84 Coupe Deville Project - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Coupe Deville Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good deal for money . This could be a good project car as well...
    Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

re: 84 Coupe Deville Project

Good deal for money . This could be a good project car as well

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

So I got it on the lift.
    Body seems straight on both sides. Top is a little faded, stained and showing wear. Small cracks so far but no rips.

Interior is very nice, de'elegance trimmings. The only blemish is the cracked dash pad but I have a good one in the 90.

A little concern is the gaps in the body panels, they seem to split at the top. Is this a sign of a stressed frame? Its like this on the floor or the lift but a little better on the ground.

Overall, I think I'm gonna go ahead and swap everything over.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

If you are worried about the frame, you can just put the coupe body on your other frame...

Forgot to post the rust. Not too bad, some under the drivers feet and a hole at the rear seat/drivers side floor board. i think the frame is good, both doors open without sagging or up and down play.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Hi CS...... when you get to parting out the motor, could I buy the belt adjuster for either the alternator or the A/C pump please? The adjuster is the small block with the long bolt through it that is used to keep tension on the belt. Please let me know..........R.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

sam, looks pretty good to me. sure its got some rust on the underbelly, but the top side and interior look damn nice. that 3 tone blue cloth/ leather (pleather) combo interior is awesome
    also, what happened to the 90? what made you decide to scrap that project in favor of the coupe?

Robin, its yours. I'll look tomorrow for what you're looking for. Kevin, I've always wanted a coupe. They are about 350 lbs lighter and feel different inside for some reason. Now that I think about it, I dont really have a good reason why I like the coupe so much more but I do. The interior was so nice that I couldnt say no, I just gave him the money and was back in an hour with the dolly. The 90 was such a good base for the project though, so much work went into it within the last few years but I just cant turn down the coupe.

Thanks cs.......... I will come back to you with mailing info. In the meantime, I must tell you that I repaired the floor in my '81 Junkyard dog (sedan deville) which was originally from New York and Toronto and to which the salt had done its work under the driver's feet much worse than yours. One of the parts cars I bought to supply parts for the JYD was a nice clean dry 81 FWB from the bone dry Okanagan part of BC. So with a cut-off wheel and die grinder I cut away all the bad metal in the driver's side floor and then cut the matching piece from the parts car 1 inch greater all the way round. Then hammered the new panel into a tight fit and removed it. Took a can of roof sealing tar and laid it around the overlap, drilled some screw holes to tighen it into place and then went to work with a box of pop rivets and fastened it into place. Yep.... it's Mickey Mouse but it worked perfectly and after all, it is only a JYD. I guess I should have taken pix of the repair but I did it eight years ago and it is still in place and so far, dry.
    Cheers.........R.

I was thinking about screwing it into place since I dont have a welder and the guy that welds for me always says "we'll work out a price later". I think I see the piece you are talking about, its the piece that tightens the alternator. The screw and block on the alt? I'm excited about this, I may pull the motor tonight since I cant drive it around and it would be 100 times easier to move it around the place without the engine/tranny in.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

sam, since you're pulling the drivetrain from the 90 for the coupe, what are your plans for the 90? are you going to keep it around and put a different drivetrain in it, part it out, sell it as a roller (it would be a shame to part it out).

I was gonna sell it for parts. I just know after taking the rearend out that I will not want to put the other one on. So the interior and any panels, doors, fenders, trim, etc etc will be for sell. I have a complete black leather de'elegance interior with no rips to the seats, barely any wear on the driver seat. Everything except the carpet, seatbelts, dashpad(keeping it), headliner and stock steering wheel(but comes with the aftermarket wheel).

Got it out by 3:45am.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

That thing seems like it's in pretty decent shape. I'd pick up a pan from someone on layitlow out in cali or something and weld a replacement back in. Look into Mig welding I heard it's pretty simple to pick up quickly and works on a lot of body repairs. Seems like a shame to scrap that car.

^You talking bout the 90? I know...I just don't know what else to do with it. It wont have anything left on it.

Sam...... the long screw and block on the alternator is what I need. I actually need the one for the A/C pump but I believe they are both the same.
    And don't try to screw a floor pan in. First step, find a rust free driver's floor pan. Cut it out way larger than what you will need. Then find a hand pull pop rivet gun and a box of 3/16" X1/2" deep pop rivets. Cut out the badness from your coupe's floor. Then trim and fit the replacement panel. Seal it with residential roof sealing tar, it is much more durable than the automotive sealers currently on the market. I also repaired a hole in my left rear wheel well which was identical to yours. Same plan. Except you can use a flat aluminum patch piece cut to fit over the hole leaving enough to rivet to solid metal in your car. As with the floor sheet repair, seal it well with roofing tar. Us C'najuns will make a Mickey Mouse repairman out of you yet.
    Cheers........R.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Oh my bad man I read it wrong. I thought you were talking about the coupe at first. How come you're getting rid of the 90? Is it in pretty bad shape? I was reading my TH400 book the other day and it was talking about harmonic vibration after putting a rebuilt TH400 in. it said to rotate it 120 degrees and bolt the converter back up. I'm gonna take a photo of the page and upload it on your 500 swap page. I'll have it up in a few minutes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.