Restoring my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Restoring my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Time has finally come to begin the restoration process on my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham. The car was purchased brand new ...
    83 Fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Restoring my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Time has finally come to begin the restoration process on my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham. The car was purchased brand new by my late grandfather back in 1982, and I have had the car for about 10 years now. The car has 30,797 original miles and is in overall great condition.

The car had been down in Boca Raton Florida since around 1985-2001 at my grandparents condo, and despite being garaged the front end must have been subject to more sea air than the rear. There is a little bit of surface rust around the edges of the hood, a few blisters in the front chrome bumper and the side mirrors and door handles chrome covering is pitted. The hood springs rusted out, and recently burst a brakeline to the master cylinder.

I had left the car at my ex-wifes house for the past 5 years, because I had no place for it, she got tired of it being there so I went to move it and burst a brake line near the master cylinder which is a game changer. I towed the car to a friends house that is a mechanic, and has a lift which makes things a lot easier to work on.

All this has finally motivated me to get her back on the road vs. being abandoned and left for dead.

Immediate needs are:

Replacing
    *all brake lines
    *all hoses
    *belts
    *plugs/wires
    *air cleaner
    *oil/filter
    *fuel filter
    *radiator flush
    *tires
    *rear Brakes (fronts were replaced 5 years ago, very few miles driven)
    *Hood springs

I will also be looking to replace the headliner which deteriorated several years ago.

all exterior door handles, and side mirrors with OEM replacements

will look into cost on re-chroming the front bumper.

Looking to get information on good, reputable parts suppliers for Cadillac's

Here are a few pics I took the day the brake line burst, More pics to follow probably this weekend. I actually washed her for the first time in 5+ years last night and didn't take any pics as it was too dark out. But she looked good!

James

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: Restoring my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Wow James! Nice color combination on that beautiful Fleetwood! Good luck sprucing it up, I think you will be pleased once you give the car the love it deserves and then you can drive a super cool car! I love it! Have fun and we're all here to help. Dave

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The good news is that most all the parts on this car can be sourced from any reputable auto parts store. Many here swear by Rock Auto. Trim pieces will likely have to be sourced from ebay or the local j-yard. Best of luck in your restoration!

Thanks guys! Made me feel good last night to give her a long needed bath, I remember every single time when I used to drive her, I would get either a compliment or people asking me if I would sell it. I actually had people knock on my door to ask if I would sell it.

The answer was and will be the same, Not selling as it was my Grandfather's car and means more to me than the money she is worth.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado 4.9

Real nice Cadillac, looks like your on the right track to bringing her back. Keep us posted & all the best.

P.S. all the info you'll need you will find here.

bstrang6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade, 2004 Seville SLS, 1989 Brougham

I would suggest doing the headliner yourself bud. I recently redid mine and it came out pretty darn good. If you need any tips shoot me a pm or email at Bstrang6@gmail.com... I learned a few things along the way and would enjoy helping you not make the mistakes I did. All in all I spent ~40 dollars to redo mine.
    jamespowers and jamespowers like this.

Thanks Bestrang6! I will definitely be in touch in regards to the headliner. I have mechanical skills and prefer to do as much of this work myself as possible! When I removed the original headliner I was happy that the interior was vinyl/leather seats because cloth would have been nightmare to clean up. That stuff (black backing) was everywhere when it was over.

ag42b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham

I'm really glad you are bringing her back!

It seems to be a little difficult finding exterior door handles and OEM left and right mirrors (That say Cadillac) can anyone steer me in the right direction. Or am I pretty much going to have to go to a junkyard to get these items.

Thanks,

James

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by 83 Fleetwood View Post
    It seems to be a little difficult finding exterior door handles and OEM left and right mirrors (That say Cadillac) can anyone steer me in the right direction. Or am I pretty much going to have to go to a junkyard to get these items.

Thanks,

James
    short of finding NOS ones that have been tucked away for 20+ years, these are junkyard only items.

----------

btw, whats wrong with your door handles?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    short of finding NOS ones that have been tucked away for 20+ years, these are junkyard only items.

----------

btw, whats wrong with your door handles?
    They work perfectly just the chrome is pitted due to the salt water air in Florida, and would look better if they were shiny non pitted door handles.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I was just in Phoenix last week, and went to Desert Valley Auto Parts. They don't have cars as new as yours, but I saw Caddies from the 60's with perfect chrome. I would suggest looking online for a regular wrecking yard in Phoenix to help you out. My 78 coupe has the same problem as yours, and also only has 45k on it. It just must be the humidity up north, or the salt air in Florida that ruins the chrome. Honestly, the chrome on the cars in the yard was just unreal, so look out in the dry desert southwest for your stuff. Great looking car, by the way. Good luck.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*

How bad is the pitting? My door handles have some pitting, from the general Ohio shitiness, but I polish them and it's not as noticeable.

I use Bar Keeper's Friend and some fine/extra fine steel wool on all of my stainless chrome.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Another great trick is to polish chrome with tin foil from the kitchen. Hard to believe until you try it.It is softer than the chrome so it doesn't scratch.Just bunch it up and start rubbing.Mirrors are available at $160.00 each with remote cable.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    You can go over to layitlow.com in the parts section and look for a thread that's over 400 pages long for 80-92 Brougham/deville parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.