84 Deville Stereo Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Deville Stereo Install in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wanted to make a thread about the install that I'm doing in the 84 Coupe Deville. Had to cut ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

84 Deville Stereo Install

Just wanted to make a thread about the install that I'm doing in the 84 Coupe Deville. Had to cut the center bezel since it has the radio that the knobs go through the bezel.

You can see that there is no room for a single din unless you cut the opening wider. You have to remove the top vents to get to two screws behind them, vents pop out with a flathead in the tabs inside of them. They must be pointing up or down to slide out.

Old radio was easy enough to get out, dont forget the screw far back and below, this one didnt have a screw there.

My old radio was labeled incase you need to hard wire. The Memory wire is on a seperate harness.

Behind the radio, doesnt look like it here but there is plenty of room for a stereo. The stock radio is one of the biggest car stereos I've ever seen.

Rough cut just inside what is needed, used sandpaper on the dremel to finish. I used a dremel with a cable attachment.

I really wanted a nice finish so I took my time to finish the cut. Turned out pretty good. The cage is the only thing that holds it in place but, if you bend the tabs correctly, it sits very tight. I dont think I'm gonna have any issues with skipping over bumps.

Thats as far as I've made it because I dont have the wiring harness to plug into the stock harness yet. I'll finish tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 84 Deville Stereo Install

You need a trim ring on that cage.

And its killing me. It didn't fit after the install in the 90 but I thought I kept it, can't find it. Ill take it off my other car for final pictures.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

Looks good so far.

I had an aftermarket CD player installed in my 85 Fleetwood Brougham & had the shop do all the cutting. Previous owner installed an aftermarket Sony tape player that died out on me & the wire harness was cut...long story short who ever installed the Sony hard wired it instead of using a harness.

Got it all together. Best Buy didn't sell trim rings but he had an extra. Got lucky there.
    Got the wiring done. Trying those grey twist on caps at the connections, hope they work well, they twisted on very tight. The extra connection is the constant, they didn't fit together so it needed to be hardwired. Orange wire not connected to anything.

Clean install.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

wow good install! enjoyed the pictures

Thanks. The trim ring is bigger than I would like but it looks nicer than without it. There is a small trim ring that covers pretty much just the cage but I'm not too worried.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Looks nice, when I did the radio in my '83 I got a special bracket from crutchfield.com that made the radio fit very securely. It basically just screwed into all the places the factory one did, and had a platform of sorts for the new radio to go in. I think I lost about three screws in the dash trying to get that rear clip to line up & get a screw back there, lol.

Are you planning to upgrade the speakers?

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

I would be tempted to pain the little remnant of wood grain plastic on either side black to blend it all in.

I have some pioneer 3-ways for the front but the stock ones work decently so ill be lazy about putting them in. For the woodgrain, ill keep it like that till I find the smaller trim. Ill post here when I get the front speakers in.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Looks good.

When I installed my radio, no may was I going to cut the bezel out for the radio, I wanted to keep the original look of the stereo casstte. So what I did is I placed it in the glove box. I cut out a piece of the glovebox liner and ran the wires thru there. When it is not in use, I just close the glovebox and looks all factory. Besides, the clock on the original radio still works.

greencadillacmatt is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

The back speakers are SUPER easy to get to. I just layed down in the trunk and installed. It's just a few clips and they're in!

After putting the carpet in, I turned on the stereo just to here a back speaker popping. I guess they'll have to come out the 90. I'm just glad I havent got rid of the 90 yet. It saved me last night for a seatbelt bolt and now for the rear speakers.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    Looks good.
    When I installed my radio, no may was I going to cut the bezel out for the radio, I wanted to keep the original look of the stereo casstte. So what I did is I placed it in the glove box. I cut out a piece of the glovebox liner and ran the wires thru there. When it is not in use, I just close the glovebox and looks all factory. Besides, the clock on the original radio still works.
    I agree. When I get the replacement for my 78, I am also going the glove box route. I even got a junkyard box to cut up so I can still have the original if I choose to ever remove the aftermarket unit. And, by the way, for someone who chose to go the in dash route, excellent job. Patience is certainly a virtue!!

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 78 Coupe View Post
    I agree. When I get the replacement for my 78, I am also going the glove box route. I even got a junkyard box to cut up so I can still have the original if I choose to ever remove the aftermarket unit. And, by the way, for someone who chose to go the in dash route, excellent job. Patience is certainly a virtue!!
    I got an extra glovebox liner myself too...buy the adapter wires for your cars wiring to the radios wiring, that way you wont cut up the wiring..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.