Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac 500: It Begins.

22K views 115 replies 19 participants last post by  The-Dullahan 
#1 ·
Okay, so as anyone who hangs out in the lounge may have heard, I have gotten my new engine.

Without further adieu, let's get some photography going, because everyone complained about a lack of photos.

Freshly pulled from a 1970 Eldorado, sporting some minor modification.

Lacking an engine stand at the moment, I am using a tyre and an industrial dolly.

I have three sets of these. The originals, the chromed tin ones with the Caddy scripting and the aluminum ones, which I actually think I'd like if they had some black enamel on them.

A fancy ignition system.

Here's the fuel pump, the original distributor, and a few necessities. Also, some ridiculous headers.

And lastly, the accompanying transmission.

Not shown are plenty of bolts and a few simple pieces, a new valley pan gasket and an extra set of lifters, also new.

Now I'll need some motor mounts, a new rear axle, preferably with disc brakes, a new radiator (No faith in the 307's radiator, even if it new and a 3-row), accessory brackets and some accessories themselves, an exhaust (going for duals) a custom driveshaft (because the the transmission will be a different overall length), an air cleaner and I am not sure I can even fit that engine into a Brougham's engine bay with that intake. Any expert advice in any of these tasks would be GREATLY appreciated.

See less See more
#32 ·
Congrats for your project, Dullahan. It seems really exciting. This engine is the best cadillac made IMO. The more I drive my 69 (similar 472) the more I love this car and this engine.

and I will keep you in mind (csbuckn is second on the list, as I recall)

When I DO sell them, I demand an installation photo from whomever buys them...mostly because '69's are gorgeous.
I would be interested in the blue original valve covers... csbuckn and outsider only want the chromed ones?

#33 ·
^Yep. The blue ones actually look really nice (Aside from some sharpie marker on them, but alcohol pads clear that up) and only you want them.

Just ordered a whole mess of fun for it. Now I need to get a stand, as beefy as I can get, the timing set and dist in (will be easier with a stand), get the carb sorted out (Lost on that one, myself, a diagrams would be nice) and I need to get these aluminum valve covers baffled and ported for breather holes. (Have not been off since I got back from Vegas, so I have instead been getting the things I still need and enameling all my other parts, so it all matches)

Next up will be accessory brackets and motor mounts and after I map that out, I can see where the best place to mount this ignition coil is.

I agree about the engine. I have driven some of everything Cadillac has made and REALLY liked the RWD 500's. Kids these days can keep their CTS and Escalades, I will stick with the big boatish ones. I have been offered two of those CTS-V's in my life and found someone else to buy each of them before I ever even went to pick them up for them, because I really couldn't get interested. Cadillac once made big, roomy luxury sedans that had style, grace and class, but did not lack power, comfort and reliability. Today, these notions are lost on the modern generation (which is in fact my generation, regrettably) who only worry about superficial details. :nono:

#34 ·
^Totally agree. The 500 engine belongs to the age when cadillac still was "Standard of the world" and everyone was following cadillac. Most Heads of State travelled in these cars. This engine is an icon as was the culmination of that era.... In addition has a lot of potential (and parts available) for upgrading.

I have the 69 FSM. If you need the carb. adjustment instructions (about 25 pages.) just tell me.

Happy to know I´m the first one in the list for the blue valve covers... I prefer original look and these ones look great indeed :)

#36 ·
Which cam is where? My new engine is a 1970 Eldorado engine, I believe they used only one cam. The one in my car now is a VIN 9 Olds 307, but I believe they all had the same cam anyhow, VIN Y or VIN 9. As far as the length difference, while I cannot recall the exact frame extension offhand, the car is 246 inches in factory body length according to the factory info, while as the stock Broughams were (IIRC) 221 inches, There is a decent length added to the frame, as the wheels still sit about as far from the rear as they would on the Sedan variant. The way I see it, a custom driveshaft will be in order.

Come to think of it, not being the first person to drop a 500 into a Commercial Chassis of my style, there are probably a few associates I could inquire about their driveshafts from, if I could get in touch with them. Essentially, this Forum is still the place to be for any info I may need. You guys are awesome.

#38 ·
1970 is a high compression motor, nice. The cam is what people change to make the chuga chuga sound at idle. It controls where your power band will be. A stock one is pretty much what you'll want because its good at low RPM and your car is so heavy that you'll want all your power down low to get it moving off the line. I wonder if the frames of the 500 powered limos and stuff were modified to handle the torque.

#41 ·
Also, does this engine have any timing marks on the harmonic balancer? I don't see one anywhere. I know some older engines had them chiseled in, so they could not wear off, but I really do not see one.

Question 2: If not, anyone have advice on finding one? I can turn the balancer with a cheapo billet aluminum tool I have (Made for Ford/SBC, but I can make it work) but I am really not sure the best method (Out of the 1,000 I find on the interwebs) to finding the TDC marking, so I can install the dist properly.

The engine DOES have a timing gauge on the timing cover to mark it up to, but again, I am not seeing a mark anywhere.

Am I just supposed to mark the balancer at the point whereas the compression exits the #1 spark plug hole? That hardly sounds precise.

#42 ·
The crank pulley should have a little slit cut into it on the edge. I may have another one if you need a pic. Probably shouldnt install the valve covers until you have found timing marks, that way you can verify TDC by seeing if the valves are closed. Is the oil pump driveshaft in the motor or do you have to put it in also?

#43 ·
I will look again after work. It was dark, the light ws on the wrong side of the engine and the pulley iitself is not in the cleanest shape (will paint it AND the marker after I find it)Last time I hd to do tis, the engine had a notch and a painted line. Simple as pie. The oil pump drveshaft is in the engine t the moment. Will probbly have to fiddle with it a bit to get the dist in. I am not worried about installing the valve covers yet. For now, they have just been sitting on the engine to keep everything in there clean.

#49 ·
Okay, so here's a few (Thanks in advance, guys)

Fan clutch. Where do I get a fan, clutch and mount for this engine. I am seeing SEVERAL that are labeled to have come from these cars or are for these cars that are completely different. I guess the basic question is which fan works best for this application. I am sure several GM parts will fit.

Secondly, Accessory brackets. From my understanding the 425 alt brackets should fit this engine too? I have found a set that is cheaper than I can get 472/500 brackets for, but it is rather different from the Cadillac ones.

Thirdly, Power steering. Best power steering system to swap onto this engine?

#50 ·
I used the fan clutch off the stock 84 4100. Cant tell you how it works yet because the damn thing wont run correctly right now. For brackets, you want to get them from the same car. Cadillac made several different acc brackets for these motors so get the whole system from one car. The 425 brackets fit well and raise the alternator up a little, makes for easy access to other stuff around that area. Power steering is another story. I have the 425 pump with a 90 Brougham high pressure hose plugged into the 84 gearbox(long story). I've had the most trouble with finding the right high pressure hose to fit both ends.

#53 ·
^I know. I just figure it may be easier to run the wiring. I can also probably find brackets from 425 vehicles easier than 472/500's. Either of these choices will work though and it is not IMMEDIATE that I get them. In one case, I have even seen the battery run where it is just thrown in the rear of the engine bay, connected to jumpers. Yes, this was the ONLY battery in this car.

Even the fan clutch, I was more curious about than in dire need.

I need my intake manifolds to get here, replace the valley pan and intake and then I hope my carb kit finally arrives. I hear the 455 QJets were really good carbs, Maybe I can get one of those for a good-enough deal? If not, I can get an Edelbrock cheap off Ebay.

#55 ·
^Was just looking there. They also have the reusable rubber valve cover gaskets, which I need. I have never particularly worried about electric versus mechanical fans. They will save horsepower and gas, but not so much that I feel I necessarily need to worry about it. I saw two listed on Rockauto. Anyone have any experience with what fan would work best for this?

Here's another one - I have a three core Olds 5.0 radiator now, which is basically brand new, but will probably be cutting it close for the 500. Will the '75-'76 RWD Deville radiator fit? Do I use one from a larger RWD bigblock powered car? Which Radiator did you use, Csbuckn?

#58 ·
Chamus, I'd go with an electric fan setup. I hated the mechanical fan on my 91 Brougham, it was really noisy at idle. So much that you didn't hear the car running, you just heard that damn fan. Since you're reengineering everything, might as well go with the quieter option, plus it will free up some horsepower.

#59 ·
^Also makes for easier access to belts in emergencies, which I have had to deal with.

Any particularly good electric fans on the market that any of you are familiar with?

I don't mind running electric setups, it's a simple install and no problems wiring it. Simple as can be. Just haven't looked into the "preferred" fans that people (who have American V8's, because Civics don't count) tend to use or swear by. I will have to see what is on the market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.