Cadillac 500: It Begins. - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cadillac 500: It Begins. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Got to the bottom of it. THIS is a 425 with a Smog Pump. Not sure exactly what was different ...
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: Cadillac 500: It Begins.

Got to the bottom of it.

THIS is a 425 with a Smog Pump. Not sure exactly what was different about the water pump layout, but my water pump prevents me from using this particularly ridiculous setup. Also, if you were wondering what colours/textures my bracket was yesterday morning, they were about the same as that upper alternator arm or the pulley on the smog pump.

(Figured I would add it in case someone else stumbles across this thread someday)

While I believe that the top arm will work no matter what, I will have to acquire the bottom piece. I look forward to having an alternator that mounts in a sensible way, unlike the design on the 307...

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I have the one pictured above. I dont need anything for it, just send me your address and I'll get it out to you.

Took a couple days from when I started it, but only because I was at work and could not continue forward, as I was waiting for parts, but here it is. The Quadrajet. While in there replacing gaskets, I replaced some bots and such and repaired some others. I also added a brass float and I converted the choke switch to an electric one, but that is not mounted here. I will have to find some means to mount that to the carb when I put it on the intake, as the Edelbrock intake does not have mounts for the choke switch, so I figure I can make a sheet metal bracket that extends from between the carb base and the rear mounting bolt, because it is accessible and open.

Didn't go crazy on the rusty pieces, though there are sources to get new ones, but they all work fine, so I didn't bother.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Thatīs great! Looking forward to see it at work

Yea, I'm interested in how the Q-jet works also.

From what I am told, the Olds 455 Qjet is supposed to be a beast. Considering it was a bunch of hype and I got this thing taken apart and put back together with new parts in a snap (Thanks for the information, Cadforce. I am sure I will still need to tune it when I install it) I may just go ahead and grab a 455's carb someday and do it all over again.

Well, though it looks like I will have to drill out and retap one of the bell-housing mounts for the transmission, at least it is starting to look like an engine.

This engine stand is absolutely massive and very stable, but I am wondering if I should let it sit without the actual engine hoist connected to it. It is not the stand I do not trust but the bolts/spacers that are connected to the engine. If the photo does not load, my apologies. Photobucket is being very finicky about this particular snapshot for some reason.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

It looks awesome! I think I would use both stand and hoist. With such a heavy and powerful beast all security is not enough.

Good luck with the bell-housing mount hole!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Wow, why is that stand so big? Is it for truck or airplane engines? Engine looks mean. How about getting some brushed aluminum vinyl "Cadillac" scripts cut for the tops of the valve covers?

It's such a big stand, because it's for 6BT Cummins Diesels. Got it through work connections. Guess if I ever have to pull my 16.4 Litre truck engine (Yes, my big work truck is nearly two 500's) I'd love to get the valve covers labeled, but not with stickers. I'd need to have them engraved. Too bad I got them this way, because I could have just ordered the same ones pre-cut with breather holes, baffles and Caddy script if I didn't already have a set.

The other cool thing about this stand is that all it needs are front supports and I can definitely run an engine on it. I probably could now, but would prefer not to risk it.

Speaking of supports, I can use the factory mounting brackets from any 500-472-425-powered RWD car or no? Also, does anyone know where to get some good Headers for this monster? I have an awesome set, but they will never work in a Brougham. They'd be great for airboat/ratrod application. Big, mean and definitely loud.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I knew that stand was for a truck. If it can hold a Cummins, it will take that Caddy like it is nothing. Remember, a 500 weighs only a little more that a Chevy small block.

engine side mounts have to come from 77 and up 425/368 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    I knew that stand was for a truck. If it can hold a Cummins, it will take that Caddy like it is nothing. Remember, a 500 weighs only a little more that a Chevy small block.
    Like I said, it is less the stand I distrust, more the hardware from Lowe's. So far so good though.

Thanks, Csbuckn. I figured as much on the mounts. Was not sure if a RWD 500 platform would have the right mounts. Good to know though. Now if only I had some 368 cars at the junkyards...

Checked their inventory, because I will have to go for my fan unit soon anyhow. Lots of oddball 70's cars like MG's and Datsuns in there this month and two big early seventies Rivieras. Not relevant to my build, but interesting, since it usually just had eighties cars at the oldest and never anything too out-of-the-ordinary.

Alright then, thanks to my newest batch of supplies arriving today, it is intake time (Also, more Silly Hats)

Okay then, so what is the proper bolt-down pattern for this engine?

Also, and this is a bit more technical, I have seen varying degrees of how to best install this intake. I already know I should use sealer, because though many sources say no sealer is needed for the intake gaskets, most people who have actually done it, say YES, use the sealer. However, what about the Valley Pan? I have even heard people say they do not use it (I figure I should)

Do I put a layer of sealer between all surfaces? Therefore, engine, sealer, gasket, sealer, valley pan, sealer, then bolt down the intake?

I put sealer between both sides of my fiber gaskets. You could call Marty @MTS and see what he says. I installed dry and they leaked, I ended up machining .015" off and reinstalling per Marty and others over at another forum. Hopefully they arent leaking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.