93 Brougham. Think head gasket is blown, Estimated repair cost??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 93 Brougham. Think head gasket is blown, Estimated repair cost?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It has 165k miles on it. If it turns out the headgasket is in fact blown, I'm wondering roughly how ...
    JBrown5390 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

93 Brougham. Think head gasket is blown, Estimated repair cost??

It has 165k miles on it. If it turns out the headgasket is in fact blown, I'm wondering roughly how much would this type of repair cost me?

And considering, the rear side window (small one) is busted out, the blower motor needs replaced since it very rarely will kick on, plus I'm assuming I have an exhaust leak somewhere since one day the engine just had a different, louder sound to it (Not in a good way either). Is it even worth it to drop this much cash into an 18 year old Caddy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Re: 93 Brougham. Think head gasket is blown, Estimated repair cost??

what makes you think the head gasket is blown? A thorough description of the issues you have with the car would be helpful.
    have you checked your coolant and oil?
    when a head gasket blows, these 2 fluids will often mix, as well as enter the combustion chamber, causing the exhaust fumes to smell atypical (a mixture of sweet and burnt). when you check the oil, it will smell burnt or scorched, as well as have a lighter brown (like chocolate milk) or will be thinner or thicker than usual. the coolant resevoir will have light brown liquid (like mud or chocolate milk) sit on top of the coolant in the resevoir if the car sits long enough, or the coolant will be brown instead of green.
    the car will (depending on the severity of the leak) appear to have no power after warming up and will not accelerate very well. as you drive more and more, the engine will seem to keep losing power gradually.
    the engine may also have a lifter tick, run noisily, and the transmission may not shift correctly. the engine will probably overheat if you drive it long enough.
    Again, all of the above listed are possible symtoms of a head gasket leak. not every car with a blown head gasket will have all of these symptoms, and some of these symptoms can be indicative of other issues.
    as for the other issues
    the side window and blower motor are something you can do yourself if you are even slightly mechanically inclined.
    you're looking at about $40 for used parts if you pull them yourself from a junkyard. just make sure the blower you get spins freely by hand.

JBrown5390 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

Out of every potential sign of a blown head gasket you listed I know for a fact my car has every one of them except the problems with the 2 fluids mixing, once the rain slows down I'll have a look under the hood to check the reservoir and oil. I tried to check it out 2 days ago but it was dark and I couldn't be 100% sure if there was a problem with either of the fluids.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I'd say its either a head gasket or possibly the catalytic converter. when those clog up, they cause all sorts of issues.
    how soon after you start the car (after its been sitting all night) does it start losing power/ having issues?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.