Cadillac Owners Forum banner

84 Coupe Deville Project

153K views 758 replies 45 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new 84 Deville De'elegance. Blue on blue with the soft cloth seats. The outside looks good as does the inside. It has 142K with a bad tranny and a motor that wont idle down. I only had it running for 10 minutes but the temp light came on. I looked under the hood and saw some melted wiring and some small mods but it all looks intacked.

Completely stock interior looks to have survived very well with the only defect being the locks not working.

Then comes the bad parts. The rust on the drivers floor board, its the only part of the floor board with rust

There is a rust hole in this fender thats hard to see. You can see the tire, just not in the pic.

Never did a floor pan though, are they a pain to deal with? I havent had it on the lift yet but the rest of the frame looks good. The plan would be to switch over the complete drivetrain from the 90 to this 84, everything except the interior mods, I like the interior as is. I would need to put some gauges somewhere though, any ideas?

See less See more
#401 ·
Your seats look like they were made for the car. Also looks like the risers you made to adapt them to the car will work just fine. Centre console should finish it off nicely. Floor shifter on the cards? Will the seats roll forward enough to allow easy entry to the back seat area?? Nice work Sam!

Cheers........R

#408 ·
sam, how did you get the floor curve and dash bottom curve perfect? Paper template?
Also, gotta say, I love that console. I guess you're gonna wrap it in leather (vinyl?) What do you plan on putting in the stack, and will you leave the ashtray functional or simply cover it up?
I covered mine up because I don't smoke and to make it functional would take out a good part of the height of the center stack, which will be hiding a fuse block ,some relays, and a line driver, so I need the room (I also have vents for the floor heat).

#409 ·
I used cardboard to make a template and mdf for most of the console, the armrest is a thicker harder wood. My girl and I are gonna wrap it in orange vinyl tonight, no glue, just staples. Fabric store said it will work. I got some gauges for the stack that kinda flow with the car. Black faces with chrome bezels. I dont plan on using the tray. Gotta find a cigarette lighter socket to install somewhere.

Just playing about the orange, all black everything.

----------

#410 ·
Very nice man....mine is either poplar or walnut.
I am going to bolt a factory B/C body armrest onto the top of mine (gonna try to find one with storage....if I can't find one in tan, mine is still mint)

----------

As for cig lighter, might I suggest either one from the door of a caddy or a conversion van (the ones in the back area seem to be a slightly modified version on the GM cigar lighter)

#411 ·
I was thinking an aftermarket dual socket setup somehow. I just wish mine was as wide as yours. Got one panel covered, the folds in the vinyl were too hard to get out but thats the part that sits under the dash so hopefully its not bad. First I put some batting down, then the vinyl. Might try to fix it in the morning.

#412 ·
I'm not sure how I was able to get away with such a wide console. The seats just barely touch the console (no indents in the seats, and they still move freely).
I need to get a drivers side seat mech from a gen 1 S10/blazer/ etc so that I can make my drivers seat have the recline lever on the correct side. The lever is on the right side of the seat and is making the console sit crooked (about .5" off center at the dash).
I'm gonna go to the junkyard tomorrow and measure the width of the trofeo seats and compare to my gen 1 bravada seats....I really want to get a set of 90-92 trofeo seats (they're really comfortable and supportive IMO) and get them reupholstered in tan vinyl (I like leather, but vinyl feels just as good and is lower maintenance).

#421 · (Edited)
When switching from vinyl top to hardtop, what are all the differences?*I know you need the interior trim, hardtop window without halo ring, exterior window trim and clips to hold it on. My real question is about the rear window. Is the window actually bigger? I put my trim on and have a gap at the bottom between the window trim and decklid. Also, if the window was taller, it seems there would still be a gap between the trim and decklid. What am I missing? How do I fill the gap? The trim is held on by that pre-made windshield bead. Car is a little dirty from the woodwork on the center console...never do woodwork in a place you wanna keep clean.

Also found a reason the carpet isnt sitting flush is because I'm missing the padding that goes under the carpet up front.

#423 ·
Perhaps between hard top coupe and vinyl top coupe the rear deck is different. Maybe you can swap them out and presto. Or you can weld in piece of metal needed to fill gap.
Hmm, that trim sure does look familiar, lol

----------

Oh, window is the same size for all models; Sedan, Coupe, Fleetwood Brougham and Fleetwood Brougham coupe.

#426 ·
Really? Now that I didn't know. So basically all you need are the sides off the hardtop coupe because they're longer than the sedan hardtop? I feel bad. I didn't know, there were different. I wonder if the guys over on layitlow are aware of this, I never heard or read of anyone running into this like you did....

#427 ·
1980coupe said:
Really? Now that I didn't know. So basically all you need are the sides off the hardtop coupe because they're longer than the sedan hardtop? I feel bad. I didn't know, there were different. I wonder if the guys over on layitlow are aware of this, I never heard or read of anyone running into this like you did....
Is it possible his rear deck piece is off an electra or 98?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.