84 Coupe Deville Project - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Coupe Deville Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The 90 is in good shape, it just has two more doors then neccessary. I just know I wont find ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

re: 84 Coupe Deville Project

The 90 is in good shape, it just has two more doors then neccessary. I just know I wont find one like this again.

----------

Hey Robin, a pic of the two. The AC is on the left. The bolt for each one go in opposite direction and the AC bolt is a little longer. PM the address and I put it out tomorrow.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Dunno how to PM being a dinosaur. jayoldschool is PMing the address so it isn't public . I think I have something you need in trade. The plate under the gas pedal and the two pins that it mounts to. Fair? I'd post pix if I knew how to.

Cheers.......R.

Thanks but I have the 90 for parts so I'll take the pedal off that. I have to anyway because I have a pedal assembly with a kickdown switch on it.

Sam....... I should have asked you if your 90 car has a solid floor pan under the driver's feet. If so, you should cut the entire pan out and install it as per my previous rant about pop riveting in a good floor sheet section. It really is the answer.

Cheers...........R.

I just bought the rivets today. Might cut the bad stuff out tomorrow.

The rust:

I have to admit, I'm kinda intimidated by this. Never cut anything more then a stuburn bolt or line out. I have one of those air cut-off tools and an air hammer, will one of those work? I'm thinking I may have my friend come weld the new pan in, doesnt seem like there is a lot of room for rivets. On top of this, half the bolts that hold the seats in have broke off. Cant I just cut the bad stuff out and weld in some sheet metal or does it have to be another Caddy floor board?

Sam, it would be so much better to lay a solid factory-stamped floor panel over the hole and rivet it into place. There are reference points on both floor panels which will serve to guide the new panel to the right location. You will also get the factory accelerator pedal studs and mounts in the right place on the new panel.
    To remove the rusted metal, I would use a die grinder (a tool rental place should have one you could use) and a thin carborundum cut-off wheel. Don't try to use an air chisel or a sawzall to cut the badness out. The die grinder method is time consuming but the finished hole is worth the effort.

Cheers..................R.

We used a die grinder and it went pretty smooth. Glad I had the welder guy with because he taught me a thing or two about cutting rusted metal. Got the new floor pan in but not done welding it in place. Pics later.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Looking forward to this. I'll post the pic of my blue wagon when I do it in the spring. Makes your coupe look not bad.

I thought we were gonna have to cut out everything that had rust. He told me that we only had to cut down to the solid metal that we can weld to. Surface rust is all thats left. If you hit it with a hammer, it sounds real solid. The back drivers floor was a suprise but thats the easy one to fix. Still got some work to do on the drivers front floor pan.

The new floor pan. Some issues but nothing we cant handle. Not bad for the first time.

Swapping seat rails.

Seat anchor studs broke off, not sure what to do about that yet. Any ideas?

A build sheet(?) out of the black seats that was a 91(?) Brougham.
    BigCadMan_1 and BigCadMan_1 like this.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Looks like vin number at the top RH, if that's a letter "R", it's a 94. You might ask Cris over at Rippy >>>>>he should be able to tell you. The number on top LH looks like a part number.

coppercitymt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham 135K & 85 Riviera 93K

Wow that really is the rust belt, I am glad nothing rust's out like that, out here in MT. I am use to 60's cars having minor surface rust. Use to have a 49 Cad, solid expect the fenders had some rot in the lower edge.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

great job on that floor pan! Thought I was ganna have to do similar with my 69 but it was solid enough to not need it...I may do it eventually if I ever do a real restoration on it!

I love seeing these project threads, so much fun

Yea, its a big difference between here and where I grew up at in Texas. $500 cars down there are $1000 cars up here. For us that live where salt is laid down, not having to deal with rusted bolts is $500 well spent. Luckily, the 90 came from Arizona. Thanks Matt, it wasnt hard really, cut out and weld in. It would have been easy to put rivets in also. I might pull the 500 tonight upon wifey approval.
    outsider and outsider like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.