fuel injected 350 into 85 coupe - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, fuel injected 350 into 85 coupe in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was planning on using the stock fuel pump if its big enough? I am going to use a electric ...
    jak89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 cadillac fleetwood coupe

Re: fuel injected 350 into 85 coupe

I was planning on using the stock fuel pump if its big enough? I am going to use a electric pump and a fpr.

I read somewhere a carb only needs around 9psi to work right is that true?

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You're right about what you need for wiring. All you'd need to do is hook up the temperature and oil pressure sensors to the new engine and the alternator. For the distributor just use a stock vacuum one or common aftermarket one and follow the wiring diagram for it. It'll come down to 1 or 2 wires you'd have to tap into for it.
    There have been a few people in the past who had carbed 305s and 350s on here. See if one of their old posts said what they did for the fuel pump. If a mechanical one won't work you can always use an electric one with a regulator. Still far easier to deal with that then get a fuel injected engine running in there.

I've found out that U have to get a aftermarket fuel pump to go from high psi injection to low psi carbeuration, There is no regulator that can make that much of a difference.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I just used a regulator to get mine from 12 to 5 psi.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I've found out that U have to get a aftermarket fuel pump to go from high psi injection to low psi carbeuration, There is no regulator that can make that much of a difference.
    That's for MPFI running at 60psi. Not TBI at 12psi.

I dont know but I found this info on putting a carbed 350 into a caddy but any clarifacation makes it that much better.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/22-ma...ac+engine+swap

CoupeDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood Brougham, 83 Coupe Deville Lowrider SBC 355

Id like to see proof of getting the 15psi in tank pump regulated down to 5psi for a carburator. I tried a few different brands of regulators and after talking to tech guys on the phone at speed shops that sell these parts they confirmed what I had found by installing a bunch of these that they are for regulating pressure around what they are rated at not bringing pressure way down. Put a gauge on yours and see if you are really getting it down to 5psi. You put a 4-8psi regulator on a pump that makes 4-8psi to regulate it between 4-8psi. 15psi just maxes out the spring inside a smaller regulator and does nothing for regulating.

I mounted an electric pump where the original fuel filter mounts to the frame so that it is below the tank and pushes the fuel more than it pulls it. It will suck it right through the old pump so no need to buy a new sending unit for carbed caddys. You will need to plug your return line because gas will siphon back through that return line from the tank. The vent line you can leave open somewhere where water wont get in it.

Ive done this swap and helped out many who are also doing it. Ive worked out alot of kinks in the process. I drive my car on 500 mile trips a few times a year no problem, its very reliable and everything works as it should.

Let me know if theres anything else you need help on. That LAYITLOW.COM link is where I help out others with the swap.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Your proof is in post 34. csbuckn has posted videos of his car running after the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoupeDTS View Post
    You will need to plug your return line because gas will siphon back through that return line from the tank.
    I bought a fuel pressure regulator that had one input and two outputs, one output for the carb and one for the return line. I didnt measure the fuel pressure but it ran just fine at any speed. Anything beyond 7psi is returned to the tank and it has worked perfectly. I'd also put a filter on the vent so nothing gets in there.

I see how that will work are those type of regulators easy to find? Not to put any one down but, I have to say I like that method better.

This is the one I got. I put it on and didnt even adjust or measure it. They say it comes set at 5psi.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holle...#ht_1612wt_898

thanks for that link thats a nice regulator

I plan on using my rebuilt 2004r until it bites the dust. I'm wondering if I got the mounts out of a 90-92 brougham will I be able to bolt a chevy 350 in using existing holes with the 200r tranny?

I have no problem with welding the chevy mounts in welding is what i do but I would like to bolt the motor in if possible.

CoupeDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood Brougham, 83 Coupe Deville Lowrider SBC 355

I have one of those chrome regulators brand new if anyone wants to buy one still in the packaging. Same kind I used on mine. Dont use it with the stock pump tho.

The return line regulators are a whole different kind of regulator. I never did test one of those out but in theory it should work. I had so much bad luck with other regulators I was done fooling with it and bought a $35 fuel pump and was done with it. Also I was trying to keep the engine bay as clean as possible and didnt want more gas lines in it. If it works thats awesome thats just another option people have when doing the swap

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.