Cadillac Owners Forum banner

84 Coupe Deville Project

153K views 758 replies 45 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new 84 Deville De'elegance. Blue on blue with the soft cloth seats. The outside looks good as does the inside. It has 142K with a bad tranny and a motor that wont idle down. I only had it running for 10 minutes but the temp light came on. I looked under the hood and saw some melted wiring and some small mods but it all looks intacked.

Completely stock interior looks to have survived very well with the only defect being the locks not working.

Then comes the bad parts. The rust on the drivers floor board, its the only part of the floor board with rust

There is a rust hole in this fender thats hard to see. You can see the tire, just not in the pic.

Never did a floor pan though, are they a pain to deal with? I havent had it on the lift yet but the rest of the frame looks good. The plan would be to switch over the complete drivetrain from the 90 to this 84, everything except the interior mods, I like the interior as is. I would need to put some gauges somewhere though, any ideas?

See less See more
#269 ·
Test fit the sunroof. Fits good but I wont be able to run the seatbelts in the stock location. I need about five inches and only have about two after the big 44" Lincoln sunroof tub it in.

Here's the quarter window issue. The previous owner welded in the fleetwood windows so now I get to cut it back out. The left and bottom strip will have to be cut back out.

Any ideas on the seatbelt mounting?

#271 ·
Mount them on the doors like those found in the 90-92, but of course that'll require a lil modification here and there.

----------

Furthermore, what are you gonna do about the drip rail trim above the quarter windows? Are you gonna weld back jn the lip and get yourself the correct length trim since the one it has is cut...

#276 ·
Got the moonroof mounted up. Seems to work good but it doesnt open up all the way. It opens most of the way but maybe there is a stop that I need to remove to get it to open the other 25%. Lost a little less then 2" of headroom. Also got the quarter windows cut up and ready for the trim. Gonna finish them tonight if the last of the motor mounts dont come in today. If they do come in, I'll be putting it on the frame. :)

I planned for about 2 months to do this. Yesterday was 2 months so a little behind schedule but hopefully its just by a week.

The best it gets. I had to cut and weld the tabs in a different spot but it lined up perfectly.

My girl lined the interior sunroof door with crushed velour and spray on stuff but the spray doesnt work that good so its coming down a little in the corners. We couldnt find anything in balboa blue. This will probably be coming back down to remove the stop thats keeping it from opening so I'll redo it.

#280 ·
I working on something to keep the seatbelts on the roof. I'll post pics if it works out. For the body mounts, I got 14 Anchor 2714 body mounts made for a bubble caprice/impala. They should work out. I'm just gonna lower the body slowly and fill any gaps with the spacers that I got off the car but the caddy mounts look to all be the same height. These new ones actually look just like the ones I pulled off the car. We didnt get the car together tonight but I'll let you know how they go on when we do get it together.

#282 ·
Thanks for the info man. I'm going to be doing the ones on my 78 fleetwood soon. I heard on the bubble caprices the regular ones use metal spacers for the lower body mounts and the 9c1 cop car caprices use a heavy duty pink rubber lower body mount in place of the metal lowers. Have you heard that at all? Did your kit come with enough rubber mounts?

#285 ·
Sam.......these cars are notorious for water leaks underneath the panel between the back glass and the deck lid. The sealer used by GM appears to have been from some "lowest bidder" supplier which invariably dried out, cracked and let water in. My 81 car let more water in proportionally than the Titanic did when it sank. I neglected to get under those corners and re-seal them when I did the back glass replacement.

Cheers......R.

#287 ·
Sam....It's not the butyl sealer between the glass and the pinch-weld around the opening where the glass is located that causes the leak. It is the sealer that GM used to seal the panels that come together underneath the parcel tray, the sail panel and the hinge mounts. I can't really say for sure because I am too big to get in there and take a look but since I am faced with sealing up my 81 car, I can get a small person to go in with a camera and snap some photos of the troublesome area if you would like.

Cheers.........R.

#288 · (Edited)
So, I got some better pics about the seatbelt situation. The red circles show the mounting holes but you can see a 1 inch increase in the housing prevents it from sitting flat.

The other side.

Where can I mount it?????

Got the last of the body mounts in today so I'm ready as soon as I can get someone over to help.

Also got the quarter windows in tonight, went pretty smooth. Some trim is gone but the bodywork prevents it from going on. He put a lot of mud around the quarter windows and I had to do some drilling and mods just to get the windows in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.