84 Coupe Deville Project - Page 29
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Coupe Deville Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When switching from vinyl top to hardtop, what are all the differences?*I know you need the interior trim, hardtop window ...
    csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    When switching from vinyl top to hardtop, what are all the differences?*I know you need the interior trim, hardtop window without halo ring, exterior window trim and clips to hold it on. My real question is about the rear window. Is the window actually bigger? I put my trim on and have a gap at the bottom between the window trim and decklid. Also, if the window was taller, it seems there would still be a gap between the trim and decklid. What am I missing? How do I fill the gap? The trim is held on by that pre-made windshield bead. Car is a little dirty from the woodwork on the center console...never do woodwork in a place you wanna keep clean.

Also found a reason the carpet isnt sitting flush is because I'm missing the padding that goes under the carpet up front.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 84 Coupe Deville Project

I really like the combination of the 90s headlights with the 80s grille and bumper, first I've seen. Usually when guys 90 them they do the bumper too. I hate the wrap-around front bumper on the normal 90s. Looks so natural with the black color.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Motors just swap over, too? Sounds tricky.

Makes me wonder how much this car could be worth if this bucket setup works out.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    When switching from vinyl top to hardtop, what are all the differences?*I know you need the interior trim, hardtop window without halo ring, exterior window trim and clips to hold it on. My real question is about the rear window. Is the window actually bigger? I put my trim on and have a gap at the bottom between the window trim and decklid. Also, if the window was taller, it seems there would still be a gap between the trim and decklid. What am I missing? How do I fill the gap? The trim is held on by that pre-made windshield bead. Car is a little dirty from the woodwork on the center console...never do woodwork in a place you wanna keep clean.

Also found a reason the carpet isnt sitting flush is because I'm missing the padding that goes under the carpet up front.
    Perhaps between hard top coupe and vinyl top coupe the rear deck is different. Maybe you can swap them out and presto. Or you can weld in piece of metal needed to fill gap.
    Hmm, that trim sure does look familiar, lol

----------

Oh, window is the same size for all models; Sedan, Coupe, Fleetwood Brougham and Fleetwood Brougham coupe.

Thanks seville fan, I really like the look also.

1980coupe, thats got to be it cause there wouldn't be t-studs on the hardtop decklid.

So the reason the rear window trim doesnt fit is because the trim is for a four door. I quess there is a difference between hardtop trims for four door and two door. The side pieces are a little longer for two doors.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Really? Now that I didn't know. So basically all you need are the sides off the hardtop coupe because they're longer than the sedan hardtop? I feel bad. I didn't know, there were different. I wonder if the guys over on layitlow are aware of this, I never heard or read of anyone running into this like you did....

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe
    Really? Now that I didn't know. So basically all you need are the sides off the hardtop coupe because they're longer than the sedan hardtop? I feel bad. I didn't know, there were different. I wonder if the guys over on layitlow are aware of this, I never heard or read of anyone running into this like you did....
    Is it possible his rear deck piece is off an electra or 98?

Yea, I posted this issue on LIL and someone went out and measured the two different decklids(hardtop and soft top decklids), they are the same except for the studs on the soft top lid. He also noticed at a junkyard that the rear trim was smaller on a sedan. Then Mr. Lac posted that they are different. My decklid is off my 84 coupe. The side pieces are the only difference as the coupe ones are longer. Dont worry 1980coupe, the price was right and I can easily make the money back.

Made more progress. Got the headlights, motor, battery isolator and dash wired up, jute backing under the carpet, back seats and quarters pretty much done, exterior door trim on and column connected. It would be ready to start if I would have connected the gas lines.

Center stereo piece is painted with duplicolor flat black. Cant really tell the difference in the garage.

Anybody got a black rear armrest?

This is where I'm stuck at the moment. I painted interior rear quarter panels(before I found some stock black ones) and they didnt turn out good. I dont want the door panels to turn out the same but dont have the money to take them somewhere. Anybody had a good turnout without a certain interior paint?
    lacville78 and lacville78 like this.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

SEM is the only way to go. If you clean the panels, and follow the prep instructions, they will look factory.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

What Jason said is true. SEM is the best, preparation is very important.

Tom C.

Yea, I've been looking at SEM the last couple days. Looks like Landau Black is the way to go. I still wonder about the carpet on the door???

I got the car running...no brakes. The pedal just goes up and down with and no feedback. It doesnt even move the rod in the master cylinder. I havent looked into it but hopefully its simple. Still having issues with the starter making noise and grinding funny after months of shimming and new starters. Just not sure what to do about it anymore.

welhajjk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 cadillac coupe deville

Hey csbuckn,

Sorry to go off topic here, but I have a question about the SS springs. I installed the impala SS stock springs all around with KYB gas adjust shocks and the 9c1 sway bars (front and back) on my 80 coupe deville...car rides really nice. My issue is that in the back, it dropped about 1.5", the front actually raised about .5". I will be honest, I don't think that my mechanic indexed the front springs (i know, a mechanic should know better). I am taking it back to him but before I do, do you think that will be the reason why the car is sitting higher in the front?

before I did the work, the front was sitting at 27.5" (ground to wheel well), the back was at 24". Not sure if my front springs were really saggy either as I don't have a reference to what the height should be if they werent saggy.

thanks,

Did you use used impala springs or new? The indexing will not bring the car to sit right. I think my car did the same, lowered in the back only. Not sure what causes that.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

A big block Caddy (even the 368) is heavier than an LT1. The SS also has lighter accessories (aluminum, plastic, etc). Also, the Caddy springs were likely sagging.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.