Cadillac Owners Forum banner

84 Coupe Deville Project

153K views 758 replies 45 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new 84 Deville De'elegance. Blue on blue with the soft cloth seats. The outside looks good as does the inside. It has 142K with a bad tranny and a motor that wont idle down. I only had it running for 10 minutes but the temp light came on. I looked under the hood and saw some melted wiring and some small mods but it all looks intacked.

Completely stock interior looks to have survived very well with the only defect being the locks not working.

Then comes the bad parts. The rust on the drivers floor board, its the only part of the floor board with rust

There is a rust hole in this fender thats hard to see. You can see the tire, just not in the pic.

Never did a floor pan though, are they a pain to deal with? I havent had it on the lift yet but the rest of the frame looks good. The plan would be to switch over the complete drivetrain from the 90 to this 84, everything except the interior mods, I like the interior as is. I would need to put some gauges somewhere though, any ideas?

See less See more
#578 ·
I love that you work this car. Awesome.

How's the hook with the DRs? I've only run the SS on my 18s, and they were useless. Even with the 295 width, I would have to walk it off the line, and when I hit 2nd (when it was still auto), it would blow the tires away. Haven't had it back on the strip since the T56... maybe I should.

#582 · (Edited)
I guess we can assume that you didn't break anything.
Didn't break anything but did get a leak from the oil pressure gauge sender at the back of the block. They said something to me on my last run so it stayed away just long enough to get 3 hours of play.

I love that you work this car. Awesome. How's the hook with the DRs? I've only run the SS on my 18s, and they were useless. Even with the 295 width, I would have to walk it off the line, and when I hit 2nd (when it was still auto), it would blow the tires away. Haven't had it back on the strip since the T56... maybe I should.
It was nice to finally run the car. I'm hooked and will probably be going a lot next year. The drag radials are a must. The only time I spun was when I didn't do a big burnout. They hook really good. I stalled at 2200 and went to 2/3rds throttle at the green light, no spin. I got so comfortable after the fourth or fifth run, I put on the music and didn't even listen for spin. The Impala(just had a CIA) had street tires on and he didn't hook either. When we got there, they told me I could have brought my drag slicks. They will be coming with us next time. Some type of drags are a must

No spin, just the tranny. The shift from first to second was late and lazy for a tranny that was supposed to have a kit in it. It was hard to tell if I even went to third gear. I would cross the line at 5K(put my 3.73s in last night). The tranny will be my baby this winter, since I'm completely hooked on racing now, the goal is full manual with trans brake. The engine has more if timed right. Didn't even look down at my air/fuel gauge.

This is me and my friend. He has a 383/5 speed combo. He ran 15.0X at another race way earlier this year.
So here's a copy of my favorite time slip, its against my friend. It proves that racing is a test of man and machine together.

............Me.............Him
R/T-------.750---------.405
60'-------2.217-------2.352
330------6.278--------6.353
1/8------9.689--------9.610
MPH-----73.04--------71.40
1000----12.557------12.613

1/4------14.939------15.056
MPH------94.98-------93.26

He crossed the line about a car and a half ahead of me. My machine was better, my numbers looked better on almost every line. His reaction time was better. That .35 reaction time difference made about 25 feet off the line I had to chase down, was only able to get about 10 feet back. Now I have to hear it for the whole winter about how he beat me......and we work together. He didn't want to race me again. My reaction time got down to .286 by the end of the day.

What a day, might even go to the last drag day next month.

#580 ·
That was fun. I'm at a rest stop so a quick post. Did 9 runs, messed up 2, probably averaged 14.85. I've got video of the runs I'll try to post. My downfall was the tranny, hung in first way too long, maybe two seconds too long, couldn't get it to shift early.

#584 ·
I run at a 1/8 mile track and just for reference my old 70 Impala with stockish 350 ran 10.5 and about 75 mph. A lot of stockish Mustangs were in the 9.5's. You are definitely in Mustang territory. I think there is a lot of time to be gained in the 60 ft times. I was just playing with the Impala and didn't tweak anything and I can't remember my 60 ft times but I would have been shocked to be in the mid 2's. I race and tweak on my bike and lay down 1.6 60 ft times, which is fairly hard to do without sissy sticks. I see a lot of stock looking vehicles laying down similar 60 ft times to my bike (1.7-1.9) so I don't think it is that hard to do. You must have some wheelspin going on. Hopefully you can get a friend to video your next runs to figure out what's gong on there. Those 9.5 second Mustangs are definitely doing better in the 60 ft. If you could get your 60 ft times down you would be beating the stock Mustangs around here. (is there really a "stock" Mustang in this world?) Good job on building a fast beast

#585 ·
Yea, it was my first time. I'm pretty sure I will be much better next time since I'll be able to bring my 10" wide bias slicks. I didn't mess with the timing at the track this time either. My fastest 60' was 2.08. The only time I spun the tires was in the race with my friend. I did only a 1 or 2 second burnout thinking that they were still warm from the first run 5 minutes before. Every other time, I did the long burnouts like the pro mod guys I was lining up with. Looks like I forgot to post that. He got lucky. I just can't wait to go back.

#589 ·
LOL! You just don't understand, check out my first post here in 2008. I was such a newb. My lack of knowledge is too apparent in post #39. I was so brand new and kept changing my engines that I'm sure people were just sick of me. Thank god the people that stuck it out through that thread had the patients of teachers. Post 73 was my favorite, it meant so much to read that quick little line from somebody with so much automotive knowledge and respect on the board. This forum really is the reason I know so much, it was my fall back to everything.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...eetwood-1985/139474-my-first-engine-swap.html

#592 ·
So, I've been working on another 500 for the caddy. I've got another 500 block from 76 but I'm going pretty big for this build, I will be staying NA for now. The block has been cleaned and is back home for some oil mods and to debur the block. Now it can go back to the shop to get punched 30 over.

The intake is a big old bulldog single plane thats been modified a little. The intake isn't the most popular for the motor but, after talking to Marty, I'm going to use it with a huge cam and some tall gears.

The pistons and rods are forged from Probe with ARP hardware. Gonna raise compression to 10-1 with the big chamber 120cc heads.

I'll have some pics of the heads when I get them out the shop. Fully ported with big valves. Really excited about this build. I'll probably get a custom cam a little bigger then the #20 MTS cam. Should be sticking out the hood when done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.