Low Coolant light on, I look in rez and there is nothing... What to do?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Low Coolant light on, I look in rez and there is nothing... What to do? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Not exactly sure what i should do... cant just top it off cause it has dexcool in it... Anyone have ...
    hadesnuggz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96' FWB

Low Coolant light on, I look in rez and there is nothing... What to do?

Not exactly sure what i should do... cant just top it off cause it has dexcool in it...

Anyone have any ideas>?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Re: Low Coolant light on, I look in rez and there is nothing... What to do?

You have a leak. If the source of the leak is not obvious, first, fill the reservoir back up to the proper fill level with a 50/50 mix of DEX-COOL and distilled water, then start looking for leaks. It's a whole lot easier to find a leak with the system under pressure, you have 2 choices: Run the engine up to normal operating temperature and snoop around for leaks next to a 200 degree engine with spinning pulleys and belts on it, or, rent a cooling system pressure test kit and pressurize the system cold, with the engine off. The latter also makes it possible to find small leaks/drips, that otherwise would evaporate on hot engine compartment components before you would see them.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

With the car cold, feel the bottom of the water pump. I bet that is where your leak is. The seals go, and the coolant drips out of the weep hole. You don't see a puddle because it drips on the serpentine belt and gets scattered when driving. Ever notice your steering is difficult to turn all the way when you first start the car? That is the belt slipping because it is wet from coolant.

hadesnuggz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96' FWB

Thanks guys.. I will try to do that and check for the leak when I get home... Can I find dexcool at autopart stores? And also, if I find the leak, what do I do then?

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by hadesnuggz View Post
    Thanks guys.. I will try to do that and check for the leak when I get home... Can I find dexcool at autopart stores? And also, if I find the leak, what do I do then?
    Yes, you can find it at the auto parts stores. You can get it pre-mixed with water, too.

If you find the leak, plug it up :-p

If it is the water pump, it will need replaced. It's not a terrible job, but you should consider replacing the Optispark cap while you have the pump off. A leak that empties the recovery tank shouldn't be too tough to track down.

However, the pre mixed bottles of coolant, while convenient, are a complete rip off. Buy a bottle of full strength DEX. and a gallon of distilled water. You'll end up with 2 gallons of 50/50 for less than the cost of 1 gallon of the pre mixed.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you are going to do that, make sure you have an extra coolant bottle. The water jug will leak everywhere (and it is technically illegal to put coolant into another bottle unless you put a hazardous materials label on it).
    MoistCabbage and MoistCabbage like this.

Rawben is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS

What happens if I don't see water anywhere? Here's my situation. Last week DIC said coolant low. We added Dexcool and the dash screen cleared the message. Then about a week later - the DIC shows coolant low again and then the message saying A/C off or Idle. Never went into limp mode and the oil life shows 49%. Dh looked today and dosen't see coolant in the upper reserviorr. Removed the hose and no coolant, it's wet, but empty.

Picking up more Dexcool today and will refill and see what happens. We'll check the water pump too! It was replaced back in 07 or 08 by the previous owner. BTW, anyone know where the water pump is on a 99 Seville STS?

Read on another thread about purging due to a blockage - could cause over heating. Do we need to purge when adding more coolant especially with it being so low?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I hate to tell you, but this is the RWD section. We don't know much about FWD Northstars, other than they like to eat head gaskets and drink coolant. Sorry...You need to get your car checked ASAP for bad head gaskets.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Rawben View Post
    What happens if I don't see water anywhere? Here's my situation. Last week DIC said coolant low. We added Dexcool and the dash screen cleared the message. Then about a week later - the DIC shows coolant low again and then the message saying A/C off or Idle. Never went into limp mode and the oil life shows 49%. Dh looked today and dosen't see coolant in the upper reserviorr. Removed the hose and no coolant, it's wet, but empty.

Picking up more Dexcool today and will refill and see what happens. We'll check the water pump too! It was replaced back in 07 or 08 by the previous owner. BTW, anyone know where the water pump is on a 99 Seville STS?

Read on another thread about purging due to a blockage - could cause over heating. Do we need to purge when adding more coolant especially with it being so low?
    You'll have better luck in the FWD forums. The engine in your STS is a completely different animal and unfortunately prone to head gasket failure, which is a common cause of a mysterious loss of coolant. The cost of a head gasket replacement pretty much totals the car for all intents and purposes. One of the reasons I stayed away from the front-wheel-drive Northstar cars this time around. I hope you find it's something simple, though.

Rawben is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS

Thanks! Didn't realize I was in the incorrect forum/thread. That's what I get for doing a "search" on low coolant.

Rawben, come to the dark side (the Eldorado/Seville forums), and start a new thread.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My car used to lose coolant like that (have to fill it up every week). There was never any puddles or physical signs of leakage, so I thought maybe the heads were leaking into the cylinders and the coolant was burning off, or it was dripping onto the exhaust, or possibly the heater core was leaking (into some black hole somewhere).

Never figured out where it was all going, but the problem went away and I haven't had to top off the coolant in over 6 months. Come to think of, I used to have a pretty bad oil leak too...

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I want a magical self fixing head gasket like Sven.
    MoistCabbage and MoistCabbage like this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

yeah the 80's broughams seem to correct most problems themselves. hehe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.