My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys. Some of you may have been following in my other thread, but since I have now bought a ...
    Tennesseestorm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

Hey guys. Some of you may have been following in my other thread, but since I have now bought a Fleetwood, wanted to start this new thread with pics, questions, etc.

Well to start off this is my first Fleetwood and my FIRST Cadillac I have owned since my first car, which was a 1972 Sedan DeVille in 1992!

The one I just purchased is a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham, with 118K miles. The date of manufacture on the door is February of 1993. ( I was in the 11th grade, ). The interior is in MINT condition. Even the areas that typically wear out first on these, like where the heater controls are on the seat and the covering on the b-pillar are like new. NO dash cracks, etc. The car does however have some hail damage on the hood and trunk, but has NO rust and the paint is super nice and original. Havent decoded the codes inside the trunk yet, but it does have the keyless entry option and CD player options.

The car runs super, very quiet, etc. The steering is a little vague, as if something is a little worn or an alignment needed and one tire seems to have a broken belt, as it wobbles at low speed.

My main concern now and one I didnt know about before I shelled out $2300 for it is that there is an oil leak. After I parked the car I noticed oil spots where I had to turn about 3 times in the driveway to get it turned around. I went out later and looked underneath and seen a small puddle under car, near the back of the engine. It was dark, I havent inspected it yet, but it is a little disappointing. I didnt tell my dad yet, as he was the one that bought it for me. I kinda know (aquaintances through the old building I worked in) the seller and I thought I could assume the car was Ok, I didnt see any leaks where the car had been parked in his driveway (which is gravel). My fault for not checking it out closer. I am just hoping its nothing major. I have done some reading and it seems that on thse cars it could come from several areas... the oil sending unit, rear main seal, valve covers, etc. I am hoping and praying that its nothing major or costly. The rear main seal sounds scary.

Well pics to come soon as soon as I get it detailed. I may slip out there tonight and get some before the detailing. lol. Thanks again for all of the help and I am sure I will be a regular on here.

Here are the pics of the car at the previous owners house I took yesterday passing by... as you can see its in dire need of a detail! I cant wait to wash and wax it and clean the wheels and tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

Yep, all pretty much true. Check your valve cover bolts, look closely around the back of the intake, etc. I'm dealing with the same thing.

Also, if you have the oil cooler, check those lines as well.

Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

Thanks Sting, I sure will. I cant wait to get working on it!

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
    The steering is a little vague, as if something is a little worn or an alignment needed and one tire seems to have a broken belt, as it wobbles at low speed.
    Probably the center link. Not a bad job. It's easier if you do all the tie rods along with it. My '96 and '94 had bad center links when I got them. "Vague" is being kind. I could turn the wheel a half-turn in any direction before the car reacted. Haven't fixed my '94 yet - it's a lot of fun to try to keep in one lane on the highway. I have the new center link, just haven't had time to pop it in.

Oil leak could be anything, but I wouldn't sweat it. It's old, it will leak stuff. Just keep putting the stuff back in it as it leaks out. If it starts leaking a lot of stuff, you might have to address it.

Good luck with it!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Congrats on your new ride!

K, here is a sneek peek, I dont want to post too many until I get her detailed...

The good... the interior is in mint condition... only some dirt on some floor mats...

The ugly... that oil leak.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '03 DHS, 1966 SDV, 1987 &1989 Broughams

WOW!!!!! Beautiful interior!!!!!!

Man, you did GOOD!!!! Listen, no matter what that oil leak is or whatever other minor stuff might be wrong, it is WAY cheaper to fix that stuff than bringing an interior back to that condition!!!! AWESOME!!! Most people throw the phrase "mint condition" around carelessly, but that fits the phrase! And that vinyl top is amazing! Do you know how rare it is to find one of those cars with a vinyl top that nice? VERY cool! Obviously garage kept!

Marc

Thanks Faded Crest... thats a comfort to know! Yeah, she has 118K miles by an old woman. I dont think the back seat was ever sat in. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post

Man, you did GOOD!!!! Listen, no matter what that oil leak is or whatever other minor stuff might be wrong, it is WAY cheaper to fix than bringing an interior back to that condition!!!! AWESOME!!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Holy hell! Wow, quite a steal for $2300, even if it's got a bit of an oil leak!!!

Can we get some closer pics of the exterior?
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Man, you did GOOD!!!! Listen, no matter what that oil leak is or whatever other minor stuff might be wrong, it is WAY cheaper to fix that stuff than bringing an interior back to that condition!!!! AWESOME!!! Most people throw the phrase "mint condition" around carelessly, but that fits the phrase! And that vinyl top is amazing! Do you know how rare it is to find one of those cars with a vinyl top that nice? VERY cool! Obviously garage kept!

Marc
    Thanks! Yeah, I was going to say "near mint" interior, but thought I would say mint. lol. Yeah, the tops is nice too. I think the car was garaged until around 2009. Unfortunately this car was a victim to the very severe storms we had last April and the hood and trunk have some hail damage. At least where this car was it wasnt baseball sized hail like some areas in our town seen! Several dealerships had battered cars that had shattered windows, huge dents, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Holy hell! Wow, quite a steal for $2300, even if it's got a bit of an oil leak!!!

Can we get some closer pics of the exterior?
    Thanks! Yeah, I didnt realize how nice the interior was until I got it home, so that was some "good light" after discovering that oil leak. Yeah, I am going to try to get her cleaned up on the outside within a couple of days and post better exterior pics. Its 5:00 before I get off work and its dark by 6:15, so it may be a couple of days. I cant wait to get it washed/waxed and clean the windows.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '03 DHS, 1966 SDV, 1987 &1989 Broughams

That's funny you should mention hail damage. I was thinking I might go look at a '96 Fleetwood Brougham close to me that has hail damage. In the pics the interior looked real nice and I was wondering if I could live with the dents.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleet Bro, 64 Deville. Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

Dayum! That interior is super clean! Dude you made a great choice, I am really surprised. You can't get the same quality leather today, like the one's in that Fleetwood from back then, you are very fortunate. You need WW tires badly when you can afford them, and I am telling you right now, it truly adds another look to these cars for the better with some nice thick WW's, all Black tires are disgusting for any old Cadillac and Lincoln to be on for that matter.

Welcome to the Caddy family! Just make sure you keep up on the maintenance, it's gonna take some time, if you work on the car yourself, it's gonna save you tons and tons of money over time believe me. I mean a 118K on the engine ain't nothin. It's still a baby. I plan on replacing my front coil springs and upper control arm bushings soon, since my springs are starting to sag. I will report back on here and let you and everyone else know if I notice any major improvements in the ride, and handling. You can take it into consideration and possibly plan on doing the same kind of repair yourself for an improved ride.

Congrats!

----------

That's funny you should mention hail damage. I was thinking I might go look at a '96 Fleetwood Brougham close to me that has hail damage. In the pics the interior looked real nice and I was wondering if I could live with the dents.
    Depends of the severity of the dents and how many they are. If it's minor and easily repairable, hey what the hell! Go for it! lol Not too many Cadillac's like these are left. Snatch one up while you still can.

lol, yeah, I can live with the hail damage. I guess its where I am used to it and 50% of everyone else in this town. lol. My Lincoln Town Car has hail dents all of over it from the same storms. LOL. I collected the insurance on it, but I didnt spend it on getting the hail damage fixed. I spent it on mechanical things. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCaddyLacky View Post
    Dayum! That interior is super clean! Dude you made a great choice, I am really surprised. You can't get the same quality leather today, like the one's in that Fleetwood from back then, you are very fortunate. You need WW tires badly when you can afford them, and I am telling you right now, it truly adds another look to these cars for the better with some nice thick WW's, all Black tires are disgusting for any old Cadillac and Lincoln to be on for that matter.

Welcome to the Caddy family! Just make sure you keep up on the maintenance, it's gonna take some time, if you work on the car yourself, it's gonna save you tons and tons of money over time believe me. I mean a 118K on the engine ain't nothin. It's still a baby. I plan on replacing my front coil springs and upper control arm bushings soon, since my springs are starting to sag. I will report back on here and let you and everyone else know if I notice any major improvements in the ride, and handling. You can take it into consideration and possibly plan on doing the same kind of repair yourself for an improved ride.

Congrats!
    Thanks! Well its funny about the tires you mentioned... this one does have white wall tires, they are just so dirty they are black. LOL. I cant wait to start shining her up and put in the shop to get that oil leak checked out and the steering.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Congrats on your new Fleetwood Brougham!! Interior looks great, I wished mine in the Deville looked so nice!! Looking forward to seeing the detailed aftermath!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.