Top under padded top model like the non-padded model? Can this be removed (see pic) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Top under padded top model like the non-padded model? Can this be removed (see pic) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've only seen the top scraped off once. It's definitely a lot more work than it's worth. Especially if you're ...
    Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: Top under padded top model like the non-padded model? Can this be removed (see p

I've only seen the top scraped off once. It's definitely a lot more work than it's worth.

Especially if you're in the North. There's GOING to be rust under it.

Tennesseestorm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Top under padded top model like the non-padded model? Can this be removed (see p

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I read each of them. Funny about it saying I had two billion posts, I didnt even notice that, but its back showing I have only posted once now, which is strange, because I should have more than that. lol. Anyway, yeah, this is a car that I found on Craigslist (I wasnt sure of the year, he had it listed as a 1993 - the only way I can tell the difference is the steering wheel and engine is different on the 93, but other than that I am clueless in the year changes), but its not all that local, but at the time more in the price range I was looking for, but due to it maybe having those holes in the top, I will pass on it. I know that the Lincoln Town Cars of this era that had the padded tops also had the holes. I found one that I was going to buy last year and it was aweful, so I ended up buying a non-padded top '95 Town Car, which I still have. I love it, but I have "the fever" for a 93-96 Fleetwood now. I actually prefer a metal top model, but they are a little harder to come across... in fact, these cars are hard to come across here in northeast Tennessee in any fashion. I know of about 4 here in town (or 55,000 people), but never see one for sale. I found a nice fairly local '94 model for $3600, but until my dads "retirement" comes in I didnt want to go that much for one right now. He said he would buy me a new truck and one of these Cadillacs when he got his money, but I kinda wanted to get the Fleetwood on my own. I have a nice 1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature that I have been trying to trade in on a nice 93-96 Fleetwood and have even offered to throw in up to $1000 in cash if someone could kinda meet me here local, but its been a flop. One guy in DC almost made the deal and now trying to work a deal on a non-vinyl top black 94 out of Roanoke, but it has about 35K more miles than my car, and his has dash cracks, etc and I am even offering in $1000 in cash, but not thinking he wants to make the 2 hour drive to swap. We will see. I am taking a new job which will be 60 miles on the interstate (round trip) and I need a good highway car. If not traded soon, I am going to fix up this Town Car a little and just keep it. Its a nice car, but the steering has a worn bushing (steering is a little quirky) and my CEL is on, but thats a minor issue that dont effect the running, but I want the steering fixed since I will be running 70-75 mph on the freeway. I am currently using one of my moms cars as a work car, but here in town. Its a S-Class Mercedes, but it has the 6-cylinder and these are really not geared for the highway and use more gas on the highway than in town. My Town Car gets about 28 on the highway, so it or a big Caddy would be a good choice.

If ANYONE knows of someone with a 93-96 Fleetwood or Fleetwood Brougham thats in good running shape that may have a desire for a nice and 100% rust free 1995 Town Car PLUS $1000. cash, let me or them know, especially if here in the southeast (southern Appalachain) region. I dont care what it looks like or the mileage (but not wanting anything rusty). I cant travel too far, have special needs child and ill grandparents, hard to get away for long distances. I just love old big cars like this - I have a 1972 Caprice wagon I am trying to restore and I have my grandmothers old 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville... still runs fine, but needing some restoration. My first car when I was 16 (in 1992) was a darl blue 1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille... most kids my age wanted Mustangs or Celicas back then, but what did I want.... ? A 70s Cadillac. I did go through that stage where I wanted a Camaro when I was around 21 and I got one, a 1991 model, then went back to smaller imports/trucks in the late 90s, then I was right back to big American cars by the early 2000s, but had an import in there every so often, but love the big American cars and have always wanted a 93-96 Fleetwood. I know that the 94s had the better higher HP engine, but I would even love a 93. Anyone got one out there priced super reasonable or wanting to trade for my Lincoln and some cash, let me know! Thanks again for all of the replies and information on that top!

Quote Originally Posted by thefleetwoodguy View Post
    if thats the car in your picture
    its a 95 or 96, not a 93
    that roof is a fiberglass shell
    Thanks... he had it listed as a 93... dont know why. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Yeah, that's a 95/6 because of door mirrors.

Honestly, it looks like it needs paint too. I would pass....
    Thanks... yeah, gonna pass.

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    did anyone else notice tenesseestorm has 2 billion posts?
    LOL, I missed that. Its showing only one now. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    I didn't notice that either. Busy guy.
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    LOL, I like your sense of humor guys
    Anyway, back to the topic I believe they're also called Vogue tops but not my cup of tea at all
    Not mine either... I hate these tops on these, but thats my opinion. Sorry if someone out there likes them, but I am like you, not my cup of tea. I hate the carriage tops on the Town Cars too.

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    I just took off one of these tops off my 94... They are awful under it... There are maybe a dozen holes drilled in the top, holes drilled in all the doors and the trunk lid... Mine was sure a mess...And blobs of glue here and there... Tough to get off...
    Sounds like a mess! Thanks!

I've only seen the top scraped off once. It's definitely a lot more work than it's worth.

Especially if you're in the North. There's GOING to be rust under it.
    I think this car is in east Virginia, so it should be rust free if it was not right on the coast. Hoping to find one local, I live in NE Tennessee and rust is not an issue thank goodness... especially on these. I have never seen rust on a Fleetwood.... at least not around here.

Thanks again!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

I think that is the longest single post I've ever read. Fleetwoods, Town Cars, and '70's Cadillacs.....you have good taste in land yachts. I approve!

Whatever you do, buy the nicest one you can afford. It's a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER to maintain a car that is in good condition, than it is to repair one that was abused.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

You're going to want to be looking for a '94-96 Fleetwood if you can. Nothing against the '93's TBI 350, but the '94-96 TPI LT1 is a really nice running engine that they put in lots of vehicles up through '97.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

best of luck on your quest for a semi nice fwb.

grand ville FTW, btw.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The rear windows are of a different design. On a non-vinyl roof car, the rear window itself is actually LARGER.
    Has anyone ever pulled the vinyl roof off before to actually see that? Usually the vinyl roof is just made to fit over the original window and the rest of the parts are identical.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    Has anyone ever pulled the vinyl roof off before to actually see that? Usually the vinyl roof is just made to fit over the original window and the rest of the parts are identical.
    Im almost certain that on older (pre '85) Devilles, the windows were the same. The differences being the windows on vinyl top cars had a blacked out perimeter, and the rear defroster "grid" was resized for the opening in the vinyl top. I've never seen a 92-96 Fleetwood with the top removed.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

93-96.

I haven't done it, but I've seen photos.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

There are a few photos on the forum. Glass looks the same but vinyl roof cars don't have the rubber molding around it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.