Cadillac 500: It Begins. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cadillac 500: It Begins. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I don't know what type of engine stand you would get to handle the torque. I guess no hard pulls ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I don't know what type of engine stand you would get to handle the torque. I guess no hard pulls and you might be alright.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: Cadillac 500: It Begins.

I'm sure you can fab up some sort of custom bracket to mount that a/c compressor and keep the intake manifold, you're pretty handy at that type of stuff.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    I'm sure you can fab up some sort of custom bracket to mount that a/c compressor and keep the intake manifold, you're pretty handy at that type of stuff.
    Shhhh. It's a top secret plan!

Well, if I can't find a good enough stand, I can always use the one we used for the 16.4 Litre engine in my work truck...

Got the transmission cleaned off and painted today. No big deal. It was just horrendous.

I am trying to get as much done as I can prior to my migration back to Las Vegas. I will need to figure out this particular Quadrajet, kind of a what-goes-where and to play around and learn how the fancy ignition system works.

Okay, since I won't be able to play with this for a little while and I have nothing else to do at 5 AM, I am checking resources and I learned something interesting. There IS a production AC bracket designed to fit the Edelbrock intake and it can be located here, designed by Vintage Air.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-15500-VCB/

Will my hood actually be able to close with an AC bracket mounted on top of the intake? Who really knows.

At least now, when some other poor slob is looking for this information and ends up here, he can find it.

From what I can see though, having little resource to go by, since every 500 Swapped into a Brougham seems to use a stock upper radiator hose, which naturally curves above and over the compressor, it is safe to presume that the compressor SHOULD fit. While it is not exactly cheap, "Should work" sounds good enough for me.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Nice find. The compressor from your 307 is different from the compressor on a stock 500/472/425 but a caddy compressor should fit under the hood, especially if it goes under the top radiator hose.

^Precisely.

This will be a rather costly endeavor in itself.

I wonder if I can find a shop that does R12 and convert it all BACK, considering I can get original R12 compressors for cheaper...

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I don't think anybody will touch R12 now days, at least anybody reputible who would stand behind their work if there was a problem

I've heard of a product called Freeze 12, which is designed to work in automotive R12 applications. I think you can use all the stock R12 components, lines, condensors, compressors, etc with this product

http://freeze12.net/

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Freeze 12, discontinued...

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    Freeze 12, discontinued...
    Discontinued? Not so. Maybe not available in the Republik of Kalifornia, but it's definitely not discontinued. Napa carries it here. Also, Amazon lists it.

Dirtywaterdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

It is surprisingly easy to grind open your stock manifold.

I did it last winter myself in the basement.

I guess there are some advantages to long winters after all.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Discontinued? Not so. Maybe not available in the Republik of Kalifornia, but it's definitely not discontinued. Napa carries it here. Also, Amazon lists it.
    Click on FREEZE 12 registered trademark at the top of this link http://freeze12.net/. I didn't say it is not available, just discontinued. California has nothing to do with it. BTW Freeze-12 has been replaced with ES-12a.

hog wild is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Airboat with a 72' 500 caddy

looks like a fun project. Let me know if your interested in selling those headers I could use them on my airboat.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

You are gonna have fun ! Will your heater/AC housing be in the way of the right side rocker cover ? Seems to be a common issue...had to make an inverted bump in mine....

I'll figure it out when I get that far. Since I plan to sue the beefy aluminum ones, this MAY be an issue and I have already thought about it.

For now, seeing as I finally have some time (Was in Las Vegas until yesterday morning, in a separate 500-pwoered Cadillac) I can start on this some more.

Freeze 12 is NOT discontinued, but again, when I get that far, I will get that far.

The headers are awesome, but there is NO WAY they are going to work in this application, so yeah. Just like two sets of valve covers that I do not need.

I need to work the timing out and the distributor in and get the Carb dealt with (That's a whole bunch of mechanical zaniness).

Timing will be fun. The engine turns over, though it is not the easiest thing to do with one's bare hands, especially with the pulley resting on a tyre, but since years of idiocy have taught me that the layers of skin on your palms are trivial and not necessary for survival...

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Dull, if you wanna sell off that chrome set of valve covers let me know. I think they'd look perty under the hood of my 69

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.