Cadillac Owners Forum banner

84 Coupe Deville Project

153K views 758 replies 45 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new 84 Deville De'elegance. Blue on blue with the soft cloth seats. The outside looks good as does the inside. It has 142K with a bad tranny and a motor that wont idle down. I only had it running for 10 minutes but the temp light came on. I looked under the hood and saw some melted wiring and some small mods but it all looks intacked.

Completely stock interior looks to have survived very well with the only defect being the locks not working.

Then comes the bad parts. The rust on the drivers floor board, its the only part of the floor board with rust

There is a rust hole in this fender thats hard to see. You can see the tire, just not in the pic.

Never did a floor pan though, are they a pain to deal with? I havent had it on the lift yet but the rest of the frame looks good. The plan would be to switch over the complete drivetrain from the 90 to this 84, everything except the interior mods, I like the interior as is. I would need to put some gauges somewhere though, any ideas?

See less See more
#325 ·
Make sure before you button the dash up that you do a trial fit with the top panel. I did my 81 car without doing that and when I came to finish it all up and put the top panel on, the dash was tilted slightly toward the seats making the alignment between the main dash and the top panel out of whack. The side seams didn't line up and it was too late to get in, loosen the dash and push it forward. No one has noticed it yet but it pisses me off.

Cheers......R.

#332 ·
Got the doors on...
They line up good but the passenger side door is messed up, the window frame is bent. Kinda like it was dropped on the window frame while being set down. And the paint doesnt match but I'll post more on that on my paint thread when I get the car together
Upsetting...window probably wont go in without some bending, twisting and banging and theres a big difference in the paint...
:(

----------

What about these seats from a Seville? Solves the seatbelt problem and opens up room for a center console.

#334 ·
How you searched that? Imma take a look...cant tell window frame is bent...at least not on my phone...was it difficult to adjust the door?
My driver side door was replaced and at the hinges its a lil lower and you can see the window frame on the inside of car and you're not supposed to. It closes and opens ok but it doesnt line up, a lil off...

----------

Are you going to install the Fleetwood coupe rockers, since it has the clips already on there or you gonna smooth them out and use the regular
coupe rockers?
I have the coupe rockers off my 80 coupe, don't need them since I installed the Fleetwood coupe rockers..

#335 ·
The corner of window frame is pushed in and towards the front of the car. I think I can fix it though. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the rockers, the ones off the blue car are messed up. I dont have plans to put the 90-92 panels on but I did put the 90 front header panel on.

For the plastic fix, look up plastic welding.

#336 ·
cool. By the way those seats would look awesome in the coupe and with a center console...does solve your seatbelt problem. Have you done a mock up? What about the rear? Same seats off of the Seville or from the coupe?
The rockers I have are in good shape even though they are 33 years old...two small nicks towards the bottom on either side but not noticeable since it's down low (2nd picture)..here's a few pics...there's a guy on layitlow that is interested but keeps delaying and making excuses...so first come, first serve

top one, that's not a ding on picture it shows up but when I saw the rocker and felt it, there's nothing there??

Can't tell there's a difference in color, in regards to the color of car

#337 ·
I havent bought the seats yet, he wants 175, maybe payday. The paint is different as far as the finish. Mine is dry, the shell was sprayed nice and wet, the reflection is totally different. I'll be posting on my paint thread soon, maybe tomorrow night. Rockers look good, it would be a while but I'd be interested eventually. Money's tight, gotta find a way to get these seats or hit the yard for some.

#338 ·
csbuckn said:
I havent bought the seats yet, he wants 175, maybe payday. The paint is different as far as the finish. Mine is dry, the shell was sprayed nice and wet, the reflection is totally different. I'll be posting on my paint thread soon, maybe tomorrow night. Rockers look good, it would be a while but I'd be interested eventually. Money's tight, gotta find a way to get these seats or hit the yard for some.
Sam, how are your armrests? I found a set of really nice crack/ split free white ones (maybe you could dye/ paint them) with the chrome trim on them in a 2 door park avenue (same as FWB or deville). Also got a dent free sill plate from it (going up on the parts for sale thread in a couple days)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.