hood ornament and factory alarm system? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, hood ornament and factory alarm system? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by sven914 You could get a precharged, high voltage capacitor and wire it into the alarm system. I ...
    Adrian12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: hood ornament and factory alarm system?

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    You could get a precharged, high voltage capacitor and wire it into the alarm system. I don't know if you want to charge the entire car though; if you send power through the chassis grounds, you could fry all of the electronics, especially the horns, lights, and theft deterrent module.

You could, however, put the capacitor under the hood ornament and when someone moved it off the base, it would be like getting hit with a stun gun.

To get the car to call you when the alarm is going off, you would need to get an auto dialer and find someway of getting it run on battery voltage and receive a signal from the theft deterrent. Most of the auto dialers I've seen need to be connected to a hardline, but I'm sure you could get a cellar one.
    hi sven

i don't understand how i should damage electronics.

it's a second system, from chassis to earth (floor where people stay)
    the other system is the car system from battery + to battery -

the next question is, how strong is a car ignition coil for an electrical shock? too hard?
    and how could this be wired to the chassis? started with a relais coming from theft deterrent module (thats not the problem to activate the coil)
    but where should the wires of the ignition coil go???

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Everything in the car is grounded to the chassis. The battery is also grounded to the chassis, which completes the circuit and allows the flow of elections from battery positive back to the negative side. There are no wires that physically connect the ground side of the electronics to the the negative terminal.

If you charged the chassis, that voltage would back feed into everything connected to the chassis. Electronics do not like being powered though the ground side, and it can cause a lot of internal damage.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian12 View Post
    how strong is a car ignition coil for an electrical shock? too hard?
    and how could this be wired to the chassis? started with a relais coming from theft deterrent module
    Adrian, I do hope you're not actually considering electrifying the car as a theft deterrent.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

^its illegal (or at the least not advisable) to electrify your car because if someone gets hurt, you're liable for their injuries. its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Right. If your going to go to that extreme, you might as well park you car in a puddle of water and run a broken extension cord out to it. This way nobody come near your car until you cut the power.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

May be you could write off a warning about your installation to disclaim yourself from a lawsuit against you if anyone gets hurt from touching your emblem but dunno for sure if still it works for you . Well, I believe a retracting hood emblem would be more than great

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I Florida, you can electrify your something, so long as you have a proper Government warning on it. It's the same as wet floor signs. If you put down a wet floor and fifteen people proceed to break their necks in the puddle you were warning them about, you or your business is not liable.

As for installing an alarm, take two washers with inner grommets, put them onto the base spring on the ornament in affixed position so they encircle it entirely, only a fraction of an inch apart. This will give a full 360 degree radius around the spring. Now, make it a circuit by adding a wire to each washer, thereby meaning that if your ornament is jarred in any direction, the circuit is complete as the washers make contact and the current is bridged to the alarm. The entire setup is basically universal and incredibly simple. Personally, my ornament is connected to the steel of my car by a series of bolts, so I have no use for something like that, but I imagine that if I DID have a spring base ornament, that is what it would have.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    Right. If your going to go to that extreme, you might as well park you car in a puddle of water and run a broken extension cord out to it. This way nobody come near your car until you cut the power.
    Hmmmmm, electrified moat theft deterrent system. Have to give that one a try.

In all seriousness though Adrian, electrifying any part of the car is out of the question, legal or not. Even if you were to post warnings all over the car, what if a child or animal were to come in contact with it, or someone brushed by it accidentally. You were referring to connecting to the ignition coil, that would actually be lethal! Maybe you could hook the ornament up to one of those joke store gag items that just give you a little jolt, but I think your original idea of having the alarm trigger if someone tampers with it is the way to go.

And if you think about, anything that isn't strong enough TKO someone, is just going to piss them off, and you're going to get a crowbar through your windshield.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

The best defense is a good offense. Tie a large, menacing dog to your bumper. Worked for my Adoptive Mum back in the Homeland.

In all seriousness, Hearses incur constant vandalism, it is in their nature (Court on Tuesday to schedule a now Felon's restitution payment of several thousand he owes me for that exact reason), but I think they make up for it by the fact that if anyone ever tried stealing them, the authorities would be all over them within a minute or two, because they kind of stand out. This is largely true with any older car as well, because they are not always easy to hide and do not blend in.

I think running it to the alarm rather than electrifying it, is definitely the way to go. If not, you could always retrofit the whole thing so it is stuck in place and unable to bend or twist or move at all where the spring base is, at which point they cannot take it without cutting it, meaning they do not want a whole one AND they will need to make sure they bring tools.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.