95 Fleetwood A/C blower
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By EL Alamein
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 95 Fleetwood A/C blower in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My A/C blower sometimes won't blow on high even when you select High fan. Most days it works just fine, ...
    75sled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe DeVille, 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

95 Fleetwood A/C blower

My A/C blower sometimes won't blow on high even when you select High fan. Most days it works just fine, but some days it won't. Is it safe to say the blower moter is going out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: 95 Fleetwood A/C blower

Quote Originally Posted by 75sled View Post
    My A/C blower sometimes won't blow on high even when you select High fan. Most days it works just fine, but some days it won't. Is it safe to say the blower moter is going out?
    I would bet on the blower motor resistor. The motor itself is pretty reliable. The resistor, on the other hand, is prone to failure. I had to replace the one in my '96 and my '94.

Where is that located and how much/hard is it to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by 75sled View Post
    Where is that located and how much/hard is it to replace?
    It's right next to the blower. It's easy to get at. Rock Auto has the best price; like $70 or $80. I just got one, but I don't remember how much it was.

EDIT: The Delco part is $87.79 from Rock Auto.

thefleetwoodguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 triple black fwb

check the two plugs
    and especially the orange wire one for green contact clean the green off
    if you find it
    its located under the dash pass side

how you been Mike?

Been great. I will do that. How have you been? Moved yet?

ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

Be careful if you do replace the blower motor. I have found that ALL normal parts houses are selling a generic blower motor that has the correct mounts and plug but does NOT have the correct squirrel cage on it. It is a different depth which makes it fall about 1-1/4" short of closing with the case. This will of course NOT move enough air through the unit.

I had to resort to a junkyard to get a correct piece. NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, Car Quest, AC Delco, and O'Reilley were all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ssstealth View Post
    Be careful if you do replace the blower motor. I have found that ALL normal parts houses are selling a generic blower motor that has the correct mounts and plug but does NOT have the correct squirrel cage on it. It is a different depth which makes it fall about 1-1/4" short of closing with the case. This will of course NOT move enough air through the unit.

I had to resort to a junkyard to get a correct piece. NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, Car Quest, AC Delco, and O'Reilley were all wrong.
    I just replaced mine with a $30 motor from Autozone. I didn't notice that it was any shorter, and the airflow out of the vents is the same or better (my old one was growling).

Now I'll have to take it out and look at it cuz it will drive me nuts otherwise.

Let me know what you find. My is growling a little.

ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

Here are some pictures that illustrate what I was talking about...

This picture shows the aftermarket motor next to the factory motor.

Here are the measurements for both cages:

And here is what the correct blower motor looks like installed as seen from the cowl air inlet. You can imagine how if a cage did not seat as shown here that it would be hard to draw air in at the maximum rate.

Looks like the aftermarket cage is sitting up higher, making the shortfall about 1/2". The one I got from Autozone was black, but I really didn't compare the 2. I just popped it in. Again, it seems to put out as much or more volume than the stock one but I replaced the blower resistor at the same time. The old blower resistor was failing and the fan wasn't getting to max speed all the time.

Thanks for the tip. Another reason to go for GM/Delco parts if you can find them.

erny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville dhs

I am parting out a 93 fleetwood brougham if anyone needs parts from it. Usually you will have 1 speed if the blower resistor is bad. I have a good resistor, blower motor, and climate control unit. Erny

Quote Originally Posted by erny View Post
    I am parting out a 93 fleetwood brougham if anyone needs parts from it. Usually you will have 1 speed if the blower resistor is bad. I have a good resistor, blower motor, and climate control unit. Erny
    Any good exterior parts on the car?

EL Alamein is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssstealth View Post
    Here are some pictures that illustrate what I was talking about...

This picture shows the aftermarket motor next to the factory motor.

Here are the measurements for both cages:

And here is what the correct blower motor looks like installed as seen from the cowl air inlet. You can imagine how if a cage did not seat as shown here that it would be hard to draw air in at the maximum rate.
    Wow, this explains a lot in my situation. I have had one of those aftermarket squirrel cages for about 7 years and it has never moved enough air to efficiently cool down the cabin in a reasonable amount of time.

Long story short the blower got replaced as part of a series of repairs to the hvac system that were engendered through the debacle of multiple incompetent mechanics. The car (96 FWB) was originally put in to service for a leaky AC hose but through these debacles they wound up replacing the blower as well because they somehow shorted the old one out.

Well when I got the car back and everything was working I swore that the hvac system wasn't moving the same amount of air through the cabin. Everyone I've talked to didn't really think there was a significant issue or at least that's how I interpreted their feedback. My wife thought I was off my rocker. But before this all began the AC seemed to move a lot more air and it seemed to cool the cabin quite quickly. I never could figure out why there was such a difference.

Now the last picture in the above post explains a lot, as well! I've had my cowl apart to install an aftermarket cabin filter and I noticed the gap between the inlet and the squirrel cage and I knew that was wrong. In fact, I turned on the blower while this was all going on and you could feel air coming OUT of the cowl which didn't make sense to me. I thought it was a design flaw and hoped to find a mod one day to fix it. Well, I've ordered an OEM squirrel cage from an old car (early to mid 90's Buick Roadster), I was told that they are the same part and the price was a pittance so I felt comfortable. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks so much to the original poster of the post above. It has saved me a lot of sanity.

Best Regards,
    Chris
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

EL Alamein is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well, finally got my replacement blower. Since the cage looked hard to remove without possible causing some damage I decided to take the advice given here and on the Impalass forum and just install the whole OEM motor and cage assembly. It worked out great!

Wow, the OEM cage really does move more air. I could feel the difference as I rode around today with the AC on max cool and it was like a blizzard.

Also got the Buick climage control unit today and decided to install that as well since I was in the mood to work on the car. For me, the best part of it is the precise control of the fan speed at any setting. Since having the CC at 60 degrees keeps the recirc door engaged at all times I can just adjust the fan speed as desired and it will really help the cooling action.

Thanks again to everyone for posting on this and sharing your information, I really enjoyed this mod.

Best Regards,
    Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.