Power Antenna Wiring
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Power Antenna Wiring in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I bought my Brougham a few weeks ago, the power antenna was broken completely off and the bezel was ...
    TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (70K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Power Antenna Wiring

When I bought my Brougham a few weeks ago, the power antenna was broken completely off and the bezel was gone...nothing more than a hole in the fender. I looked around and was unable to find a Cadillac replacement...so I bought an aftermarket replacement. I got it installed, but something happened that made me question the wiring setup...

The replacement antenna has, in addition to the solid antenna wire, three other wires...a black ground wire, a red power wire (to a "hot at all times" source) and a blue (switched) wire.

I cut the connector and a little bit of wiring from my old antenna and connected the blue (switched) wire to the green wire of the pigtail, attached the ground wire to a ground and ran a wire from the battery-positive post over the wheel-well to the red antenna wire. The gray and white wires on the pigtail remain unused.

I did not have any problems with the antenna working...it went up when the car was on and the radio on...went down if I turned off the radio...and went down when the car turned off. BUT...2 days later, I went to leave for work in the morning and my car was as dead as a floating tuna. With nobody around to jumpstart the car, I paid $55 to have a tow truck jump it and off to work I go. Before the tow truck got there, I disconnected the red power wire from the battery-positive post and never reconnected it. I've never had a problem with my go going dead again (knocking on wood).

Could it have been a coincidence and perhaps a door was left ajar? Maybe. It was 2 days later and I drove the car the night before with no problems. But I wanted to get y'all's opinion as to the wiring setup before I try to reconnect the power wire again.

I've yet to get a service manual for my car...but am working on it. So I don't know what the gray and white wires on the original antenna are connected to. I couldn't tell from testing them as to exactly what they do. Should I have wired the replacement antenna differently?

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Power Antenna Wiring

Pretty simple check. Connect an ammeter inline with the battery and the red wire. Any reading with the car off means your battery is going to run down.

Brilliant. I'll do that then. Thanks much!

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

The connector should have 3 colored wires; green, grey and white. To raise antenna up Green+ and Grey-; to lower antenna White+ Green-
    When I bought an aftermarket antenna, I just hooked it up to the radio, so when radio is turned on, antenna goes up or when turned off, antenna goes down. Never had a problem like that you mention. But it's time for a new one, it finaaly gave out. Just like the original one, you can hear the motor on but the mast doesn't do anything...

Thanks, 1980coupe, for the info. It is info that I wanted, for sure.

I've done a lot of wiring jobs in cars, but the wiring set up with the Green+Gray and the Green+White is more complicated, I guess. I'm trying to visualize it, but... (perhaps I'm in need of caffiene).

At any rate. Considering the aftermarket antenna's wiring setup...is there a way to connect the red (power) wire to either the gray or white wires (...or both?) and make it work properly? I don't particularly like having a wire running from the battery-positive post (above the wheel well) going round the front of the car to the other side to connect to the antenna. I'd like to make it neat in there, if possible.

I'm still going to check out the wiring with an ohmmeter this weekend to be sure the aftermarket wiring setup is not draining the battery...if I have to leave the wiring as it is.

You shouldn't need any power from the battery. The wires in the factory harness have all the power it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    You shouldn't need any power from the battery. The wires in the factory harness have all the power it needs.
    Originally, I had tried to run the red (power) wire to one of the wires in the harness, but I couldn't get the antenna to work properly, so I ran the red wire to the battery-positive post (as per the installation instructions on the aftermarket antenna; which say to connect the red wire to a "hot at all times" source). The antenna works perfectly with red to battery...but until I can verify that it wasn't the cause of the dead battery, I don't trust it...so it remains unconnnected at the moment. I like your idea of using the factory harness, but I don't know if it is compatible with the aftermarket antenna's wiring setup. It seems the factory antenna had a different way to rec'v power to go up than it did to go down.

just follow the instructions on the supplied wiring diagrams. that's what i did on mine, but never had any problems with it draining the battery of power. something else must be doing that on your car.

are you connecting to a stock radio or an aftermarket? On mine it's connected to an aftermarket radio that I concealed in the glove box, the antenna wire is connected to the back of the radio, the red wire to a constant source (to battery, both antenna and battery on same side) ground wire connected to the ground lead on the blower and the blue "remote" wire to the remote wire leading out of the aftermarket radio harness. But as of right now the ground wire is disconnected because the antenna I replaced gave out, so time for a new one...

I had a few days off, so I wasn't committed to needing my car if the battery drained. Therefore, on Saturday, I reconnected the antenna. So far, no battery draining (knocking on wood). I think you're right...something else caused it. I've been checking the car each night before going to bed to be sure the doors are closed properly and the glove box is not open. I now realize how much I miss the battery rundown protection on my 2001 Park Avenue.

By the way, it's the stock radio. When I removed the broken factory antenna, I kept its connector to the factory wiring connection. I used the blue (switched) wire from the replacement antenna to connect to the green factory (switched) wire on the factory antenna's wiring pigtail. The red (power at all times) is connected to the battery-positive post. The black is grounded to the fender (using one of the mounting screws under the hood) and the antenna cable itself was disconnected from the factory antenna and the aftermarket cable plugged into the end.

I'd love to not have the power wire running round the front of the car and would love to just use the factory antenna's wiring pigtail to supply all power...however, clearly, the factory antenna and the replacement antenna are internally wired differently, so...it is what it is. Perhaps one day, I'll find a factory replacement for it...

Thanks all for your help on this.

You could simply run that red antenna wire inside to a switched 12v+ on the fuse box. The antenna would only work when the car is on, but it would never drain your battery

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Have you tried usapartssupply.com for the original equipment antenna?? Page 81 of their catalogue......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.