Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Would someone PLEASE help me?

959 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  turbojimmy 
#1 ·
ok so far no one at all has helped me on these forums, and my 79 and I would GREATLY appreciate it if anyone would.
Well today my mom somehow managed to turn my powered trunk into a non-powered one. The motor that used to power the trunk lid now runs constantly and i had to disconnect the battery to prevent the motor from killing its self. Like i said the trunk is no longer powered and functions like a normal trunk. This car has enough problems already someone PLEASE help me out here, if not for me then for the car.

#2 ·
Not sure what you mean about no one helping you. Seems like every post you've made had had a response, and you just haven't gone back to check on thm.

Honestly, for now, just leave the pull down disconnected. What did your mom do to the trunk? Did she slam it? If it's running constantly, maybe one of the wires is broken and it's grounding out somewhere, causing it to trigger itself and run continuously. Trace the wiring back and inspect for breakage. That's where I would start.

#3 ·
So the motor runs but isn't pulling the trunk down? The paddle switch, which usually fails in a manner that does not allow the motor to run, is the switch that decides when the trunk is opened or closed. There's a little switch under the pull-down portion of the latch that tells the motor to stop running once it's pulled shut. If the motor is running but not pulling the trunk down then there's something stripped/broken in the gear housing. You need another one - check salvage yards.

And I posted this for you, not the car, so you feel special :)

EDIT: And respect your mom. She's the only one you get. I have a feeling that without her you wouldn't have a nice car.

#4 ·
So the motor runs but isn't pulling the trunk down? The paddle switch, which usually fails in a manner that does not allow the motor to run, is the switch that decides when the trunk is opened or closed. There's a little switch under the pull-down portion of the latch that tells the motor to stop running once it's pulled shut. If the motor is running but not pulling the trunk down then there's something stripped/broken in the gear housing. You need another one - check salvage yards.

And I posted this for you, not the car, so you feel special :)

EDIT: And respect your mom. She's the only one you get. I have a feeling that without her you wouldn't have a nice car.
True story is true.

Also, meet electrical wizard Jimmy.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, but like i said the trunk functions as if the motor isnt there at all. She didnt slam it, she opened the trunk with the key (which i never did) when the battery was dead. I went and got a new battery today and when i installed it was when i ran into the trunk trouble. Also if it helps the 'trunk open' light remains on even when the trunk is closed.

and yes i do respect and love my mom, stuff happens i know that. I worked my a$$ off and bought the car myself

#8 ·
Yep, sounds like the complete unit is bad. The motor runs but the piece doesn't go down, its all one piece so your gonna ha e to replace it. Word is that a lot of American auto makers used this same pulldown switch throughout the 90s. Take it with you to a junk yard and grab another.

#9 ·
I think Jimmy found a way to disassemble it and fix it....

At least in the 90s, Lincoln/Cadillac used the same switch. Not sure if that's the case as far back as his car.

Then again, you may be able to retrofit a newer switch in anyway.

I defer to the experts here.

#12 ·
I think Jimmy found a way to disassemble it and fix it....
I did, but only when they fail in the usual way: close the trunk and the motor won't run to pull it down. When that happens, it's the paddle switch, which can be disassembled and cleaned in order to function again.

It sounds like the '79 arrangement is different, though.

#11 ·
The '77 - '79 trunk mechanisms used a phenolic bodied housing which could fail at anytime if someone slamed the lid. Perhaps it was already cracked and just gave up at that time after your mom opened it. The lower bearing sets at the base of the body and can get forced through the end of the body.
Unlatch the lid and disconnect the unit from the anchor post. If you find the bottom of the housing sitting on the floor of the trunk, you will have to find a new one or live with what you have.
The newer units aren't interchangeable with these used in this run of trunk pull-downs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.