Tips for recharging the a/c on a 1995 Fleetwood . . . . .
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Tips for recharging the a/c on a 1995 Fleetwood . . . . . in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So the a/c quit blowing cold on my 1995 this week. It was working fine last month though, but I ...
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Tips for recharging the a/c on a 1995 Fleetwood . . . . .

So the a/c quit blowing cold on my 1995 this week. It was working fine last month though, but I suspect it might have had a slow leak for a while. It never was as damn cold as the R12 a/c in my old 91 Brougham, you could hang meat in that car in the middle of August.

Anyways, the system in my Fleetwood is R134a, so you can still buy refrigerant cheap in the store. My mechanic buddy suspected it was low/out of refrigerant based on the fact that the a/c compressor would click on for four-five seconds, then click off for four to five seconds. Said that was a safety feature for when it had no refrigerant, so that way it wouldn't burn itself up.

Anyways, I've never done any a/c work. Figured a $20 can of refrigerant was worth a shot, if it worked through the summer I'd be a happy camper. Any tips on how to recharge the system??? I'm going to watch a few youtube videos and crack open the factory service manual.

BTW, I've ruled out any sort of malfunction with the climate control unit in the dash, it blows hot heat in the floor, defogs, deices, turns the compressor on when auto is selected. Works exactly like it should.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacPimpinNOLA is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

Re: Tips for recharging the a/c on a 1995 Fleetwood . . . . .

these a/c systems leak out of 2 places...the seal where the compressor is crimped together and the high side fill shrader valve is rubber and leaks over time...chevrolet stocks these $10 all day long...

with 134 you can try to add a can but its temper-mental, not enough it doesnt get cold, too much it doesnt get cold...you really need a machine or gauges to do it right.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

You can get a can with a gauge on it, but I don't know how accurate they are. There's a chart in the FSM of pressures. It's dependent upon ambient temp. And like CadillacPimpinNOLA says, if you overcharge it, it won't be cold either. If you can find someone with a set of manifold gauges and a digital thermometer, that's the way to go. Charge it while watching the low and high side pressure. As the pressures come into range, watch the outlet temp (on recirc, middle vent). When the temp stops dropping, you're fully charged.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I have a slow leak on my 93, made worse by the fact it is at my vacation home. The car sits sometimes for 3 months before I return (this is in Florida). I bought the kit you are talking about, and each time I come to Florida, I set the a/c on high, put a can in, and I get very cold air. I have not had it looked at because the $12.00 can of 134 fixes the problem each time. I'm sure someday it will quit working, requiring an expensive fix, but I have been doing this for the last 3 years with no problem. By the way, the compressor cycling on and off indicates that it is low on 134. If it does not come on at all, then you have some other problem.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The compressor cycling means it is only low, not empty. It will need a full can. Charge with the engine at 2000 rpm, putting the charge into the low side connector on the accumulator. DO NOT use a can with sealer.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 78 Coupe View Post
    If it does not come on at all, then you have some other problem.
    If it's really low, the compressor won't run at all. There's a low-pressure cut-out switch that will only allow the compressor to run if there's enough refrigerant in it. It's possible for the compressor not to run at all, but to still only need a recharge. The reason it cycles is because the low-side pressure drops when the compressor cycles on. If the refrigerant is low, the pressure quickly drops below the threshold and the low-pressure cut-out switch disables the compressor to protect it. As soon as the compressor shuts off, the pressure goes back up and the compressor runs again. It is supposed to cycle on and off, but not continuously (every few seconds). With enough refrigerant, it will cycle normally.

marz2684 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Just had a similar problem on my 96 compressor was kicking off and on every couple seconds got a can of 134a with the gauge and filled it up on the low pressure service port works like a charm nice and cold

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Decided I'm just going to let my mechanic fool with this. I think it has a rather large leak somewhere in the system, as in the a/c worked perfectly, I didn't drive the car for 4 or 5 days, then it doesn't work at all. I MIGHT be able to fix it with a recharge, but I'd have to buy a $20 gauge from the auto parts store, 2 cans of refrigerant, anyways I'd be out of $50 and it might not work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.