84 Coupe Deville Project - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Coupe Deville Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The door and hood didnt block anything. When you open the door, you'll get two big bolts. You got one ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: 84 Coupe Deville Project

The door and hood didnt block anything. When you open the door, you'll get two big bolts. You got one under the fender near the door, one up at the window cowl, the ones holding the hood hindge, a bunch going around the inner fender and like three by the front clip. The hardest part was the lower ones going down from the hood hindge. You may be better off just taking off the hindge so you can reach down in there and get the two bolts. this was for my 90 but I'm thinking its the same for you.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    The door and hood didnt block anything. When you open the door, you'll get two big bolts. You got one under the fender near the door, one up at the window cowl, the ones holding the hood hindge, a bunch going around the inner fender and like three by the front clip. The hardest part was the lower ones going down from the hood hindge. You may be better off just taking off the hindge so you can reach down in there and get the two bolts. this was for my 90 but I'm thinking its the same for you.
    ok, now i see. I was trying to take the outer fender off the inner fender. you took the inner fender (still attached to the outer fender) off the body/ frame of the car.

Yea, I don't think that's possible. One of the bolts was in a weird place.

Gonna try wire feed welding for the first time tonight. See of I can weld myself to this caddy.

A little more progress. Got some more welding done.
    Underside of front floor pan

The bad corner. too bad to weld some metal in, had to cut a section from the white caddy. What a pain...and we missed the cut again. Kinda dissapointed in this corner but we'll see how we finish it.

The other side. Looks good but not done yet. And thats as far as we've made it on the inside.

Took a trip to see Bro-Ham and grabbed the wheels, wrapped them with 215/70/15 BFG Touring T/A Pro Series. Tires are nothing fancy and the wrong size but they handle well on heavy cars.

Roughed in the fuel lines, it runs now. Its running like crap, hopefully its just the choke not hooked up causing the issue, havent looked into it much. Does the choke only control the butterfly on top of the carb or does it do something with gas also? I cant really drive it because there is just a milk crate as a seat.

Overall, making progress but would like the interior to be done so I can drive it around a little.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

good work man! it's coming together

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I love those wheels on the earlier coupes!

Thanks y'all. It is coming together but moving slower than I want. Working around someone elses schedule is rough. The wheels do look nice, you know Dave keeps his Caddy in good condition so they came from a good home. Hopefully they can handle my lead foot. I just need to grab the front steering and suspension stuff off the white one and it should be done besides the interior. Hopefully it doesnt sit too low, the front is already a tiny bit lower then the back and it doesnt even have the impala springs on the front yet. The exhaust doesnt hang like it should so I'll have to mess with that also.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

WOW Sam! That car looks great! You are coming right along! Keep it up. Love the wheels on that beautiful car. Dave

Personally, I think the ride height is perfect.

Thanks Dave. It looks and sits nice but the front is very spongy while the rear is stiff. Maybe it wont drop the front too much since the stock front springs are probably warn. I'm gonna have to put them in because I drive kinda agressive and so the less lean, the better. Maybe I should put the bilsteins in first to see how stiff it makes it.

There are part numbers on the SS forum for a stock height SS spring that is much firmer. Like 750ft-lbs instead of 450. Might be worth looking into, and less than 100 bucks.

So the car is running like crap still. I've tested for spark at all cylinders and its good. The only thing that has changed..I switched from a high stall converter to a stock one and a fixed fan to a clutch fan. Unless the fuel pump is different but I think the TBI unit is the same. The gauge reads 5/6 psi of fuel pressure after the regulator. I knew I should of read fuel pressure on the old setup. Bet it was lower. Ill have to mess with the regulator.

So the issue is the choke. If I hold the butterfly open, it runs great. I'm happy to have found the issue, I was going crazy. The interior is still bare metal but I put the drivers seat and seatbelt in so I can drive it, we'll just call it weight reduction for now. This just shows how much I need to learn about carbs.

So I've been driving it around the last couple days and its still a beast. Its better off the line without that 2K stall converter in, it was just too high of a stall.
    Got the Impala suspension and new steering components off the 90.

Poor car didnt stand a chance. Its sitting on the bump stops up front and springs only in the back. Its done now, can finally get it out my driveway and to the yard. Found the previous owners for sale sign inside the door when we were taking a window motor out. He wanted 3500...might have been worth 25 but I dont think he woulda got 3500 for it.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

wish you were closer, still looking for a frame down here in El Paso, TX

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.