Cadillac 500: It Begins. - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cadillac 500: It Begins. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: Cadillac 500: It Begins.

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    BTW, A green engine compartment? Happy St. Patrick´s day!!
    Yeah, that belongs to Dead Fish, an associate from Tampa...those guys are just a little bit weird.

His crew and My crew cross paths every year when we make a mutual trip to Orlando with some other people from the Southeast.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

^Wow, those guys add a new dimension to the word "customization"! :LOL: They seem to spend good times with their hearse

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    ^Also makes for easier access to belts in emergencies, which I have had to deal with.

Any particularly good electric fans on the market that any of you are familiar with?

I don't mind running electric setups, it's a simple install and no problems wiring it. Simple as can be. Just haven't looked into the "preferred" fans that people (who have American V8's, because Civics don't count) tend to use or swear by. I will have to see what is on the market.
    the b-body (impala ss) crowd like running a dual electric fan setup found on the lincoln mark VIII (the round one from the 90's)

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    the b-body (impala ss) crowd like running a dual electric fan setup found on the lincoln mark VIII (the round one from the 90's)
    Yeah, I know what that is. I have a neighbour with one and tell him that one day I will wake up and his car will be gone, with bits of it stuck in the grille of my '72. It is funnier still, because he tells me he sometimes fears this as well.

This fan?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-LINCOLN-M...sories&vxp=mtr

Seems reasonable, but I bet I can get one cheaper from a junkyard.

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    ^Wow, those guys add a new dimension to the word "customization"! :LOL: They seem to spend good times with their hearse
    Yeah. Dead Fish comparatively makes me look kind of normal. The "regular" crew is myself, the some friends with a pair of '79's and some other friends who also have a '79, but choose instead to bring their '68 Limo, a 90's "Roo-Wagon" Buick Hearse and a red/white '58 Plymouth Fury owned by some guy who is a total douchebag/a**hole and none of us can stand him, so he thankfully just parks by us and disappears someplace for the weekend.

One of the only times you can see people on Hearses, chainsawing up Pizzas and throwing them to/at people dressed like Zombies and then blocking off a major roadway for a good half-hour in the resort/tourist area of Orlando WITHOUT police involvement.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

News to me, and I have been "the b body crowd" for more than twenty years. I have NEVER seen someone use Lincoln fans on a b body. Are you sure you are not thinking of the stock OEM dual electric fans that came on the Impala SS (and all non tow pack LT1 Caprices and Roadmasters, and the 93 Cadillac Fleetwood)?

^That was my first thought of a fan system to get. It is VERY EASY to find at any local Junkyard.

Jay, you are correct. Not sure what I was thinking.

I'm sure you could make a Mark VIII fan work (considering you can get them at the junkyard fairly cheap and they're fairly easy to find plus they flow pretty well).

^Yes, but the local junkyards would charge me just as much for any fan assembly and I can probably find one like Jay said, just as easily, probably even easier and a more assured notion that I can make it fit

Plus, then all the Lincoln bits will stay on my '71, whileas my '87 can remain entirely Cadillac and my driveway will be at peace.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    ^Yes, but the local junkyards would charge me just as much for any fan assembly and I can probably find one like Jay said, just as easily, probably even easier and a more assured notion that I can make it fit

Plus, then all the Lincoln bits will stay on my '71, whileas my '87 can remain entirely Cadillac and my driveway will be at peace.
    good luck on finding a GM dual electric fan. all the ones I've come across were smashed and picked apart.

One way or another, I will find a set of fans.

Intake bolts have finally arrived. Okay, so question. I have my MTS intake gaskets with the sealant printed on them and from what I gather I am not supposed to add ANY sealer between the heads and the gaskets? What about between the gaskets and the valley pan, as in

Intake
    --------
    Valley Pan
    ---------
    Gasket
    ---------
    Heads

(That IS the proper order, right?)

Is there supposed to be any sealer between ANY of those levels, in any of your opinions or experience, or would it even make a difference? Likewise, at the front and rear of the engine, I have the little rubber strips that go between the intake and the engine block. Should I use a sealer there? From what I can tell, some people use sealer, some people use the strips and some people use both.

Also received my alternator bracket today and sanded it down and began enameling it. No photos of today's nonsense yet, because this website is behaving rather odd and not loading, so I will get those later.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    The debate over what to use for the intake gasket is indecisive. I first used the MTS gaskets dry and they leaked so I used a new MTS set with orange gasket sealant and so far, so good. I used sealant only for the ends.

Groovy.

Here's another conundrum. I had to stop all work on the project today, so I probably got less than an hour in (extenuating circumstances beyond my control) and I am only just getting back now. The thing is, I lined up the alt bracket I got, which is apparently from a 425. Now I have already gathered that the bracket is different than those I have seen, but are we SURE it will fit this engine? The top arm of it fits fine (Just one bolt, why wouldn't it) but the bottom bracket, which as I understand is supposed to bolt onto the other two bolts, down by the water pump, does not seem to line up with them whatsoever.

I am including a photo of the brackets I have now. Is anyone familiar with this lower/rear bracket (On the left in photo, of course)

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Not sure what that bracket is for, maybe a smog pump optioned 425? I'll send you one of the alt brackets I have. I pulled them off 79 Devilles. Let me know if you want it. Four thousand dollars plus shipping..lol. How did you get those brackets to look soo purdy?

Hah. Took only a few seconds, really, because I just held the pieces while sanding them with a drill bit, rather than clamping them to a workbench This is before I finished them, actually. Enameled them black thereafter. Since I have the entire engine NOT in a car anyhow, I have been replacing seals and cleaning everything as I went along anyhow. Not sure what I will do with the 307 when it comes out, but I can probably clean it up as well. As for the bracket I figured it must be some weirdsass smog pump or whatnot and I do not mind sawing bits I don't need off, but the thing is that it still doesn't line up with the mounting holes. Weird.

I think this is going to be sold on Ebay now. At least I can say they were rust free before painting.

I'll pay you for yours, if you can cut me a better deal than $4,000. If not, I think there are a few on Ebay already.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.