3800 series II or III swap into 79 deville? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 3800 series II or III swap into 79 deville? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That's partially correct. You can use an engine from any car of the same year or newer, so long as ...
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

Re: 3800 series II or III swap into 79 deville?

That's partially correct. You can use an engine from any car of the same year or newer, so long as you also swap all the emissions equipment and anything else that is related to that. I don't think it's that silly. It kind of is, but I'm somewhat liberal in that I like clean air and I'm not ashamed to admit that I may have been brainwashed into thinking that cars contribute to poor air quality. That's another reason for maybe wanting to do the 3800 since I think the series III qualifies as a SULEV. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I could be wrong, but having to swap over all the emissions/electrical equipment will make your swap significantly more difficult, I would imagine.

Good luck to you.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I've only seen the 3800's on FWD cars...It would be pretty cool to see one swapped into a caddy

albymangled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 calais coupe

It might be possible but why bother?

If it's economy you're looking for there are other brands perhaps more suitable.

One of the things that has always attracted me to Caddy is the big V8 engines...

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Are you gonna build the motor or just swap one in? With the right cam, overdrive and rear gears, you could do good. I've always wanted to see a 3800 in a caddy. Plus you'd get a million miles on the motor.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Losing over 700 pounds will be a serious challenge. It won't be a Cadillac anymore...

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I'm sure you could find spots to save weight- cut unnecessary metal out of interior metal part of doors, lose some of the other structural bracing thats not that necessary (like what's done in drag cars) but when you're done it will not feel like a cadillac.
    anyone know if series III 3800 parts will bolt onto the series II?
    to attempt this, you'd need a series II block from a camaro or firebird and the heads, intake, etc. off a series III (with forced induction to make decent power)
    and even then you'd be looking at a 260 hp/ 280 ft/lbs motor pushing a 5000 lbs car.
    its totally possible to put a 3800 in the car, but it won't be cheap or a direct bolt in by any means.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld View Post
    ...I'm somewhat liberal in that I like clean air and I'm not ashamed to admit that I may have been brainwashed into thinking that cars contribute to poor air quality.
    I propose liberals only be allowed to walk or ride bikes for their transportation - that's the only solution to solve the clean air fantasy since if you buy into the mantra then you should be the one paying for it and setting the example. Imagine how clear and uncongested the roads would be without libs in cars - leaving more room on the road and resources for those of us who are producers to do our business swiftly and efficiently in our very large and comfortable vehicles.

As for the idea of putting a 3800 V6 in a 79 Cad, it seems to me that for any nominal increase in fuel economy or lower emissions you will pay the price of your valuable time and hard earned money in attempting to make it happen. Unless there is some special provision in the government stimulus program that will pay you to do this swap, which wouldn't surprise me, and if that is the case I will be requesting a full refund from you once obama is rebuked in the next election.

outsider and outsider like this.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    I propose liberals only be allowed to walk or ride bikes for their transportation - that's the only solution to solve the clean air fantasy since if you buy into the mantra then you should be the one paying for it and setting the example. Imagine how clear and uncongested the roads would be without libs in cars - leaving more room on the road and resources for those of us who are producers to do our business swiftly and efficiently in our very large and comfortable vehicles.

As for the idea of putting a 3800 V6 in a 79 Cad, it seems to me that for any nominal increase in fuel economy or lower emissions you will pay the price of your valuable time and hard earned money in attempting to make it happen. Unless there is some special provision in the government stimulus program that will pay you to do this swap, which wouldn't surprise me, and if that is the case I will be requesting a full refund from you once obama is rebuked in the next election.

lame political rants are lame.

So I take it that the engine mounts from the 80s era 3.8 won't work with the series II from a camaro/firebird? From what I've seen people have swapped the FWD versions into the f-bodies without too much trouble aside from the throttle bodies being in the back etc. Series 3 has drive by wire and stuff it looks like, so a bit more work, but I like computers and electronics, so I might enjoy hooking that stuff up. From what I've read, I would save 200 lbs on the engine swap alone - 392 lbs for the 3800, about 600 for the 425.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
    LT1s are a dime a dozen these days and will probably get as good fuel economy as overloading a 3.8.

Or, you can find a turbo 3.8 from '86-'87. It will tolerate 30 psi from the turbo (500 HP or so) without major machine work. Not emissions legal by a long shot. But would be a ton o fun.

Most people with the LT-1 in a Caprice or Fleetwood, at least from what I've seen manage maybe 24 on the highway.

On another note, I've never weighed my car myself. The shipping weight for the Sedan Deville in 79 in 4212 lbs, and on one of my smog certificates the shop listed it at 4750. That doesn't seem right to me. I know the curb weight should be more, but I wouldn't think that much more.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

yeah 24 is about what the LT1 does in the fleetwood...and that's on a good day.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Either way you look at it, a RWD caddy that gets 30mph is something I'd be interested in. You should do a 3.8 so we can see how many miles you can squeeze out of it.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    lame political rants are lame.
    It's a shame to be humorless, most liberals are by the way.

This idea of a 3800 in a big old Cad seems like pie in the sky. I have a 91 Olds 98 Regency Elite with the 3.8 and it's a decent engine for the car although no ball of fire. Plus, driving at highway speeds it delivers fuel economy on average of 27 mpg at 75 mph. This makes me doubt the premise of this idea of installing the same engine in a significantly heavier car and expecting high gas mileage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.