1991 Brougham Extremely Loose Steering
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1991 Brougham Extremely Loose Steering in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am trying to troubleshoot a loose steering issue on my 1991 Fleetwood Brougham. There is an excessive amount of ...
    longwhitecadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham

1991 Brougham Extremely Loose Steering

I am trying to troubleshoot a loose steering issue on my 1991 Fleetwood Brougham. There is an excessive amount of "slop" while driving- I can turn the wheel an inch or so in either direction without having any significant effect on the steering. It makes for some interesting experiences during high speed higway driving, especially on curves.

I rebuilt the front end last summer, so there are no issues on front end wear, and the alignment seems correct- the car will track straight and not pull to either side.

There seems to be a lot of looseness between the intermediate shaft and where it attaches to the steering box. I have been looking at other posts on the forum and they mention a set screw adjustment on the steering box, as well as the possibility of a worn out "rag joint."

I am pretty sure the steering box is the original 1991 unit. Will replacing the box resolve this issue? Also, what would be the procedure to replace the rag joint?

I had a "chain" auto shop look at the problem a couple of weeks ago and all they could come up with was to check and repack the wheel bearings and have another alignment done. They seemed to think everything was "tight" with the steering box, but I am skeptical of their diagnosis due to the fact that the intermediate shaft attachment to the box is so sloppy you can rotate it back and forth without impacting steering.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I love the car, but it is becoming borderline dangerous at high speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

-Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1991 Brougham Extremely Loose Steering

The "rag joint" is connected to the shaft up close to the firewall. Fairly straight forward job to replace if worn. adjusting the screw on the box would not help with this much play. go to an alignment shop and show them the play on the shaft, should be easy to diagnose.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I don't think you should be able to move the joint by hand so it probably needs to go. Your box probably has play in it from normal wear but a new joint should tighten up the steering.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.