Need opinions on 1996 Fleetwood Brougham..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Need opinions on 1996 Fleetwood Brougham.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I currently own a 99 base deville. It is a great ride but I've put in over $2500 ...
    Arunan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Deville

Need opinions on 1996 Fleetwood Brougham..

Hi all,

I currently own a 99 base deville. It is a great ride but I've put in over $2500 fixing the head gasket and now I have serious oil leak & blue smoke (when accelerating after idling).

I am looking to get rid of the Deville and purchase a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham. I love the way this car looks. What are your thoughts on this car compared to the Deville? Is the 5.7L LT1 a reliable engine? I saw one with 71000 Miles for $8000.00.

Your thoughts will be helpful as I don't know much about these cars other than the fact that they look great and ride well.

Arun

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: Need opinions on 1996 Fleetwood Brougham..

I made the switch from Devilles to the Fleetwood last year. Obviously the Fleetwoods are older, but even a same-year comparison of the Deville vs. Fleetwood shows some major differences. The Fleetwood is a lot more primitive, with very few "bells and whistles" compared to the Deville. And, this is perfectly fine for me. They are easy to work on and the 5.7L LT1 is pretty much bullet proof. The only thing I really miss about my Devilles is the heated seats, but not all Devilles had them anyway, nor do all Fleetwoods. The Devilles have a sportier, tighter feel to them, too (though the Devilles I've owned have been the DTS and Concours, both with the higher output and upgraded suspension).

All in all I'm glad I made the switch. The Fleetwoods have a classic Cadillac look about them that GM forgot about in the Devilles.

Arunan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Deville

Yes the Fleetwoods certainly carry the classic look and I don't think we will ever see boats like that from GM again. I think 1996 was the last year. I am not too worried about the bells & whistles that would be missing on the Fleetwood. As long as I don't get hit by major engine issues, I will be thrilled to cruise in one of these.

Thanks for your input Turbo...

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

I say go for it! These are great cars mechanically speaking, and wont give you any serious problems over the long haul compared to the Deville's. They are also bigger inside and out, you get the feeling like you own the freeways since cars like the Fleetwoods are long gone.

The longer body, and chrome paneling make the "Modern" styled Fleetwoods look much better than the short and stubby Devilles. The sleek streamlined look and real chrome bumpers gives the Fleetwood a sexy classic Cadillac presence that other modern Cad's don't do as well.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I also formely owned Northstar fitted car to LT1 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham . This engine compared to erratic Nstar is more reliable by far distance . Chrome bumpers really make difference such a shame they discontinued these marvellous trim pieces in later models

Turning circle is also nice for a car this big

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I have a 93 Fleetwood at my vacation home in Florida, and I love it. It sits for months on end until we show up, I put the battery in it, it starts and goes. I have had it for a little over 2 years, and have had no problems with it at all. Contrast this with my parents 2 miles down the road with a 95 Seville. There is always something wrong with their car, and it receives excellent care at all times. The 'wood rides like it is on a cloud (especially with 4 new Runway Enduro tires), is super quiet, and if you ever need to carry 4 or 5 people, it is easy to do. I always drive when we take my parents out shopping or out to dinner, and the huge rear doors and back seat are very easy for my elderly parents to get in and out of. And, even non car people notice such a huge classy old barge and love it. I say go for it, and don't listen to people who say to stay away from the 93 model. It may not have the pep of the 94-96 models, but it still has plenty of power when you need it.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

When an opportunity arises to pick up one of these cars, you need to jump on it fast. They are harder to come by, and people want them believe me. I waited on one before I got my current FW, and the car sold the same day ( within an hour) it was posted on Craigslist.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.