Cadillac 500: It Begins. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cadillac 500: It Begins. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That would be fantastic. If not that, I will probably definitely have a shop toy with it....
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: Cadillac 500: It Begins.

That would be fantastic. If not that, I will probably definitely have a shop toy with it.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Done! I have sent you the info by pm.

Yeah, I got it. Thanks a lot.

Okay, so here's a few (Thanks in advance, guys)

Fan clutch. Where do I get a fan, clutch and mount for this engine. I am seeing SEVERAL that are labeled to have come from these cars or are for these cars that are completely different. I guess the basic question is which fan works best for this application. I am sure several GM parts will fit.

Secondly, Accessory brackets. From my understanding the 425 alt brackets should fit this engine too? I have found a set that is cheaper than I can get 472/500 brackets for, but it is rather different from the Cadillac ones.

Thirdly, Power steering. Best power steering system to swap onto this engine?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I used the fan clutch off the stock 84 4100. Cant tell you how it works yet because the damn thing wont run correctly right now. For brackets, you want to get them from the same car. Cadillac made several different acc brackets for these motors so get the whole system from one car. The 425 brackets fit well and raise the alternator up a little, makes for easy access to other stuff around that area. Power steering is another story. I have the 425 pump with a 90 Brougham high pressure hose plugged into the 84 gearbox(long story). I've had the most trouble with finding the right high pressure hose to fit both ends.

Gotcha. *To ebay*

I will probably go with a 425 alt bracket then, because I have to run the Alt wires to the battery, which is on the opposite side of my engine bay, as it would be for the 307 and that may make it easier to do this.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You can run the battery on either side of the engine easily. The early cars had them on one side, and the later ones on the other side. Diesels had them on both!

^I know. I just figure it may be easier to run the wiring. I can also probably find brackets from 425 vehicles easier than 472/500's. Either of these choices will work though and it is not IMMEDIATE that I get them. In one case, I have even seen the battery run where it is just thrown in the rear of the engine bay, connected to jumpers. Yes, this was the ONLY battery in this car.

Even the fan clutch, I was more curious about than in dire need.

I need my intake manifolds to get here, replace the valley pan and intake and then I hope my carb kit finally arrives. I hear the 455 QJets were really good carbs, Maybe I can get one of those for a good-enough deal? If not, I can get an Edelbrock cheap off Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    Okay, so here's a few (Thanks in advance, guys)

Fan clutch. Where do I get a fan, clutch and mount for this engine.
    You can get both at www.rockauto.com Check the 500 1970 de Ville; not Eldorado. An electric fan is also available there. It would save more power and fuel.

^Was just looking there. They also have the reusable rubber valve cover gaskets, which I need. I have never particularly worried about electric versus mechanical fans. They will save horsepower and gas, but not so much that I feel I necessarily need to worry about it. I saw two listed on Rockauto. Anyone have any experience with what fan would work best for this?

Here's another one - I have a three core Olds 5.0 radiator now, which is basically brand new, but will probably be cutting it close for the 500. Will the '75-'76 RWD Deville radiator fit? Do I use one from a larger RWD bigblock powered car? Which Radiator did you use, Csbuckn?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I used the stock two core radiator from the 90 brougham. I dont have the AC radiator thing in front of it but its almost too cold. It runs at 180 degrees and I should be at about 195. Three core is plenty, you cant really get bigger than that.

Groovy.

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Chamus, I'd go with an electric fan setup. I hated the mechanical fan on my 91 Brougham, it was really noisy at idle. So much that you didn't hear the car running, you just heard that damn fan. Since you're reengineering everything, might as well go with the quieter option, plus it will free up some horsepower.

^Also makes for easier access to belts in emergencies, which I have had to deal with.

Any particularly good electric fans on the market that any of you are familiar with?

I don't mind running electric setups, it's a simple install and no problems wiring it. Simple as can be. Just haven't looked into the "preferred" fans that people (who have American V8's, because Civics don't count) tend to use or swear by. I will have to see what is on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post

BTW, A green engine compartment? Happy St. Patrick´s day!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.