84 Coupe Deville Project - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Coupe Deville Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; There should be no problem starting it with one (good) battery. Even with the coil disconnected, it should crank for ...
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 84 Coupe Deville Project

There should be no problem starting it with one (good) battery. Even with the coil disconnected, it should crank for a lonnnnggg time before depleting the battery. Check the alternator output, and the battery cables and connections.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

With checking the alt, should I just read the volts coming off or is there another way? 14.4v what it should be at?

Take it in and get it load tested. Check the battery connections on both ends, and the grounds, too. May as well get the battery load tested while you're there. Charge it up completely before going.

I have a load tester, I'll post the results. The last time, it passed.

Yes, but you should also get the alternator tested. It goes on a machine that uses an electric motor with a belt to spin it to check the output.

The one have test with the car running, with loads on and off and at high and low rpm...connected at the battery. It prints out the volts with and without load and a ripple chart. Think I should still take it off and bring it in?

Maybe it would be worthwhile to get a second opinion. Just thinking out loud. Something has to be wrong, for sure.

welhajjk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 cadillac coupe deville

That's a really nice ride csbuckn! I have a 1980 coupe deville with the 368...no where near the power of the 500 but love the car! mine is the same color as yours with the same interior!! I do have a question for you...i'm looking to upgrade my suspension system as well so I'm going to start with upgrading the springs and shocks. Did the impala SS springs fit easily or did you have any trouble? do you know of anyone that used the eibach lowered springs? i'm still debating whether I want to go with the slammed look but worried that I will have trouble driving over speed bumps and getting into my driveway since its on a bit of an incline...

thanks

Thanks. The Impala springs went in like the stock ones. Same indexing and spot as the stock ones, no mods needed. The shocks have to come out so you might as well replace them with Bilsteins or Monroe Severe Service ones. That will stiffen up the front end pretty good. I think Angry Matt has the Eibachs and I think his car looks better but I like the lowered look.

Thanks! His car is pretty nice. have you heard of anyone using the kyb gas-a-just shocks? any feedback?

Never had them but I hear good things about them. Probably worth the money if you plan on hitting the track. For street driving, the Bilsteins are probably enough.

definitely just for street driving but good to know that they are still good...

So, the deal is done on the body. Dont know when I will pic it up but he said I can keep it there. The dude that did all the work is a beast on body work. He documented the build on LIL...100+ pages. I couldnt even read it all, my eyes were hurting. He shaved the wiper setup and had trouble with the quarter windows.

If you're bored, the link;http://www.layitlow.com/forums/29-pr...pre-ident.html
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    So, the deal is done on the body. Dont know when I will pic it up but he said I can keep it there. The dude that did all the work is a beast on body work. He documented the build on LIL...100+ pages. I couldnt even read it all, my eyes were hurting. He shaved the wiper setup and had trouble with the quarter windows.

If you're bored, the link;http://www.layitlow.com/forums/29-pr...pre-ident.html
    What kind of a body deal did you do?

I traded a 98 Accord with 228K miles(with NO problems) for a brand new body for my coupe. The extra mile dude went to get this body right was amazing but he shaved the mounting area for the wiper motor and welded in some Brougham quarter window mounts or something. He deleted the heat and AC box at the firewall but I can live with that. The link above is to his project thread on LayitLow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.