Restoring my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Restoring my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by csbuckn try unplugging the horns. The radio display might be going out. thanks I will try that. ...
    83 Fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Restoring my 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    try unplugging the horns. The radio display might be going out.
    thanks I will try that. I will also try to take a video next time it happens so you all can hear what I'm talking about.

James

Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

It looks like you are already ahead of the game (it seems like most FWB's of this vintage would need a lot of work just to get up to the condition that you are starting from). Can you take some pics of how bad your mirrors are? if the three Broughams in still in the local yard around here and they look better, I would't mind pulling them taking pics and sending them, if you don't like them I will just hold on to them (just reimburse the shipping, and what ever the yard charges, if you or your grandfather is/was a veteran I will pass along my the 20% veterans discount). Also I think I may have the two long yellow front "blinkers"/driving lights with the art deco style winged crest that go below the double headlights if you wanted to modify (I thought these were standard OEM on all 1980-89 models, but gotta double check. PM me for details.

Also a few places online sell or specialize on new OEM style/color molded* model specific floor carpeting for under or around $200 but I am not sure which ones are better quality than the others.

That is such a beautiful car, very happy you are keeping her running and on the road!

Also, just curious, if your model has electroluminescent lamps, and if they function, what they look like turned on at night?

-Vlad

*molded as in "pre-shaped", not "molded" as in hosting fungus haha, just to be clear

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I have 2 sets of orange blinker lights....one with gold wings and one without wings (there are also ones with silver wings but I've only ever seen one set).
    I also have spare door handles, but I'd have to swap my doors first (ones on my car are in pretty good shape with only some minor scratching but the ones on the new doors are excellent)
    I also have a spare set of nice mirrors somewhere (have a couple small pits on the top but no chrome discoloration and they look good.)
    I don't have any blue carpet mats though (I have a set of bordello red and a couple tan sets)

I appreciate it fellas! I will take pictures of the mirrors and door handles tomorrow and post pictures, the carpet and floor mats are in excellent condition, same with the seats. The headliner was collapsed in the rear and loose elsewhere so I removed it years ago along with the black sponge-like material that covered everything in the interior and had to be vacuumed up afterwards.

electroluminescent lights? Are you referring to the dash lighting?

I was referring to the exterior decorative accent lights known as "opera lights" on the center "B-pillar" (between the front and right doors). On some GM models so equipped especially earlier one they are incandescent (like traditional 20th century household lightbulbs) later models of some makes including Broughams, not sure about FWBs used a 120 Volt AC (like the kind in your home if you live in the US) "electroluminescent" or "EL" light that required a rear mounted "inverter" and later two side mounted inverters to use the car's 12 volt DC system.

If your car uses "eL" opera lights and they wear out (due to damage from UV radiation exposure from sunlight and/or normal usage "burning out", they are no longer in production and the part is specific to the particular model range, and the el panel (the part that lights) isa very thin film fused into the lens/moulding. Since even if never operated but exposed to UV rays from being out doors, even low milage ones salvaged are usually inoperable. An exaggerated metaphor would be like if a red plastic tail lens could only be repaired by removing or leaching the "red" from the lens while not destroying lens making it clear then putting or infusing a working "red" back into it, while the lenses or "red" are no longer produced. While as far as I know, that scenario is theoretical and impossible, in practice for most of us "repairing" el lights to stock is just as impossible. The limited demand makes manufacturing reproduction stock lights impractical for now. But with the rapidly advancing technology/dropping costs of 3D printing and EL lighting, there is still a shimmer of hope.

Thanks Vlad. I looked into it further after seeing the question and learned alot, especially how to repair them if they don't work. I honestly don't know if they work currently or not, but will check soon to see if they do. I'm assuming they only come on with either the interior lights or when the door/s are opened. I am curious now,and if it wasn't raining outside I'd go and check. If they aren't working I will be fixing them. I read a neat article on how to do it with EL strips so that they will last another 20 years or so.

If they are working I will take pics in the night time and post them here.

James

----------

Vlad I see you are in Virginia, whereabouts? I am in MD

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by 83 Fleetwood
    Thanks Vlad. I looked into it further after seeing the question and learned alot, especially how to repair them if they don't work. I honestly don't know if they work currently or not, but will check soon to see if they do. I'm assuming they only come on with either the interior lights or when the door/s are opened. I am curious now,and if it wasn't raining outside I'd go and check. If they aren't working I will be fixing them. I read a neat article on how to do it with EL strips so that they will last another 20 years or so.

If they are working I will take pics in the night time and post them here.

James

----------

Vlad I see you are in Virginia, whereabouts? I am in MD
    They come on with the headlamps.

they come on with the headlights or parking lights on.

the lil plastic light outside between the driver and passenger side windows. On '80s models with EL opera lights I am pretty sure if one fails. the other wont come on (like Christmas lights) I have pulled a pair from an 87 or 88 and the inverter but not the wiring in-between, they seem to have a jumper wire between them that makes both part of the same circuit.

I am back and forth between my apartment in Richmond and my parents (recently deceased) house in Newport News. For parts I have had lots of luck with Chesterfield Auto they have three yards in central VA around Richmond and you can search inventory online and add a model year and get an email when they get one in stock. Obviously I would wait til the Fall as summer traffic on I-95 (to make it to Union Station by 10AM on any weekday, I have to usually leave Richmond at 4:30am and park at the Franconia Metro stop, traffic/road maintenance free its less than 2 hours) is so much fun. There are pick and pull salvage yards in the Southside (VA beach, Norfolk, Suffolk, Chesapeake etc, but unless I am going to the Outer Banks in NC there is no way I am driving East on I-64 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel during tourist season.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.