Finding the right Fleetwood
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Stingroo
  • 2 Post By turbojimmy
  • 2 Post By turbojimmy
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Finding the right Fleetwood in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my quest for a FW I am curious if thee is an opinion as to buy an OBD 1 ...
    Rick James is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 FWB

Finding the right Fleetwood

On my quest for a FW I am curious if thee is an opinion as to buy an OBD 1 or 2 car? Anyone have a comments?

If I wanted a compression check on a FW, is this nearly impossible? Or rather have I read correctly in some posts that changing the spark plugs are very difficult thus a compression check is very difficult?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: Finding the right Fleetwood

Some say OBD 1 is better, because early OBD 2 is buggy. I wouldn't know on that front.

My opinion though, look for 95-96 over '94, because the revised door mirrors are significantly better for visibility.
    Rick James and Rick James like this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I prefer the ODB1 because you can pull codes up through the climate control system. I've heard that with ODBII you can't do this.

I just did my plugs and wires on my 95 and it was not easy but by far the hardest part was the wires, not the plugs. I got every one of the plugs from the top of the engine. It was a little tricky but i did it. Compression check shouldn't be all that hard.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

If you're not going to modify the engine, OBD-I vs. OBD-II doesn't matter much. Here in NJ, OBD-II cars don't go through a sniff test. They just plug into the PCM and check for codes. If you've tuned out certain emissions checks (OBD-II tuners are easy to come by) then you can get a pretty highly modified car through emissions. You can tune an OBD-I PCM, but OBD-I cars are subject to tailpipe emissions testing (in NJ anyway).

I had a '96 and now have a '94. There's no perceptible difference between the two as far as performance goes. The engines are pretty much identical. The '96 has 2 more O2 sensors to satisfy OBD-II downstream emissions reporting requirements as well as 2 knock sensors (vs. the '94-'95 single knock sensor).

You can pull trouble codes from the HVAC system on the '94-95s, but not the '96. OBD-II code scanners are cheap these days, though, and give you a lot more information than the OBD-I codes.

And I didn't find my '96 mirrors to be any better than the '94's. Yeah, they're different, but the huge dash blocks your visibility of the RH mirror on the '96 - it's mounted slightly forward versus the '93-94. Mine's a limo so it would be really nice to have decent side mirrors since I can't see much out the back, but the mirrors sucked on both the '96 and the '94.

The sound system in the '96 is easier to modify, too. The '93-95 have a rear-mounted amplifier that requires extensive wiring changes to replace or to add an aftermarket receiver.

Plugs are not easy to get at on the passenger side. But if you don't have significant crankcase pressure, no blow-by and no significant misfire I'd say a compression check is overkill.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

One thing only counts for '94 is they also come with 3 ways lumbar support , **** we do only 1 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    One thing only counts for '94 is they also come with 3 ways lumbar support , **** we do only 1 lol
    My '94 didn't. But the limos don't have a lot of options. Seems to be a "base" Fleetwood, like my '96. I did notice an air hose sticking out of the floor when I took the front passenger seat out. Would be cool to hook it up.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    My '94 didn't. But the limos don't have a lot of options. Seems to be a "base" Fleetwood, like my '96. I did notice an air hose sticking out of the floor when I took the front passenger seat out. Would be cool to hook it up.
    Yup, that amazes me why I only see base models as limos rather than fully loaded fancy Brougham as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    Yup, that amazes me why I only see base models as limos rather than fully loaded fancy Brougham as well
    That's what fascinates me about the limos. There's such a wide variety of customizations. I've only seen one that started out as a Brougham, which means more exist. It had the nicer front seats and vanity mirrors in the back. Chrome wheels, too. But, for the most part they were "base" cars which means the driver and front passenger get the short end of the stick amenity-wise. The back is all custom anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Some say OBD 1 is better, because early OBD 2 is buggy. I wouldn't know on that front.
    Has anyone heard that OBD II is buggy for the 1996 model year?

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*

^OBD-II was brand new in 1996 and one of the requirements of OBD-II is misfire detection. Many of the cars in '96 were experiencing drivability problems because the misfire parameters in the commuter were too sensitive. The computer would register a misfire if you hit bump in the road that caused the drive shaft to slightly slow down, which caused a hesitation in the crankshaft.

Some of the models that were more problematic were recalled and computer was reprogrammed, but in most cases it wasn't bad enough to warrant a recall. Companies just changed the settings for '97 and the problems got better.

Thanks. Do you know if the 1996 OBD-II take to a custom tune well? I was thinking of having a chip burned to help gain fuel efficiency while towing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick James View Post
    Thanks. Do you know if the 1996 OBD-II take to a custom tune well? I was thinking of having a chip burned to help gain fuel efficiency while towing.
    There's no chip. The PCM is "flashed" with a new tune, usually by mail-order. I had a "power tune" re-flashed PCM in my '96 and it definitely made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    There's no chip. The PCM is "flashed" with a new tune, usually by mail-order. I had a "power tune" re-flashed PCM in my '96 and it definitely made a difference.
    So, did we . The car also sounded better and mpg slightly improved besides power gains

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.