Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

9K views 65 replies 19 participants last post by  LostCyberSled 
#1 · (Edited)
My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

Hey guys. Some of you may have been following in my other thread, but since I have now bought a Fleetwood, wanted to start this new thread with pics, questions, etc.

Well to start off this is my first Fleetwood and my FIRST Cadillac I have owned since my first car, which was a 1972 Sedan DeVille in 1992!

The one I just purchased is a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham, with 118K miles. The date of manufacture on the door is February of 1993. ( I was in the 11th grade, :) ). The interior is in MINT condition. Even the areas that typically wear out first on these, like where the heater controls are on the seat and the covering on the b-pillar are like new. NO dash cracks, etc. The car does however have some hail damage on the hood and trunk, but has NO rust and the paint is super nice and original. Havent decoded the codes inside the trunk yet, but it does have the keyless entry option and CD player options.

The car runs super, very quiet, etc. The steering is a little vague, as if something is a little worn or an alignment needed and one tire seems to have a broken belt, as it wobbles at low speed.

My main concern now and one I didnt know about before I shelled out $2300 for it is that there is an oil leak. After I parked the car I noticed oil spots where I had to turn about 3 times in the driveway to get it turned around. I went out later and looked underneath and seen a small puddle under car, near the back of the engine. It was dark, I havent inspected it yet, but it is a little disappointing. I didnt tell my dad yet, as he was the one that bought it for me. I kinda know (aquaintances through the old building I worked in) the seller and I thought I could assume the car was Ok, I didnt see any leaks where the car had been parked in his driveway (which is gravel). My fault for not checking it out closer. I am just hoping its nothing major. I have done some reading and it seems that on thse cars it could come from several areas... the oil sending unit, rear main seal, valve covers, etc. I am hoping and praying that its nothing major or costly. The rear main seal sounds scary.

Well pics to come soon as soon as I get it detailed. I may slip out there tonight and get some before the detailing. lol. Thanks again for all of the help and I am sure I will be a regular on here. :)

Here are the pics of the car at the previous owners house I took yesterday passing by... as you can see its in dire need of a detail! I cant wait to wash and wax it and clean the wheels and tires.

See less See more
#38 ·
Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

Tennessestorm,

After getting caught out in a hail storm, I had all hail and door dent dings fixed by a "Paintless Dent Repair Shop". I was a little skeptical at first, but the local body shop farms out all of this type of work to the paintless dent repair guys. They charged me around $75.00 per dent. The results were super, and I've been parking out in "left field" of every parking lot since to avoid any new door dings. I probably have one of the few '94 Fltwd in the country with smooth exterior door skins.

#39 ·
Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

...I've been parking out in "left field" of every parking lot since to avoid any new door dings. I probably have one of the few '94 Fltwd in the country with smooth exterior door skins.
Hope no right-handed power hitters come up to bat... :cool:

#40 ·

Thanks! Yeah, I may get it fixed for sure, but may wait until we either build our new garage, or buy a house with one. We are undecided on what we are going to do. I wanna wait, because we get too many hail storms and I dont have a garage right now and I think this is going to be a very bad year for severe weather. Its already been bad and its not even March yet.

Well I finally got the Caddy washed tonight, still havent got her waxed. I am hoping to this weekend if it dont rain, which it probably will. I will likely get some pics up Sunday at least, then by Tuesday after the waxing and interior detailing. I removed the fender skirts and washed really good up in there as well.

Anyway, she does have white walls, they were just so dirty you could not see them, lol.

Below are a few close-up pics after the washing, (some may seem like repeats from the other night, but they arent). The paint seems really nice, as well as the chrome. Again, hopefully pics of the entire exterior by Tuesday. :)

Cats had already been on it.... lol

#42 ·

I just can't believe you even looked at another care after you found this one! NICE!!!
Thanks! Lol, yeah, I went and looked the '94 Fleetwood Brougham the next day, but it wasnt as nice as this '93. His had scratches, worn leather seats, cracked dash, it was missing and the CEL was on and he wanted more for his. I didnt even drive it. I went that evening and bought this '93. I am getting it to the shop asap to get the oil leak addressed and she will be ready. :)

#43 ·

That car looks amazing. Very little fade on the plastic areas, the hood paint is superb. You should see my well worn '94. The hood is chipped, pitted, and cracks throughout the surface. Your '93 looks as good as my 2nd '94 Fltwd that was a funeral home fleet vehicle. It only had 28k miles 6 years ago (www.cardomain.com/ride/694011).

Can't wait to see your car once you get it all shined up.

#45 ·

So Tennesseestorm, how would you compare this Fleetwood to your Town Car? Give us the ups and downs between the 2 cars.
Uh-oh... :stirpot: Just kidding... I have had both cars myself... and my own opinions, so I will be interested in his opinion since his perspective is so fresh...

#47 ·

You certainly hit the most common trouble areas of the 90's Town Cars. Power window problems have plagued Lincolns since at least the 1960s. BDA problems are all to familiar as well. I've had good luck on the air ride on my Town Cars. I'v had 5 that I can remember. Got rid of the last one a year and a half ago. It was a '97 Presidential. If you think the air ride on Town Cars was troublesome, be glad you didn't have a late 80's/early 90's Continental!

#48 ·

You certainly hit the most common trouble areas of the 90's Town Cars. Power window problems have plagued Lincolns since at least the 1960s. BDA problems are all to familiar as well. I've had good luck on the air ride on my Town Cars. I'v had 5 that I can remember. Got rid of the last one a year and a half ago. It was a '97 Presidential. If you think the air ride on Town Cars was troublesome, be glad you didn't have a late 80's/early 90's Continental!
I had to go back and add that my Town Car has steering wheel buttons for the heat-A/C, cruise and radio, and the Fleetwood dont, lol. I rarely use the buttons though. ;)

Yeah, we had Town Cars in the 70s and had window problems on some and papaw had a 66 Continental convertible and had nothing but window issues! I have had 70s GM cars, one was a 72 Cadillac and many more, including my current 73 Pontiac with power windows and NEVER had a power window issue. lol. My 73 Pontiac Grand Ville has the optional power windows that still work perfect. lol.

Yeah, I almost changed my mind on a Town Car when I started learning of the BDA issues, I had never knew about it. Mine is working fine, at least for now, but it may have been replaced in the past. Air springs was one thing I wish mine still had, but it had already been converted when I bought it. Yeah, the Continentals had the 4-wheel air spring suspension and I heard they were terrible. Dad had an old friend whose wife had a nice 1988 Continental that had to have all four replaced by 1997! She passed away and is gone now, as is her husband and I think they gave the car away.

I am glad the Fleetwood does not rely on air springs to have a soft ride! :) I really love my Fleetwood, I cant wait until I get it up to par. Going next week to register it, get that oil leak fixed, etc. :)

#49 ·
Tennesseestorm said:
personally I have always like the interiors of a 90-94 Town Car a little better,
Ditto. I think in general, the '90-'97 Town Car is more equal competition to the Fleetwood (maybe '91-'97, as the '90's still had the 5.0). They're "cushier" and more "traditional" IMHO than the '98+ models. More the Fleetwoods equal as far as features go as well.

The Fleetwood is definitely the victor in ride comfort and in the power department, but the town car isn't at all far behind, and isn't quite as boaty. Better visibility as well.

I had a '94 town car (shopped it against a '96 FWB), ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, but I'm sure I'd have loved the Fleetwood just the same.

#50 ·

Nice to know Tennstorm:) The Fleetwood is overall a better car. The Town Car does have some advantages over the Fleetwood, but not by much, and overall the Cadillac is just more reliable. Fords in the 90's had terrible electrical problems, like you said power window issues, and BDA's failing. I will go as far to say that even a 94 Deville has a better fit n finish and interior quality than a 94 Town Car, that's coming from my friends old 94 Deville Concourse which had a very nice feeling interior especially with the real Zebrano wood trim. Oh yeah and the trunk in the TC is much deeper with an extra 2 cubic feet of space.

Keep giving us updates when your finally able to drive the Caddy as your daily.:thumbsup::bouncy:

#58 ·

Nice to know Tennstorm:) The Fleetwood is overall a better car. The Town Car does have some advantages over the Fleetwood, but not by much, and overall the Cadillac is just more reliable. Fords in the 90's had terrible electrical problems, like you said power window issues, and BDA's failing. I will go as far to say that even a 94 Deville has a better fit n finish and interior quality than a 94 Town Car, that's coming from my friends old 94 Deville Concourse which had a very nice feeling interior especially with the real Zebrano wood trim. Oh yeah and the trunk in the TC is much deeper with an extra 2 cubic feet of space.

Keep giving us updates when your finally able to drive the Caddy as your daily.:thumbsup::bouncy:
Yeah, will keep the updates coming along. :)

I like Town Cars a lot. I actually think they handle a little better than the Fleetwoods. :hide: And the Ford 4.6 is certainly the most well proven engine of modern times... Look at all the police cars and taxis out there. A friend of mine used a '95 Town Car as a taxi and only sold it because the State of Virginia wouldn't allow a Taxi on the road with over 400,000 miles. That being said, I also remember a '95 Fleewood my friend bought with 360,000 miles. Both great cars. I like that the Town Cars run well on 87 octane. A Town Car is the "Ford Man's Cadillac". I don't think I could honestly say the Fleetwood is a "better" car... It's a matter of preference. There are a whole lot more Town Cars out there, so they don't seem as special.
Yeah, they are both good cars, one has an advantage of the other and visa-versa. I love them both. I just like big boaty cars and have always wanted one of each and now I do. :) It took me even a long time to find a local Town Car... then took me forever to find a Fleetwood! :p

I feel like we should make an official "Fleetwood vs Town Car" thread and leave it stickied. This comes up too often. lol
I agree too. Glad it came up though, not too often someone owns a Fleetwood and a Town Car. lol.

Ok, you can blame me for that one lol:duck:
Well, I am glad you nentioned it, nice to compare and see how someone that owns both feels about them.

There's hail damage on that car?

Pfft. I'd drive it all day.
Awesome. I don't seem too many hail hits.... Must not be too bad.
Yeah, its on the hood and trunk. Definitely there, just hard to depict in the pics. My Town Car has them too, about 60% of the cars in the city still have hail damage from last April and Mays super storms. lol.

#51 ·

I like Town Cars a lot. I actually think they handle a little better than the Fleetwoods. :hide: And the Ford 4.6 is certainly the most well proven engine of modern times... Look at all the police cars and taxis out there. A friend of mine used a '95 Town Car as a taxi and only sold it because the State of Virginia wouldn't allow a Taxi on the road with over 400,000 miles. That being said, I also remember a '95 Fleewood my friend bought with 360,000 miles. Both great cars. I like that the Town Cars run well on 87 octane. A Town Car is the "Ford Man's Cadillac". I don't think I could honestly say the Fleetwood is a "better" car... It's a matter of preference. There are a whole lot more Town Cars out there, so they don't seem as special.

#55 ·

Heading out the door and will reply to the above posts soon, but here are some pics I was finally able to take today. I at least got her waxed, but didnt get the windows cleaned, interior detailed or the chrome polished.....

#59 ·

WOW, I purchased some chrome polish this evening and WOW, I am impessed with how well the chrome on the lower panels have shined up, they gleam like new. :) I cant wait to get a garage to store this car in when not in use. I will post more pics soon of the finished work after I get the wheels cleaned, interior cleaned, etc.

#65 ·

This I didn't know! I have rust on my panels at the front corners where they meet. They must be a low grade stainless; however, overall, they have held up very well for 18 years.

#63 ·

Nice ! And it's exactly like mine, same color inside & out ! The only oil leak problems I've had is rust holes in the oil pan, which I fixed by soldering them shut.
You found a really beautiful car !

----------

I just noticed that I have different wheels than yours. The wheels on mine are aluminum. And I don't have heated seats, doggone it ! That's a Chevy engine in there by the way, it's it hasn't been mentioned.. a good one too.

#64 ·

Nice ! And it's exactly like mine, same color inside & out ! The only oil leak problems I've had is rust holes in the oil pan, which I fixed by soldering them shut.
You found a really beautiful car !

----------

I just noticed that I have different wheels than yours. The wheels on mine are aluminum. And I don't have heated seats, doggone it ! That's a Chevy engine in there by the way, it's it hasn't been mentioned.. a good one too.
Thanks. Yeah, I think mine is leaking from the oil filter adapter gasket, at least I hope. Didnt see any rust on the oil pan. Its a southern car, so basically not really any rust anywhere. lol.

Thanks again for the comment!

----------

Well the Caddy went to the "doctor" this evening. I drove it over to the shop so they can check it out in the morning. I didnt want to have to deal with running it over there in the morning, so I did it tonight. Left a detailed note in there to check the oil leak by the oil filter, the leaking hose connected to the radiator, change the oil and filter (provided the oil) and told them to check all of the steering components to make sure everything was tight.

Hopefully all will be minor issues and they get her fixed tomorrow so I can pick her up after work and take her for a spin this weekend. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.