An interesting article on the 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special Talisman - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, An interesting article on the 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special Talisman in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by CBodyFan The author of the article isn't an expert on Cadillacs in any way. His description of ...
    HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

Re: An interesting article on the 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special Talisman

Quote Originally Posted by CBodyFan View Post
    The author of the article isn't an expert on Cadillacs in any way. His description of the first generation Seville was proof of that.
    I agree. And no self respecting V.P. would be caught dead in a Calais. Calais were for the wanna-bees, Devilles for the country club and Broughams for the executives. Sevilles were not cheap when new. They were definately bought by those wanted the newest and best no matter the price. Eldos for women? Hardly. This guy may understand the joys of a Talisman, but he has no idea the history of the marque or ownership.

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

Re: An interesting article on the 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special Talisman

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    I kinda like this excerpt, where the author compares the Talisman to an '84 Seventy-Five. It's a great commentary on the demise of Cadillac.
    I don't think that is a fair comparison. The Fleetwood Broughams were primarliy owner driven. A series seventy five (of any era) was seldom used as anything but livery use, be it commercial or private. Sure a series 75 will carry more people in smaller footprint. The 85-87 series 75 limos were also poor sellers. The market had changed. That buyer preferred the bigger stretch limos.

1977 Cadillacs a failure? Hardly. 77-79 Cadillacs sold very well. The Devilles broke sales records. This guy is clueless. Front drive was a huge advance and selling point on the 1967 on the Eldorados. Yes the 85-88 Devilles were too small for their day. The 89 restyle was a huge improvement. The 77-89 Rear drives were very popular.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 1976 Cadillacs. But looking at all of the cars today, the 76 is the one that looks comical by todays standards.

brougham_geezer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '66 SDV, '76 FWB, '80 Hearse, '71 Riviera & '75 Chevy RV

Here here, HartfordGuy! Also, am I the only one who finds the quality of the fake wood in the '74-'76 interiors to be extremely high? It looks awesome and feels fantastic to the touch. Actually, the whole interior during those years seems worlds ahead of the early '70s & '77-'92. And they certainly seem to hold up better long-term. That sweeping dash is something to behold. Beautiful.

Also, that triple black Talisman this guy is reviewing is a dream car of mine. I just love it.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by HartfordGuy View Post
    I don't think that is a fair comparison. The Fleetwood Broughams were primarliy owner driven. A series seventy five (of any era) was seldom used as anything but livery use, be it commercial or private. Sure a series 75 will carry more people in smaller footprint. The 85-87 series 75 limos were also poor sellers. The market had changed. That buyer preferred the bigger stretch limos.

1977 Cadillacs a failure? Hardly. 77-79 Cadillacs sold very well. The Devilles broke sales records. This guy is clueless. Front drive was a huge advance and selling point on the 1967 on the Eldorados. Yes the 85-88 Devilles were too small for their day. The 89 restyle was a huge improvement. The 77-89 Rear drives were very popular.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 1976 Cadillacs. But looking at all of the cars today, the 76 is the one that looks comical by todays standards.
    Regarding your last sentence, I strongly disagree. To me, the '76 looks like a real Cadillac and the modern ones look comical.

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

I don't think it is so much that the new ones look comical, and they are not my cup of tea, but that they do not look like what we happen to think a Cadillac should look like. From 1949 through 1992 the "standard" size RWD Cadillac's had a consistent look that made each new Cadillac recognizably Cadillac. Even the radical change from 1958 to 1959 or 1976 to 1977 retained a unmistakable family resemblance. The radically engineered and proportioned 1967 Eldorado was unmistakably Cadillac. Then there was the first small Cadillac, the 1976 Seville, that despite it's radically new styling and greatly altered proportions, still managed to look like and feel like a Cadillac. Even without bladed fenders and vertical tail lamps it was pure Cadillac. The 1979 Eldorado managed to retain it's road presence despite a radical downsizing.

By the late 1970s/early 80s (when the new cars of the 1980s were being planned) Cadillac management lost most of its control over it's cars and became just another GM corporate product resulting in cars like the Cimarron and the 1985 FWD DeVille. Today Cadillac is a "brand", but there was a time when Cadillac was an actual manufacturing and engineering concern with a general manager who had a great deal of say over Cadillac products. Probably the last car that Cadillac really controlled the design and engineering of was the 1976 Seville, the history of which is a fascinating read.

Today the "brand managers" at GM try to evoke a little heritage with vertical tail lamps. The current SRX even has a tiny little fin above the taillight (my sister has one, she didn't even notice it). But any sense of Cadillac being an automobile company is long gone. GM, unfortunately for them, took the road that Ford and Chrysler did, rather than stay the course with semi-autonomous divisions that worked so well for them for so many decades.

PRdeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 De Ville ; '95 Fleetwood Brougham

Interesting read.
    Great comments in this thread.

Now I love my '75 even more.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

...but have you posted pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by PRdeVille View Post
    Interesting read.
    Great comments in this thread.

Now I love my '75 even more.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.