84 Coupe Deville Project - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Coupe Deville Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Square gauges were used on 82 to 85 Olds 98's. They were below the speedo cluster and were an option ...
    carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 84 Coupe Deville Project

Square gauges were used on 82 to 85 Olds 98's. They were below the speedo cluster and were an option mostly found on the diesel cars.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Here's the latest video...Hopefully one of these youtube links work
    http://youtu.be/sZA3Tdx5ZNo
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sZA3Tdx5ZNo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    This noise started yesterday. I took a drive to a meat market about 30 minutes away and parked it for about 15 minutes, no hard driving and no noise when parked. Come outside, start it and hear the noise but its quieter and goes away when you hit the gas. The car runs fine, just a noise, I see nothing wrong under the hood but it sounds like its the valvetrain on the passanger side. Drive home 30 minutes with no problems, just the noise at stoplights. Took the valve covers off and see nothing out of place, even with the engine running. I disconnected the tranny and still have the noise, I'm starting to think its the oil pickup tube loose. I have a friend with an inspection camera coming soon so we can take a peak in the oil pan. We'll see what happens. It runs fine and, even though I havent put a gauge on it, it runs like it has good oil pressure. Then noise is getting worse and worse the more the engine runs but the motor runs fine.

So I just spent some time out with the car. I was able to get it up to temp with no problems and it ran fine. The more the temp went up, the quieter the sound got, to the point that it would go away until I'd hit the gas, then made the sound when the RPMs went back down. I was under the car with it running with and automotive stethoscope and it sounds like its coming from the very bottom of the pan right around the area that the pickup tube comes from. It doesnt sound like a bearing to me because its not in tune with the RPM and the sound is very random. Another video of some of last night and then the noise today.
    http://youtu.be/rZpgwXx3kDw

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

sounds like you should take the oil pan off and have a look!

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

I'd pull the oil filter and cut it open, look at the paper for metal.

Dropped the oil and filter and cut it open, everything looks good. Looks like I'll be pulling the pan...

I'd check the flywheel to torque converter bolts.

It is the flexplate to crankshaft bolts, they are loose and the flexplate moves back and forth a little. Just glad to see its not another bearing. Thanks again.
    outsider and outsider like this.

Make sure the flex plate holes aren't elongated! Make sure they're the correct bolts as well, not too long.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Loctite!
    BigCadMan_1 and BigCadMan_1 like this.

Got the new flexplate on, everything is back to normal. One of the bolts was almost all the way out, had about a turn or two left before it fell out.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

What a pain huh? I am always scared of that happening. I always loctite them and torque them extra tight. You must have most of the bugs out of it now so it's time to enjoy it.

So I'm having trouble with the battery setup I have in the Coupe. I'm running two 78 series batteries in parrallel and they keep draining. This did happened when I had them in the 90 but not as fast. I just got two new batteries under warranty so I dont want these to go bad again. This is the third set of batteries(thanks to the warranty) and I hate going out to the car to see the dome lights not come on, its upsetting. Do I have these wired correctly? Batteries running parrallel, positive to positive-negative to negative. Alt wire going to one battery. One battery powers the starter, one powers the acc terminal. Should I isolate the batteries and run an alt wire to both? After charging the batteries, the car will have power from anywhere from a day to a week. Sometimes when I turn the key off, a couple dummy lights will blink and drain the battery. I can cycle the key on and off and the blinking dummy lights will go off. Got me thinking I should look into my ignition now but is the dual battery setup right?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Why not just run one battery? You can get battery isolators from an RV shop, but you really shouldn't need two batteries. One good 78 is more than enough.

It starts a little better with two batteries. When I use one battery, it has a hard time cranking it over and sometimes dies before it starts. Maybe I should try one battery and sees if it drains.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.