84 Coupe Deville Project - Page 18
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Coupe Deville Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; looking good...
    BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado 4.9

Re: 84 Coupe Deville Project

looking good

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Drill and jigswaw might work for the hole!

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Drill and jigswaw might work for the hole!
    ..Giggidy..

Project looks great! What a shame about the shaved firewall though!

Ben

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Got the holes drilled. I used the hole saw bit on a drill which was an experience because I had already drilled a pilot hole which turned out to be bigger then the arbor bit so the hole saw bit was dancing all over the place. Damn near worked my 500 year old craftsman drill to death. Worked out in the long run because the holes ended up a little bigger then needed so I have some wiggle room incase its not center. Also got the por 15 in today, hopefully do that tonight.

Brushed on the POR15 tonight. Pretty easy. I didnt use any etching stuff or any prep, I just wire wheeled the frame and painted it on pretty thick. I wore some latex gloves and laid a tarp to keep spills under control. Hopefully it looks this decent in the morning, I turned the heat down to 50.

As for the windshield removal, I got a tip from member Robin Banx, who is having trouble posting, about an easy way to take it out if you have time....
    Hi Sam.......I can't seem to get a reply to stick to your 84 coupe thread but I have successfully removed the w/s glass from an 81 parts car. It was rather tricky and time-consuming. I cut about eight small wooden gradual-slope wedges. Then I pushed all of them under the lower edge of the glass through the butyl sealer. I left the wedges alone for a couple of days and then I gently tapped each wedge up under the glass just a little and evenly for all. Then I left it for a few more days and went at it again. As I recall it took me abut three weeks or more to get the windshield safely out but it worked. Have patience my son and you will win. Splitting that nice new glass will have you tearing your hair out. I know, I have tried to remove w/s glass quickly and it never worked. Any questions.......ask away.

Cheers......R.

I'm gonna use a combination of his method and a tool to get it out safely.

So I got the chassis done with everything I planned on doing. 3.08s in, coated frame the best I can, installed new rocker arms, readjusted rear axle alignment, installed higher stall converter and changed my flexplate. Just waiting on oriellys to get the body mounts in, about a week. I've got the blue interior stripped to the bone so this gives me some time to put it in the black car. Actually, I've got to get the glass out of the blue one.

Got some decent pics of the shell.

----------

Got another major issue...seatbelts! The previous owner planned on running 90-92 belts(its funny, only people that havent had them want them) so he cut out or plugged the original locations. Gotta do more cutting and welding but now I have to dry fit the sunroof to see if its even possible to use the stock location.
    Stock location:

The black shell:

Plugged hole in floor pan, might just be the bolt head cut off:

Got all the glass out. Windshield came out easy with the tool below. Quarters were a little different, used the windshield tool on one corner and used heat to heat up the rest of the sealer and just pushed it out.

So, Fleetwood windows, have you decided on the top? A full vinyl on a coupe looks cool, and not many are done like that.

If I was going with a vinyl top, I'd probably keep the fleetwood windows but since I'm keeping it a hardtop, I'm gonna put the Deville windows in and repaint the roof.

Nice. What glass is the Astro? Smoke/gold/mirror?

Smoked.

----------

Stopped being lazy and covered the front frame also. All out of POR15 but one quart was enough.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

If you had both rear brougham coupe frames and glass, you could make some $ on layitlow....

Yea, thats another reason I didnt go with the fleetwood setup. People were asking stupid prices for them. Them major used part suppliers on the 80-92 thread ask ridiculous prices. You would think they were paying 2k for part cars or something.

Test fit the sunroof. Fits good but I wont be able to run the seatbelts in the stock location. I need about five inches and only have about two after the big 44" Lincoln sunroof tub it in.

Here's the quarter window issue. The previous owner welded in the fleetwood windows so now I get to cut it back out. The left and bottom strip will have to be cut back out.

Any ideas on the seatbelt mounting?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    In the 70s, GM mounted the seatbelt retractor to the roof....maybe you could get one of those and mount it to the floor
    (Just a thought)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.