Cadillac 500: It Begins. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cadillac 500: It Begins. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think so too. Let me get some stuff orchestrated and I will keep you in mind (csbuckn is second ...
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: Cadillac 500: It Begins.

I think so too. Let me get some stuff orchestrated and I will keep you in mind (csbuckn is second on the list, as I recall)

When I DO sell them, I demand an installation photo from whomever buys them...mostly because '69's are gorgeous.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Congrats for your project, Dullahan. It seems really exciting. This engine is the best cadillac made IMO. The more I drive my 69 (similar 472) the more I love this car and this engine.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    and I will keep you in mind (csbuckn is second on the list, as I recall)

When I DO sell them, I demand an installation photo from whomever buys them...mostly because '69's are gorgeous.
    I would be interested in the blue original valve covers... csbuckn and outsider only want the chromed ones?

^Yep. The blue ones actually look really nice (Aside from some sharpie marker on them, but alcohol pads clear that up) and only you want them.

Just ordered a whole mess of fun for it. Now I need to get a stand, as beefy as I can get, the timing set and dist in (will be easier with a stand), get the carb sorted out (Lost on that one, myself, a diagrams would be nice) and I need to get these aluminum valve covers baffled and ported for breather holes. (Have not been off since I got back from Vegas, so I have instead been getting the things I still need and enameling all my other parts, so it all matches)

Next up will be accessory brackets and motor mounts and after I map that out, I can see where the best place to mount this ignition coil is.

I agree about the engine. I have driven some of everything Cadillac has made and REALLY liked the RWD 500's. Kids these days can keep their CTS and Escalades, I will stick with the big boatish ones. I have been offered two of those CTS-V's in my life and found someone else to buy each of them before I ever even went to pick them up for them, because I really couldn't get interested. Cadillac once made big, roomy luxury sedans that had style, grace and class, but did not lack power, comfort and reliability. Today, these notions are lost on the modern generation (which is in fact my generation, regrettably) who only worry about superficial details.

^Totally agree. The 500 engine belongs to the age when cadillac still was "Standard of the world" and everyone was following cadillac. Most Heads of State travelled in these cars. This engine is an icon as was the culmination of that era.... In addition has a lot of potential (and parts available) for upgrading.

I have the 69 FSM. If you need the carb. adjustment instructions (about 25 pages.) just tell me.

Happy to know I´m the first one in the list for the blue valve covers... I prefer original look and these ones look great indeed

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    So how much longer is your frame? Do you know what cam is in there?

Which cam is where? My new engine is a 1970 Eldorado engine, I believe they used only one cam. The one in my car now is a VIN 9 Olds 307, but I believe they all had the same cam anyhow, VIN Y or VIN 9. As far as the length difference, while I cannot recall the exact frame extension offhand, the car is 246 inches in factory body length according to the factory info, while as the stock Broughams were (IIRC) 221 inches, There is a decent length added to the frame, as the wheels still sit about as far from the rear as they would on the Sedan variant. The way I see it, a custom driveshaft will be in order.

Come to think of it, not being the first person to drop a 500 into a Commercial Chassis of my style, there are probably a few associates I could inquire about their driveshafts from, if I could get in touch with them. Essentially, this Forum is still the place to be for any info I may need. You guys are awesome.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I may have mentioned this before but I do have a 69 FSM so if you need any of the info from that let me know.
    The-Dullahan and The-Dullahan like this.

1970 is a high compression motor, nice. The cam is what people change to make the chuga chuga sound at idle. It controls where your power band will be. A stock one is pretty much what you'll want because its good at low RPM and your car is so heavy that you'll want all your power down low to get it moving off the line. I wonder if the frames of the 500 powered limos and stuff were modified to handle the torque.

Well, if I can't find a good enough stand, I can always use the one we used for the 16.4 Litre engine in my work truck...
    I´ve seen one of these 500 engines running on a stand and hanging by a chain from a beam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3yCq...eature=related

Look at how it shakes when accelerated

Another interesting test with a 500 with aluminum valve covers, Bulldog (MTS) single plane intake, CSU Holley 850 carb and many other extras: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8xwj...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    Look at how it shakes when accelerated
    Because it is a monster.

I've seen that second video.

See, that is the danger of running an engine on that type of stand. They are not meant for it and they are dangerous at best. I once had an engine stand designed for running engines on. It was sold with my Olds engine.

Replaced a bunch of seals/gaskets. Still waiting for a new fuel pump gasket. I've also got my air cleaner assembly here and it looks fantastic to see the engine making progress. I want to get a set of the rubberized, reusable valve over gaskets, but I have a brand new set of the cork/rubber ones.

I need to take the intake off and enamel it, which works out, as I have a brand new valley pan sitting around too. Then comes Carb rebuild time. Anyone have diagrams for this or a source for some info? The Rochester Q-jets are great carbs, but not something I am all too knowledgeable about.

Also, does this engine have any timing marks on the harmonic balancer? I don't see one anywhere. I know some older engines had them chiseled in, so they could not wear off, but I really do not see one.

Question 2: If not, anyone have advice on finding one? I can turn the balancer with a cheapo billet aluminum tool I have (Made for Ford/SBC, but I can make it work) but I am really not sure the best method (Out of the 1,000 I find on the interwebs) to finding the TDC marking, so I can install the dist properly.

The engine DOES have a timing gauge on the timing cover to mark it up to, but again, I am not seeing a mark anywhere.

Am I just supposed to mark the balancer at the point whereas the compression exits the #1 spark plug hole? That hardly sounds precise.

The crank pulley should have a little slit cut into it on the edge. I may have another one if you need a pic. Probably shouldnt install the valve covers until you have found timing marks, that way you can verify TDC by seeing if the valves are closed. Is the oil pump driveshaft in the motor or do you have to put it in also?

I will look again after work. It was dark, the light ws on the wrong side of the engine and the pulley iitself is not in the cleanest shape (will paint it AND the marker after I find it)Last time I hd to do tis, the engine had a notch and a painted line. Simple as pie. The oil pump drveshaft is in the engine t the moment. Will probbly have to fiddle with it a bit to get the dist in. I am not worried about installing the valve covers yet. For now, they have just been sitting on the engine to keep everything in there clean.

Never mind, I found it easy enough and got the wheel enameled. Now it is raining, of course, so I closed the Garage back up.

Now I will need to find a nut that actually fits the distributor hold down clamp and get the spark wires cut and booted.

Then comes Carb rebuild time. Anyone have diagrams for this or a source for some info? The Rochester Q-jets are great carbs, but not something I am all too knowledgeable about.
    Do you need just the exploded view (Just 1 pic) or the whole disassembly/assembly/adjustment instructions (about 12 pages)?

I can pass you what you prefer from my '69 FSM even by a pm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.