hood ornament and factory alarm system?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, hood ornament and factory alarm system? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hi guys in our city in europe they always steal my hood and trunk emblem on my 81 cadillac. now ...
    Adrian12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

hood ornament and factory alarm system?

hi guys

in our city in europe they always steal my hood and trunk emblem on my 81 cadillac.

now i thaught about to put a switch to the hood emblem (on the bottom to the spring of the ornament) to the horns, but this will be a too short sound if someone comes with a tool for cutting the steel wire of the emblem.

i thaught about to put the switch to the factory alarm system. if somebody tries to open one door horn sounds and lights are blinking.

what wire or where could i put the switch onto? i don't know exactly how the system works on the door for example. what kind of voltage or what must be on the wire?

thanks for all your help

its annoying and expensive always put new ornaments on the car...

ths

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: hood ornament and factory alarm system?

Now there's a clever idea. Not sure what wire you'd tap into, but someone here is bound to know.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

On the Theft Deterrent Controller (mounted to the brake pedal), there should be a light blue wire coming out of one of the connectors. That wire goes to all of the door jamb and door lock tamper switches. You can tap into that wire and bring a lead to the front of the car. Put a pressure switch under the hood ornament and connect it to the lead. When the hood ornament is moved off the base, the Theft Deterrent system will register it as an open door.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

There is a video at youtube.com that shows exactly what you need.It shows a Cadillac that has the hood ornament hooked up to horns and everytime someone trys to mess with it the horns blare loud.
    If i can find the link again,i`ll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    On the Theft Deterrent Controller (mounted to the brake pedal), there should be a light blue wire coming out of one of the connectors. That wire goes to all of the door jamb and door lock tamper switches. You can tap into that wire and bring a lead to the front of the car. Put a pressure switch under the hood ornament and connect it to the lead. When the hood ornament is moved off the base, the Theft Deterrent system will register it as an open door.
    this is the perfect answer.

i've already a wire from hood ornament to underdash driver side (i had the horn with a switch), but didn't know what wire at the deterrent box...

two questions:
    what must the switch be or what position must it have with emblem in normal position (i think opend) on pulling the emblem it closes contact!?
    the switch, so the light blue wire must be grounded???

thanks a lot for your help

Right the switch needs to be usually open, and then ground when weight is taken off (that's how the door jamb switches work). So the blue wire is just looking for a ground connection and you don't need to worry about running voltage anywhere.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Just electrify the ornament. Someone tries to steal it...FRY EM!!!!!!!

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Just electrify the ornament. Someone tries to steal it...FRY EM!!!!!!!
    I support this proposal. Itīs a didactic way to inculcate the importance of private property.
    MoistCabbage and MoistCabbage like this.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    I support this proposal. Itīs a didactic way to inculcate the importance of private property.
    Didactic and inculcate-----interesting! Now i have to google those words since i don`t have a clue what they mean--ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    Didactic and inculcate-----interesting! Now i have to google those words since i don`t have a clue what they mean--ha ha!
    I just tried to say in a cultivate way: Yeah! Sent to hospital those fu**ing thieves!

hi thanks a lot again i'll work this out next weekend...

i had the idea to put whol car under voltage, only when alarm is turning on :P a normal car ignition coil should be enough voltage

then i'd like to put a kind of mobile phone in the car, so when alarm is coming on my mobile phone rings :P

but this is all just an idea for now..

adrian

I vote for ignition coil connected to body... Though maybe your battery would suffer the consequences too.

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    I vote for ignition coil connected to body... Though maybe your battery would suffer the consequences too.

battery? why?

electrical components go from battery +12v to battery (chassis) ground.

ignition coil + voltage on the chassis goes nowhere until somebody touches. so if someone touches the car while alarm is running (and so ignition coil is working) voltage goes to the earth through humans body (this high voltage doesn't go through electrical components)

should be right!?

adrian

Iīm not an expert in electricity. Just thinking many electric shots could discharge battery but I think it would happen in isolated cases and just for some seconds... But -on the other hand- maybe someone would report you for such an extreme car protection system... And where I live, you would be condemned (No sense of private property protection here )

You could get a precharged, high voltage capacitor and wire it into the alarm system. I don't know if you want to charge the entire car though; if you send power through the chassis grounds, you could fry all of the electronics, especially the horns, lights, and theft deterrent module.

You could, however, put the capacitor under the hood ornament and when someone moved it off the base, it would be like getting hit with a stun gun.

To get the car to call you when the alarm is going off, you would need to get an auto dialer and find someway of getting it run on battery voltage and receive a signal from the theft deterrent. Most of the auto dialers I've seen need to be connected to a hardline, but I'm sure you could get a cellar one.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.