fuel injected 350 into 85 coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, fuel injected 350 into 85 coupe in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Alright so im new to the v8 world i've worked on engines before but only inline 4 and 6 cylinder ...
    jak89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 cadillac fleetwood coupe

fuel injected 350 into 85 coupe

Alright so im new to the v8 world i've worked on engines before but only inline 4 and 6 cylinder nissan engines. I no longer have any of those types of cars I've moved on to the v8s

With that said I know nothing but the very basics about v8's and cadillacs,I want to put a injected 350 in my coupe to replace the 4100

So my main questions are will a injected 350 bolt up to the 4100 tranny, and yes I do know about the power limits of the stock drivetrain on this car but thats further down the road

also I need some info on hooking up the little things like fuel lines,if the fuel pump needs to be bigger,what I would have to do to hook up the alternator,and things like that

I was also wondering if the wiring harness for the motor just hooks up to one ecu so that I can just put the new harness and ECU in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Re: fuel injected 350 into 85 coupe

I'm not sure whether you mean a tbi 350 or a vortec 350, but either will bolt in (given you get a set of chevy motor mounts for the 90-96 fwb. the 4100's ecm will not work with the 350, or any other motor. I would advise changing your transmission when you change the engine. the 200r4s arent known for handling alot of power in stock form (even a mild 350 chevy's torque will eat it up in time). a 700r4 or a turbo 350 or turbo 400 trans wil handle the power alot better.
    it is cheaper in the long run (and not much more in the short run). to change the transmission when you change the motor (not including cost of transmission) you're looking at a couple hundred more, as opposed to at least $1500 more a while down the road when your current trans bites the dust.
    personally if you're looking for an easier installation, I'd go carb'ed on the 350 and put a turbo 350 or 700r4 behind it.

I dont remember if the 350s had the fuel pump in the tank or on the motor.
    as for the alternator, it might swap across (depends on how the mounts are cast into it.) not all GM alternators from that time period had the same mounts. although if you buy a complete motor (long block) it might come with an alternator in which case you would not have to worry about how to bolt it up.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

A Chevrolet 350 will swap in, but you should get (or at least have access to) a '90-92 Brougham with the 350. The '90 Brougham has the same chassis as your coupe and the engine mounts in the same place. To do the swap you need the Chevy engine mounts and if you want to make it fuel injected, you will need the computer.

The Chevrolet motor will not bolt to your transmission unless you get a BOP to Chevy bell housing adapter. If you get a '90's part's car, you can take the transmission and drive shaft to swap into your coupe. The TH 700 that comes with the Chevrolet will be stronger than the stock THM 200 bolted to the 4100.

If you want a cheaper and easier solution, you should look into getting an Oldsmobile 307 or 350. Both will bolt directly to your chassis and to your transmission. The 307 is carburetted, so you wouldn't have to deal a computer or electronics. The 350 can easily be converted to run with a carburettor.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The 200-4R will bolt up to the Chevy. It has a dual bolt pattern.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Hey Jay... I was waiting to hear that.. almost all of the 200 4r's have the dual bolt pattern... If it was me I would get a 90-92 parts car and I would have everything to do the swap...

So from what I've read so far if I get a 90's model chevy 350 either type of injection it will bolt up to my tranny, I will need the wiring harness and comp for that motor, chevy style mounts, and it should be a fairly easy swap?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

correct. a 90-92 caddy brougham would be ideal if you can get one for about 800- 1000. it will have the engine , transmission, and all the random stuff you will need to hook it up (plus you get alot of usable non drivetrain parts for your car).

that would be ideal but I dont know if I could find one of those with a good motor and tranny for the right price. I just went to all the junk yards in my area today and I only found one caddy that was a rwd with anything I could use and the engine was no good. been searchin classifieds and all I can find for a reasonable price is motors with all acc., harness, and comp seems like my best bet atm. I just wanna know if it will work without going to extreme lenghs.

The only thing im not so sure about now is hooking up all the warning lights and ignition,I dont want one of those button start things. If I get the harness and ecu I should be able to put it in and make it run no prob. I dont have any experience in hooking up sensors or making my ignition switch work with a different motor,tranny,harness,and ecu. I just need to figure that out.

Would the plug from the ignition,and warning lights plug into a chevy ecu?

It would prolly help if I knew where the ecu is in this car so I can look at it.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You are going to need to be good at wiring. Don't even consider this swap if you can't sort through a harness. You will need the FSM for the donor car, and your car.

What kind of electrical work would be needed to put a carbed 350 in? I've been thinkin about it and I think I would rather have a carbed motor instead.

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

depends if you want to do a computer controlled carb (like the ones on the later 87's 307's) or just a regular old manual carb i guess

Is a comp controlled carb better than a manual one? either way if I went carbed wouldent I need to get the o2 sensor,ignition,temp,oil press,alt,starter hooked up?

There insnt anyone who manufactures harnesses for these swaps?

Also I read somewhere that all 90's and later rwd caddys have the chevy drivetrain and will swap into my 85 coupe,meaning motor,tranny,and shaft. Wouldent a 4 door shaft be longer?

Man I feel so lost right now but Im gonna get all this figured out I have another newb question, Can u put a carb on any older 350?

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I think you can...just need to change the intake manifold. I could be wrong, though.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Putting a carb on is easy, just run power to the dizzy and wire up the alternator. It would be neat to see a TPI 350 in an 85 though.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The Oldsmobile 307 usually has an electronic carburettor, but you can get a manual one for them. The Olds 350 can run with the 307 e-carb, but it will be heavily under powered.

A manual carburettor is just as reliable and fuel efficient as the electronic variety. The electronic ones were used because of the fuel metering requirements of OBD-1; the computer needed to have someway of adjusting the fuel flow. Your car no longer not needs to meet OBD-1 requirements, so the engine electronics and computer are disposable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.