detects intake vacuum to control how much oxygen to put in and is hooked up to the air pump below the alternator.
    thanks man ill check everything out im getting so sick of car troubles haha first my fiances mazda took a shit on us and now my cadillacs doing the same

----------

i forgot to answer your question too my bad lol they were autolite plugs i cant remember the exact kind all i remember is they had copper like the original plugs

I believe that autolites need to have the gap checked and can be gapped using standard gapping tools.
    if it has a v groove on the inside of the hooked electrode then they can't be gapped, but I don't think autolite has that.

I believe that autolites need to have the gap checked and can be gapped using standard gapping tools.
    if it has a v groove on the inside of the hooked electrode then they can't be gapped, but I don't think autolite has that.

alright thanks man im gonna go down and pull all the plugs and make sure theyre gapped right

i appreciate all the help

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

While you are pulling the Autolites, get some AC Delcos and give the Ford plugs to someone else

ah i wasnt exactly sure what they were called lol thanks for the help ill look around
    Here's a website to order new ones. I haven't used them but I've thought about picking some up since mine are on their way out.

http://www.cadillaccraftcenter.com/fillers.htm
    zach1112 and zach1112 like this.

Here's a website to order new ones. I haven't used them but I've thought about picking some up since mine are on their way out.

http://www.cadillaccraftcenter.com/fillers.htm

thank you so much!

Im such an idiot haha went out to work on the car today and found out i crossed the 2nd and 4th wire all is well now i just gotta fix my exhaust think i might hold out until i have the money to run duals though i looked underneath when i was working the other day and i definitely have enough room i just have to borrow a pipe bender and a welder off a friend lol

Im such an idiot haha went out to work on the car today and found out i crossed the 2nd and 4th wire all is well now i just gotta fix my exhaust think i might hold out until i have the money to run duals though i looked underneath when i was working the other day and i definitely have enough room i just have to borrow a pipe bender and a welder off a friend lol
    We've all had our "finest" moments working on cars. I once spent a day on my back with heat, penetrant, impact driver, massive breaker bar..... trying to get the nut off of an engine mount bolt the first time I went to pull an engine. It was only after I took a good look at the nut that I realized it was spot welded on the mounting bracket and that you were supposed to just pull the bolt out from the other side. 10 mins later I had the engine up.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Glad it worked out! Easy mistake to make.

We've all had our "finest" moments working on cars. I once spent a day on my back with heat, penetrant, impact driver, massive breaker bar..... trying to get the nut off of an engine mount bolt the first time I went to pull an engine. It was only after I took a good look at the nut that I realized it was spot welded on the mounting bracket and that you were supposed to just pull the bolt out from the other side. 10 mins later I had the engine up.

haha its always the dumbest things too, i do autobody work and back when i was living in jersey i was in a shop working on a ford f-150 taking the rear bumper off well i was fairly new to the job at the time and didnt know there was two bolts under the bumper that you take out to release it from the brackets so i spent about 4 hours trying to turn the bolts for the actual brackets to just take the whole assembly off not knowing that they were lock tighted in and not going anywhere without a torch until finally right before i took my lunch break one of the other guys came over and told me i was doing it completely wrong, that was one of the most ridiculous things i ever did probably lol

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Glad it worked out! Easy mistake to make.
    the worst part was i argued with my father in law for two days swearing that put em back in the right order and refusing to check and sure enough he was right lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.