Nineteen eighty cadillac fleetwood brougham questions. Pls Help! Trouble codes etc.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Nineteen eighty cadillac fleetwood brougham questions. Pls Help! Trouble codes etc. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can anyone tell me how to recieve trouble codes or the like from a 1980 fleetwood brougham delegance? Cant seem ...
    Vision2099 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance 2 door coupe

Exclamation Nineteen eighty cadillac fleetwood brougham questions. Pls Help! Trouble codes etc.

Can anyone tell me how to recieve trouble codes or the like from a 1980 fleetwood brougham delegance? Cant seem to find the ecc and turning the key off and on three times doesnt produce any codes either. Trying to get it to pass smog and the check engine light is on. i pushed the bulb back and it passed smog about 3 years ago then I replaced thengine and it didnt pass since. Im thinking either something electronic wasnt hooked up correctly to the new engine or the cat converter is bad... Any suggestions? Ps. I got an oil change and spark pluggs replaced and still didnt pass.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Nineteen eighty cadillac fleetwood brougham questions. Pls Help! Trouble codes et

1980 does not have diagnostic capabilities. Cadillac started offering diagnostic capabilities through the (Digital) ECC in '81.

Re: Nineteen eighty cadillac fleetwood brougham questions. Pls Help! Trouble codes et

I was afraid of that.... Is there any manual way of finding what may be wrong with what, or do I have to pay someone to replace all electrical under the hood? How do I check the 02 sensor or any of the other electrical things that may be causing the check engine light? Besides not passing smog the electrical for my heater, ac, and opra lamps are not working. Replaced heater core but fan will not ber on and blow any air.. Have no idea what to do to fix it. A mechanic said he had to replace the whole brain and it would takes a week or two and would cost around 600. and I dont know of that would for sure fixmy not passing smog issue. It was high around 5% emmisions

I just realized you're in California. Cadillacs in 1980, build for California Emissions, had to have the 1981 computer controls. There are no "Self Diagnostic" abilities, like with newer cars, but the computers have an Assembly Line Data Link (ALDL) connected to them. The ALDL should be the same OBD-I connector used in '81, and your mechanic might be able to access the computer's memory with a scanner.

In '80, the connectors were not accessible under the dash, but were placed by the ECM. The ECM should be behind the glove box and you should be able to get to the connector if you remove the glove box liner.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Get a factory service manual ASAP. With my 1991 Brougham, you could use a paper clip and insert it into two of the terminals on the diagnostic port with the engine off and the key on "RUN". Then you counted the number of service engine light flashes to determine the code. The service manual went into great detail about how to do this and a chart to interpret the number of flashes.

The paper clip trick probably wouldn't work. The Cadillacs that have the magical ECC cannot be thrown into diagnostic mode by grounding the ALDL. That function was removed from the computer.

Thx for your replys im gonna take it to a shop tomorrow and see if he can get the codes out of the aldl. And ill pick up a service manual also. Any ideas why my ac/heater blower fan doesnt turn on?

I got the opera lights working.. Turns out all I had to do was replace the bulbs and turn the dial beneath the light dial.. I also got the ac/heater blower fan to run.. I had to connect it to the fuse box.... Still its just air not hot or cold... Im sure the ac needs to be refilledbut I just replaced the heater core im not sure about that..

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

you can try flushing your heater core. there's a good chance it is plugged up.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Easiest way to do that is to disconnect the lines on both ends of the heater core. Run some compressed air through it, got a bunch of brown sludge out of mine when I did it, heat never worked better after that.

Compressed air can punch holes in the heater core and cause a bunch of little leaks. It's a lot better to back flush it with water pressure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.