1967 Coupe Deville - Replacing Mono AM-FM with *Stock* Cadillac Stereo
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1967 Coupe Deville - Replacing Mono AM-FM with *Stock* Cadillac Stereo in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All, I recently purchased a 67 Coupe Deville. The stock (mono) AM-FM radio that is in the car currently ...
    polaris26 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1967 Coupe DeVille

1967 Coupe Deville - Replacing Mono AM-FM with *Stock* Cadillac Stereo

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 67 Coupe Deville. The stock (mono) AM-FM radio that is in the car currently doesn't work. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1967 Cadillac *Stereo* AM/FM radio with the separate amplifier module. My question is: How much work would it be for me to "upgrade" my car to the optional stereo model radio? Did the stereo model have two speakers (in the rear I am assuming), or four speakers, like a modern car would? Can I use any modern style speakers or do they have any special specs I need to be aware of? Where does the amplifier mount? Is this retrofit any more difficult than installing the typical aftermarket stereo?

thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1967 Coupe Deville - Replacing Mono AM-FM with *Stock* Cadillac Stereo

Dave,

This is GM we're talking about. Swapping in the factory stereo is easy. There are four speaker, two front, two rear. The hardest part will be finding a stereo dash pad to replace the mono dash pad in the car now. The amplifier mounts behind the dash, just to the left of the glove box IIRC. After that, it's just a matter of wiring up the speakers. The factory speakers for these cars tend to have a lower resistance than most modern aftermarket speakers. The exact specs should be in the 1967 FSM. They can be a bit pricey, but they're worth it, since using speakers with higher resistance will eventually blow the radio's transistors.

Good luck with your swap!

Craig

polaris26 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1967 Coupe DeVille

Hi Craig - thanks for the info. Assuming I can find the right dash pad, would that be more work than it's worth vs. say putting speakers on the side panels under the dash like a lot of cars have for aftermarket stereos? Dollar-wise, between the dash pad, the vintage stereo radio itself, the extra (correct) speakers, this "upgrade" would add up to quite a lot of cash outlay, so maybe it's not even worth doing. Sounds like just as much work and expense as putting in a modern sound system. The only plus would be it would be what the car would have had stock if it had had that AM/FM stereo option. I looked at the dealer option list for the 1967 DeVille Stereo AM/FM radio and it is listed for $288 in 1967 dollars! This would be about $1900 today!

On the other hand, I have seen modern radios with mp3 inputs that fit the existing Cadillac dashboard and control layout (the 'Custom Autosound' models). Does anyone have experience with these?

thanks,
    Dave

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

A lot of guys do the modern radios with the two front speakers concealed under the mono radio front speaker grille. It lacks a bit for bass, but the overall sound quality is acceptible. I'm personally against cutting kick panels or door panels as it destroys the originality of the car and IMO looks hoopty. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's all easily undone, or the car will be forever dead to the serious collector.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

^I agree. whatever your decision, do not hack up the doors or kick panels. I've seen it done so many times and it never looks even remotely tasteful or original.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

My 69 had such a kind of adaptation. Originally had the AM/FM stereo with 4 speakers (radio is dead). Most probably front speakers stopped working properly and new mid 70s were installed on the kick panels. It looked a botched job so I took them out and restored kick panels when I did interior. If you have the mono pad and donīt want to change it, one option is installing 2 front speakers under the dash, looking down. Holes for screws would be out of sight and they can be easily uninstalled in the future.

Iīm considering installing one of these modern-classic radios on my caddy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-71-72-...sories&vxp=mtr They can keep the exterior original appearance of your carīs radio with a modern mechanism, including a direct input for all modern sound devices.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.