Cadillac Owners Forum banner

84 Coupe Deville Project

153K views 758 replies 45 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new 84 Deville De'elegance. Blue on blue with the soft cloth seats. The outside looks good as does the inside. It has 142K with a bad tranny and a motor that wont idle down. I only had it running for 10 minutes but the temp light came on. I looked under the hood and saw some melted wiring and some small mods but it all looks intacked.

Completely stock interior looks to have survived very well with the only defect being the locks not working.

Then comes the bad parts. The rust on the drivers floor board, its the only part of the floor board with rust

There is a rust hole in this fender thats hard to see. You can see the tire, just not in the pic.

Never did a floor pan though, are they a pain to deal with? I havent had it on the lift yet but the rest of the frame looks good. The plan would be to switch over the complete drivetrain from the 90 to this 84, everything except the interior mods, I like the interior as is. I would need to put some gauges somewhere though, any ideas?

See less See more
#737 ·
Sept 8-10th is the big weekend. Brainerd International raceway is doing a three part event...drag racing, road course, drift course that I'll be going to. I may even do the drift course since there was another 80s coupe out there doing it.

Click on the pics to see them since my emails to photosucket didn't get me anywhere.

#739 ·
I had a blast at BIR!
I went 12.95 @ 102mph.
I don't have my slip with me but 60 was like 1.72 I think.
Car weights 4265lbs with me in it, 4015 alone.
The bad news....the damn fan belt came off again and she overheated. I got smoke out of the drivers exhaust, probably a head gasket. I don't really mind taking it apart since it's so easy and cheap to replace gaskets, as long as no cracks are found, I'm happy.
My first two runs put me at 13.3 @ 100mph so I went and adjusted timing, got 12.95, went for the forth run and the belt goes. It didn't get real hot cause I shut it down at the end of the track. The other time it overheated probably did the real damage. The track is an NHRA track so it's prepped well and the tires hooked no problem. Staged at 3k rpm and smashed to the floor at the light. Shifting at 6400 rpm. Got the parts on order now so it should be up in a couple weeks. Pics maybe, they posted a couple live feeds at the track on Facebook(Brainerd International Raceway). I'm on one at one hour, fifty nine minutes. It's the one that I lost the belt but you can see how good it launched.

#741 ·
That's sounds pretty close. They say about 20% loss thru drivetrain which would be around 420hp. The plan was to do two runs at a time and adjust timing from there. First adjustment put me pretty close, second adjustment was gonna dial me in but never made it that far. I had a lot of fun, live bands, great food, hundreds of cars, burnout contest....

#743 ·
I havent. I thought you posted a link but I have safari on my apple computer. Not sure. The whole photo bucket thing just upsets me when I think about it. I took almost 200 photos this weekend, including the other brougham setup for drifting(roll cage, big ebrake, 355ci, ford 8.8, ladder bars) but haven't found time to find another host.

#745 ·
All back together now. I was having issues with big puddles of oil under the car after I turn it off and it turned out to be the white wrench off K&N oil filter. Not sure if it was a defect but it didnt work and was causing a strain on the oil pump and a loud whinning sound. Took it off and saw that it was collapsing. Even the metal shell started to pull inside. put a racing radiator in it, redid some wiring, got a B&M shifter, driveshaft safety loop and have a guy coming to do some custom headers.

#746 ·
Well yall, I'm still at it with this car. Just came from cash days a couple weeks ago where it ran its best time to date. Motor is still running really strong. I have a video but it's says it's too large to upload. It's about 50 sec long if someone knows how I can load it.

#754 ·
You know, I'm not sure. And now you have me wondering if I'm going the wrong way with my gears.... I think I am. I've never thought to look down at my gauge, just by feel. I might try to get out there for one more test and tune before the year ends. Rookie stuff but I'm learning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.