1996 FWB - Check engine light on - Scanner turns off upon start up - HELP
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1996 FWB - Check engine light on - Scanner turns off upon start up - HELP in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, Could use some help here - my 1996 FWB check engine light comes on and goes off every once ...
    6.0 Litre is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

1996 FWB - Check engine light on - Scanner turns off upon start up - HELP

Hello,

Could use some help here - my 1996 FWB check engine light comes on and goes off every once an while - but it is mostly on though for the past year.

Here is the issue upon plug in of the scanner to read the codes, the scanner shuts off once the start button is hit. I took it to two different shops and the scanner always shuts down and cannot read the codes to see what the issue is.

Anyone else have this problem or know what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 1996 FWB - Check engine light on - Scanner turns off upon start up - HELP

The good news is that you don't need a scanner to retrieve your codes. See the FAQs for how to get the codes from the HVAC display.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    The good news is that you don't need a scanner to retrieve your codes. See the FAQs for how to get the codes from the HVAC display.
    You can't get the PCM codes through the HVAC on a '96. The OBD-II codes will only come through the scanner.

I don't know what would cause the scanner to quit working. If you're lucky, it could be a blown fuse. Does your cigarette lighter work? The scan tools get power from the Data Link Connector (DLC) under the dash. Looking at the face of the connector, the pins are numbered 1-16 from left to right. The top row is 1-8, the bottom row is 9-16. Positions 4 and 5 go to ground, position 16 is 12V+ from the cigarette lighter. You should be able to put a test light or multimeter between positions 4 or 5 and 16 and get 12V. If you don't, that's why a scan tool won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    You can't get the PCM codes through the HVAC on a '96. The OBD-II codes will only come through the scanner.

I don't know what would cause the scanner to quit working. If you're lucky, it could be a blown fuse. Does your cigarette lighter work? The scan tools get power from the Data Link Connector (DLC) under the dash. Looking at the face of the connector, the pins are numbered 1-16 from left to right. The top row is 1-8, the bottom row is 9-16. Positions 4 and 5 go to ground, position 16 is 12V+ from the cigarette lighter. You should be able to put a test light or multimeter between positions 4 or 5 and 16 and get 12V. If you don't, that's why a scan tool won't work.
    Thanks, yes checked all the fuses - no issues there, yes cig lighter works, the weird thing is the scanner comes on when you plug it in - it turns off when you start the scan. I'll check out the pins and see if I get 12V thanks again!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

As jayoldschool said, you can check for codes without a scanner. Just follow the instructions here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    As jayoldschool said, you can check for codes without a scanner. Just follow the instructions here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html
    You can't get OBD-II PCM codes through the HVAC. If the SES light is on, you need a scanner to pull the codes on a '96. On the 2000+ Northstar cars you could get OBD-II codes through the Driver Information Center, which was a really cool feature in those cars. But unfortunately, on a '96 Fleetwood you need a scan tool.

It is odd that the scan tool comes on and then shuts off. I assume from your description that you've tried multiple brands of scan tools. Other than pins 4, 5 and 16, the rest are serial data from the PCM, radio and other places. On the '96, the only information a scan tool will detect is the PCM codes (newer cars will report body codes, SIR codes, etc. and so on). You could try resetting the connector at the PCM. It's under the air box at the left front of the car. It's not too hard to get at. Unplug it and inspect the pins for damage or corrosion. This will obviously cut power to it, but I'm 99% sure that on the OBD-II cars the codes remain until they are cleared with a scan tool even after a power loss.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I echo on turbojimmy's reply . I could not manage to get the codes cleared thru HVAC but OBD II reader . I do use Dectron 9135 model if you're interested to know

This link: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cadidiag.html#95fltwd has specific instructions for '93-'96 Fleetwoods. it is also covered here: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb-tech.html

Are you sure it's not possible?

This link: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cadidiag.html#95fltwd has specific instructions for '93-'96 Fleetwoods. it is also covered here: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb-tech.html

Are you sure it's not possible?
    Yes, I'm sure. The '96 is a unique version of these cars. I kind of wish I had kept mine.

If you click through that link, you'll see that on the '96 you need a scanner to pull the codes.

EDIT: Oops - that's a different link than you provided than before. The Fleetwood might be unique, but they don't have the instrument panel that's described on that page. The Devilles had a "Driver Informaton Center" (DIC) that was below the speedo. It had the PRNDL display but also would show various trouble messages like "LOW TRACTION", "LOW FUEL" and "GET OUT YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE". Okay, I made the last one up, but it was in that area that the OBD-II codes are displayed. The description on that page is consistent with how my '01 Deville worked. Not so on the Fleetwood.

On the 2000+ Northstar cars you could get OBD-II codes through the Driver Information Center, which was a really cool feature in those cars.
    Pulling codes through in car displays was possible well before 2000. It was possible since at least 1986 in the Seville/Eldorado. The '05 Deville was the last car that was able to display codes without a scanner, if I recall correctly.

Pulling codes through in car displays was possible well before 2000. It was possible since at least 1986 in the Seville/Eldorado. The '05 Deville was the last car that was able to display codes without a scanner, if I recall correctly.
    I'm talking about OBD-II codes. Codes that start with a prefix (P, B, S, etc. for Powertrain, Body, SIR) and a 4-digit code thereafter.

I'm talking about OBD-II codes. Codes that start with a prefix (P, B, S, etc. for Powertrain, Body, SIR) and a 4-digit code thereafter.
    OBD II codes were retrieveable in-car, since '96. Apparently not in the Fleetwood though. The Catera also lacked this feature.

So am I to understand that it IS possible to pull codes in-car on OBD I Fleetwoods?

OBD II codes were retrieveable in-car, since '96. Apparently not in the Fleetwood though. The Catera also lacked this feature.

So am I to understand that it IS possible to pull codes in-car on OBD I Fleetwoods?
    Yes - OBD-I codes can be retrieved on the pre-'96 cars. And, to make things more confusing, you can retrieve everything EXCEPT PCM codes from the HVAC on a '96.

'96 was the first year for all OBD-II vehicles. Anything before that was OBD-I.

EDIT: and the second link for the AWH website contains bad information. It lumps the '96 into model years to which the OBD-I codes apply. As I said, the '96 uses the numeric 4-digit OBD-II codes with a "P" prefix for the PCM codes.

It took me forever to dispel the myth that the '96 had a rear-mounted, external amp too.

I don't claim to know everything, but when I see it with my own eyes....

'96 was the first year for all OBD-II vehicles. Anything before that was OBD-I.
    Yes, I know.

Yes - OBD-I codes can be retrieved on the pre-'96 cars. And, to make things more confusing, you can retrieve everything EXCEPT PCM codes from the HVAC on a '96.

Ok, good to know.

Thank you all so much for the help and info. Well long story short..I took the car to a 3rd shop and I'm not sure how the the mechanic was able to read the codes, but a different shop worker told me that the o2 sensors are going bad from what the mechanic who fixed it told him. I asked how was he able to read the codes - he does not know as the mechanic who fixed it was at lunch and is now on vacation (did not even have a chance to catch him - I'll try in a couple weeks when he comes back). He also told me that there was a tear in the hose of the PCV line - how he even saw that is beyond me.

Anyways I'm happy now - but what sucks is that I'm always waiting for the check engine light to come back ON *just a year long habit of looking at it always wishing it would turn off* Well it's been 80 miles already No check engine light and I swear I've look at the location of the check engine light for the past 75 miles waiting for it to come back on...LOL

Thanks again you guys!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.