Found my HVAC air flow problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Found my HVAC air flow problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Like I thought....critters It was plugged solid with crap that rodents dragged in. This also explains the "earthy" smell from ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Found my HVAC air flow problem

Like I thought....critters

It was plugged solid with crap that rodents dragged in. This also explains the "earthy" smell from the HVAC system.

I used a shop vac to get most of it out, and picked the rest of it out with a grabber tool I had (one of those things that has a retractable claw for grabbing stuff you can't reach).

Air flow is what I think it should be now. And it smells better.

When I pulled the blower control module out, it looked like this. I knew I had some work to do.

I bet there's lots more in there, but I got enough out to get the air flow moving again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Wow, at least it was a repair that didn't cost anything.

Re: Found my HVAC air flow problem

That's the bright side - didn't cost anything.

The middle picture is AFTER I shop vac'd it. That's a mass of junk stuck to the evaporator core that I had to pick out. Once I was done, you could see the core again. There's still stuff stuck in the corners, but now air moves through there like it should.

I'd like to drop the cover for the heater core, too, which will expose pretty much the whole bottom of the air box. There's got to be a lot more in there.

I'm glad I got to the bottom of that. I knew there had to be some sort of blockage. The sound of the fan running didn't match up with the little bit of air that was coming out. Should've done the same thing to my '96. It had the same problem.

Rick James is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 FWB

Man TJ...how does that much crap fit in the AC system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick James View Post
    Man TJ...how does that much crap fit in the AC system.
    That's not even half of it. That's just the stuff I scraped off of the evaporator core. It was plugged solid. When I replaced the blower resistor last week, even more came out which is good because it's finally breaking up and falling down. The dank, wet-grass smell is finally starting to clear up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.