My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by SDCaddyLacky So Tennesseestorm, how would you compare this Fleetwood to your Town Car? Give us the ups ...
    Tennesseestorm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCaddyLacky View Post
    So Tennesseestorm, how would you compare this Fleetwood to your Town Car? Give us the ups and downs between the 2 cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    Uh-oh... Just kidding... I have had both cars myself... and my own opinions, so I will be interested in his opinion since his perspective is so fresh...
    Lol, well I have been trying to make some observations, likes-dislikes between the two, etc. I have owned the Town Car for almost 3 years now and the Fleetwood for about a week and only have driving it once, so I cant comment too heavily yet. lol.

Despite both being the biggest most luxurious cars from GM and Ford during the 1990s, they are quite different in many ways. From what I can tell initially, the Fleetwood seems to have a softer ride, but my Town Car however does not have the original rear air springs anymore and have been replaced with regular coil springs, so that may be an unfair statement. I am not sure how well one was over the other when they were new. My uncle has a 1997 Town Car, with the original air springs that I rode in one time and I remember it being very cushy. My Town Car is very far from being even like a mid-sized sedan, it still rides very well despite it basically having the rear suspension now of that basically of a Crown Victoria. lol. The Fleetwood is heavier and has a longer wheelbase, so it may have a better ride than the Town Car, despite all of that.

The dashboards are totally different, so is the driving perspective. The dash on the Fleetwood is huge (as it was on my old '91 Caprice Classic), whereas the one on the Town Car is much shorter and has thinner A-pillars.

Feature wise, well one has an advantage over the other. The Fleetwood has heated seats, auto-dimming mirror, oil change light, CD player, rear vanity mirrors with lights, which are things my Town Car do not have, but my Town Car does have features the Fleetwood dont, such as a factory 3-car garage door opener, keypad entry on door (that unlocks door(s)/trunk without the key), illuminated door locks, fuel mileage computer incorporated into the instrument cluster, engine temperature gauge (though someone once told me that you could have the Fleetwood give this readout?), auxillary plug for power accesories under the dash steering wheel control buttons for the: heat-A/C, radio and cruise control and heated exterior mirrors, but the Fleetwood may have those heated mirrors, I am not sure? Also the Fleetwood has the light monitor system, the Town Car does not. The seats seem firmer in the Town Car, but both cars are comfortable. As big as the Town Car is, the Fleetwood seems so much larger on the inside. Overall, the Fleetwood just seems to be the cushiest of the two. The Town Cars interior (at least starting with the 95 redesigned interior) seems a little more modern than the Fleetwoods (which is not necessarily a good thing in all points, but it did add alot of improvements), but personally I have always like the interiors of a 90-94 Town Car a little better, which is more squared off like the Fleetwoods. I like the looks of the Fleetwoods dash better, as well as the rest of the interior.

Engine/transmission wise, I cannot yet comment, I havent driven the Fleetwood long enough to comment, but I will as soon as I start hitting the roads in it. The Town Car has a very smooth and seemless shifting transmission, but it has an annoying trait where once the car is warmed up, the torque converter engages almost as soon as the car shifts into 3rd gear. I was told this was normal in those cars.

Quality, well that remains to be seen too. Both cars are well assembled, with high quality materials. Fit-n-finish seem excellent in both cars and were probably tops among the 90s American cars. Both cars have lots of nice padding on most interior surfaces. I know the Fleetwoods have histories of cracked dash pads, something I dont see on the Town Cars, but the panels do get dry and hardened on those as well. There is a hard plastic panel ahead of the padded part of the dash, which seems in poor taste on the Town Cars. I think it should have been all padded like the Fleetwood. The door panels on both cars seem very well assembled and tight, at least they are on my cars. Exterior fit-finish seem excellent on both, but some of the Fleetwoods seem to have some loose/misaligned chrome panels.

Trouble areas - on the Fleetwoods, I am not sure yet. I know that trouble areas that plague the Town Cars of this era. Power windows issues, BDA (blend door actuators - which controls the HVAC temperature) issues, air springs and valve seals. I have been either lucky with mine, or the problems had already been previously addressed, as my car dont have these issues, but if a good oil is not used, it will sometimes put out a little puff of smoke when you first start out if you have been idling in a drive-thru for a long time.... and of course my air suspension has already been replaced-converted.

Well, thats all I have for now, I will report more as I drive the Fleetwood more and get to know the car.

BTW, it rained all day, I didnt get her waxed, so hopefully tomorrow I can and can get some good outside pics soon.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

You certainly hit the most common trouble areas of the 90's Town Cars. Power window problems have plagued Lincolns since at least the 1960s. BDA problems are all to familiar as well. I've had good luck on the air ride on my Town Cars. I'v had 5 that I can remember. Got rid of the last one a year and a half ago. It was a '97 Presidential. If you think the air ride on Town Cars was troublesome, be glad you didn't have a late 80's/early 90's Continental!

You certainly hit the most common trouble areas of the 90's Town Cars. Power window problems have plagued Lincolns since at least the 1960s. BDA problems are all to familiar as well. I've had good luck on the air ride on my Town Cars. I'v had 5 that I can remember. Got rid of the last one a year and a half ago. It was a '97 Presidential. If you think the air ride on Town Cars was troublesome, be glad you didn't have a late 80's/early 90's Continental!
    I had to go back and add that my Town Car has steering wheel buttons for the heat-A/C, cruise and radio, and the Fleetwood dont, lol. I rarely use the buttons though.

Yeah, we had Town Cars in the 70s and had window problems on some and papaw had a 66 Continental convertible and had nothing but window issues! I have had 70s GM cars, one was a 72 Cadillac and many more, including my current 73 Pontiac with power windows and NEVER had a power window issue. lol. My 73 Pontiac Grand Ville has the optional power windows that still work perfect. lol.

Yeah, I almost changed my mind on a Town Car when I started learning of the BDA issues, I had never knew about it. Mine is working fine, at least for now, but it may have been replaced in the past. Air springs was one thing I wish mine still had, but it had already been converted when I bought it. Yeah, the Continentals had the 4-wheel air spring suspension and I heard they were terrible. Dad had an old friend whose wife had a nice 1988 Continental that had to have all four replaced by 1997! She passed away and is gone now, as is her husband and I think they gave the car away.

I am glad the Fleetwood does not rely on air springs to have a soft ride! I really love my Fleetwood, I cant wait until I get it up to par. Going next week to register it, get that oil leak fixed, etc.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm
    personally I have always like the interiors of a 90-94 Town Car a little better,
    Ditto. I think in general, the '90-'97 Town Car is more equal competition to the Fleetwood (maybe '91-'97, as the '90's still had the 5.0). They're "cushier" and more "traditional" IMHO than the '98+ models. More the Fleetwoods equal as far as features go as well.

The Fleetwood is definitely the victor in ride comfort and in the power department, but the town car isn't at all far behind, and isn't quite as boaty. Better visibility as well.

I had a '94 town car (shopped it against a '96 FWB), ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, but I'm sure I'd have loved the Fleetwood just the same.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

Nice to know Tennstorm The Fleetwood is overall a better car. The Town Car does have some advantages over the Fleetwood, but not by much, and overall the Cadillac is just more reliable. Fords in the 90's had terrible electrical problems, like you said power window issues, and BDA's failing. I will go as far to say that even a 94 Deville has a better fit n finish and interior quality than a 94 Town Car, that's coming from my friends old 94 Deville Concourse which had a very nice feeling interior especially with the real Zebrano wood trim. Oh yeah and the trunk in the TC is much deeper with an extra 2 cubic feet of space.

Keep giving us updates when your finally able to drive the Caddy as your daily.

I like Town Cars a lot. I actually think they handle a little better than the Fleetwoods. And the Ford 4.6 is certainly the most well proven engine of modern times... Look at all the police cars and taxis out there. A friend of mine used a '95 Town Car as a taxi and only sold it because the State of Virginia wouldn't allow a Taxi on the road with over 400,000 miles. That being said, I also remember a '95 Fleewood my friend bought with 360,000 miles. Both great cars. I like that the Town Cars run well on 87 octane. A Town Car is the "Ford Man's Cadillac". I don't think I could honestly say the Fleetwood is a "better" car... It's a matter of preference. There are a whole lot more Town Cars out there, so they don't seem as special.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

I feel like we should make an official "Fleetwood vs Town Car" thread and leave it stickied. This comes up too often. lol

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    I feel like we should make an official "Fleetwood vs Town Car" thread and leave it stickied. This comes up too often. lol
    Agreed.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

Ok, you can blame me for that one lol

Heading out the door and will reply to the above posts soon, but here are some pics I was finally able to take today. I at least got her waxed, but didnt get the windows cleaned, interior detailed or the chrome polished.....

Alscad56 and Alscad56 like this.

Awesome. I don't seem too many hail hits.... Must not be too bad.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

There's hail damage on that car?

Pfft. I'd drive it all day.

Nice to know Tennstorm The Fleetwood is overall a better car. The Town Car does have some advantages over the Fleetwood, but not by much, and overall the Cadillac is just more reliable. Fords in the 90's had terrible electrical problems, like you said power window issues, and BDA's failing. I will go as far to say that even a 94 Deville has a better fit n finish and interior quality than a 94 Town Car, that's coming from my friends old 94 Deville Concourse which had a very nice feeling interior especially with the real Zebrano wood trim. Oh yeah and the trunk in the TC is much deeper with an extra 2 cubic feet of space.

Keep giving us updates when your finally able to drive the Caddy as your daily.
    Yeah, will keep the updates coming along.

I like Town Cars a lot. I actually think they handle a little better than the Fleetwoods. And the Ford 4.6 is certainly the most well proven engine of modern times... Look at all the police cars and taxis out there. A friend of mine used a '95 Town Car as a taxi and only sold it because the State of Virginia wouldn't allow a Taxi on the road with over 400,000 miles. That being said, I also remember a '95 Fleewood my friend bought with 360,000 miles. Both great cars. I like that the Town Cars run well on 87 octane. A Town Car is the "Ford Man's Cadillac". I don't think I could honestly say the Fleetwood is a "better" car... It's a matter of preference. There are a whole lot more Town Cars out there, so they don't seem as special.
    Yeah, they are both good cars, one has an advantage of the other and visa-versa. I love them both. I just like big boaty cars and have always wanted one of each and now I do. It took me even a long time to find a local Town Car... then took me forever to find a Fleetwood! :P

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Agreed.
    I agree too. Glad it came up though, not too often someone owns a Fleetwood and a Town Car. lol.

Ok, you can blame me for that one lol
    Well, I am glad you nentioned it, nice to compare and see how someone that owns both feels about them.

There's hail damage on that car?

Pfft. I'd drive it all day.
    Awesome. I don't seem too many hail hits.... Must not be too bad.
    Yeah, its on the hood and trunk. Definitely there, just hard to depict in the pics. My Town Car has them too, about 60% of the cars in the city still have hail damage from last April and Mays super storms. lol.

WOW, I purchased some chrome polish this evening and WOW, I am impessed with how well the chrome on the lower panels have shined up, they gleam like new. I cant wait to get a garage to store this car in when not in use. I will post more pics soon of the finished work after I get the wheels cleaned, interior cleaned, etc.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    FWIW, those panels are polished stainless.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.