which body style to buy: 77-79 or 75-76 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, which body style to buy: 77-79 or 75-76 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by sven914 From an ascetics stand point, I'd say (from best to worse) '74-'76, '71, then 78-'79. If ...
    pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Re: which body style to buy: 77-79 or 75-76

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    From an ascetics stand point, I'd say (from best to worse) '74-'76, '71, then 78-'79. If I was looking for power, I wouldn't be getting a Cadillac.

The '74-'76 Cadillacs have a very imposing appearance, which makes them look larger than they are. They have more options than other generations, so they have a pretty wide range of luxury.
    Ditto on the '74-'76`s having a very imposing appearance.It seems the "rear fender skirts" always make any car look longer.
    Even though the '77-'79`s did`nt have true fender skirts,they did`nt have a full open rear wheel well either----the rear tires were parially covered by the "flared out" rear fender which made cleaning the whitewalls easier.
    More attention to quality was given to the '77`s and up Caddy`s.I know firsthand since i worked as a Die Maker at GM during those years.Part of my apprenticeship at GM required several months in the Quality Control Dept. More attention to quality/detail was given to '77 and up models compared to pre-'77`s.

PRdeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 De Ville ; '95 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    I know firsthand since i worked as a Die Maker at GM during those years.Part of my apprenticeship at GM required several months in the Quality Control Dept. More attention to quality/detail was given to '77 and up models compared to pre-'77`s.
    Wow! That's awesome history!

Any other cool tidbits you can share?
    Maybe another thread?
    Working at GM during those years must have been pretty cool!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

One point in the 77-79's favor over the earlier cars is improved rust prevention. The older cars seem to rust out a lot more around the backlight and under the vinyl roof, and in the lower rear front fenders. The older cars do ride better, though, thanks to all that extra road-hugging weight.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I Think it was '76 that the government (either the EPA or DOT) started regulating automakers on rust prevention, and that's why '77 and up cars don't deteriorate as badly.

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

IMO the 71-73 Cadillacs are kind of ugly and a low point in quality. The interiors got better in the 74-76 cars, along with the styling. The 77-79 cars are built a lot tighter as mentioned above. IMO I'd just buy a 69 or 70 Cadillac if you want that 70's sort of styling, they blow any of the later cars out of the water in terms of style. Another big plus is the 472 in those cars has no emissions bs and A LOT more horsepower. They move out pretty quick and will fry the rear tires off if so prompted.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    One point in the 77-79's favor over the earlier cars is improved rust prevention. The older cars seem to rust out a lot more around the backlight and under the vinyl roof, and in the lower rear front fenders. The older cars do ride better, though, thanks to all that extra road-hugging weight.
    Yes,nothing provides a better ride than "road hugging weight".GM went to using more "zincro-metal" in the '77 and up models to help prevent rust.
    My '78 Deville,now 33 years old,only has/had a little rust on the door bottoms and nowhere else.I recently got rid of that little rust.I`ve been under my '78 and there is absolutely no rust at all on any of the inner fenders--the zincrometal coating is still clearly visible on all inner fenders and it`s still preventing rust.
    After 33 years the only rattles i hear when driving is when driving over really bumpy railroad tracks.These minor rattles originate within the dash and could probably be eliminated by tightening some of the dashboard screws.Overall it`s a very quiet ride and i love it!
    I also own a mint 1995 Deville and it`s clear it has much tighter fit than my '78 and the '95 has by far the quietest interior of any car i`ve ever owned----mainly due to the extra thick window glass on all doors.
    One of the major customer complaints on pre-'77 Caddy`s was the sometimes loose door window glass and windnoise leaks since the door glass was all "un"framed.Most '77 and up models,as we all know, had "framed" window glass which made the glass more secure.

fslay--if you`ve got pockets deep enough for a '75-'76 gulper--go for it dude! This era of Caddy`s are the longest/widest and heaviest of all time.If i had the $$$ i`d get one for sure to add to my collection.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    I Think it was '76 that the government (either the EPA or DOT) started regulating automakers on rust prevention, and that's why '77 and up cars don't deteriorate as badly.
    What you're thinking of was Jimmy Carter's chastising of Chrysler's Aspen/Volare models that began rusting thru in 77 and 78, even though they had only been introduced in 76.

Although, on topic, the 77-80 cars are MUCH better at resisting corrosion than the 71-76 cars - not that the earlier ones were rust buckets, but the 77 and up vehicles are very resistant to corrosion. I've seen examples that have sat outside untouched for decades and the panels are still fairly straight.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

Speaking of rust and corrosion, I had rust issues with my 72. The vinyl top created problems for me, I had rust all around the edges where the trunk met the top.I had rust along the wheel wells, and various spots. GM did use good steel during that era, but you can tell they didn't use a whole lot of rust preventives. My 68 also had rust issues, so it's not just 70's cads.

I do prefer the interiors of the later years, Cadillac finally started adding more detail and quality on the inside as time went on surprisingly. Even the 1969-70 looks blandish inside. But the seats were great, and it just felt like a little more solid car compared to my 72. What makes those Cads worth picking up is not for it's interior, but for it's exterior styling that is one of the best ever when it came to Cadillac grills.

My friends brother used to own a 73 Olds 98 coupe, that thing was nice! It didn't have the looks of the Caddy, but the car rode so smooth, and the interior was great. He sold it a year later

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Id get whatever year you like the looks of the best. If you like them all go for whatever is the nicest one you can find for the price you want to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by PRdeVille View Post
    Wow! That's awesome history!

Any other cool tidbits you can share?
    Maybe another thread?
    Working at GM during those years must have been pretty cool!
    I`m glad you think that`s awesome history!

Working at GM during those years was`nt exactly pretty "cool"---it was hot sweaty work in that hot factory in the summertime for sure.What was cool was the excellent benefits we had back then as GM was king of the hill in the 1970`s.We even had "personal paid holidays" for about a year or so,in addition to all the regular holidays.
    Models for cars were done in clay then--no computers yet.
    Everytime the CADILLAC "trunk lid,door panels,hoods,roofs" etc. lines ran,all the white shirts in management had to come down personally to inspect these parts in a specially lit quality control room.They did this for CADILLAC`S only,"not" buicks,oldmobiles,pontiacs,chevrolet`s etc.
    I started working there in "production--press room".My job was to help load Cadillac trunk lids in racks---Caddy trunk lids were huge and heavy in the '70`s so it took 2 people to load each lid into shipping racks.After 1 year doing that i applied for an apprenticeship in "die making" and was accepted.Took 4 years to complete that and i got my journeymans card.
    It was overall good working there in the '70`s.Things began going downhill for us when company execs started shipping our american jobs overseas.Then came many "corporate downsizing`s"--closing many GM plants,including the one i worked at.
    PRdeVille and PRdeVille like this.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    I`m glad you think that`s awesome history!

Working at GM during those years was`nt exactly pretty "cool"---it was hot sweaty work in that hot factory in the summertime for sure.What was cool was the excellent benefits we had back then as GM was king of the hill in the 1970`s.We even had "personal paid holidays" for about a year or so,in addition to all the regular holidays.
    Models for cars were done in clay then--no computers yet.
    Everytime the CADILLAC "trunk lid,door panels,hoods,roofs" etc. lines ran,all the white shirts in management had to come down personally to inspect these parts in a specially lit quality control room.They did this for CADILLAC`S only,"not" buicks,oldmobiles,pontiacs,chevrolet`s etc.
    I started working there in "production--press room".My job was to help load Cadillac trunk lids in racks---Caddy trunk lids were huge and heavy in the '70`s so it took 2 people to load each lid into shipping racks.After 1 year doing that i applied for an apprenticeship in "die making" and was accepted.Took 4 years to complete that and i got my journeymans card.
    It was overall good working there in the '70`s.Things began going downhill for us when company execs started shipping our american jobs overseas.Then came many "corporate downsizing`s"--closing many GM plants,including the one i worked at.
    GM did nobody favors towards the end of the 70's and 80's by out sourcing jobs and closing down plants. Downsizing did ruin it's image and caused a lot of problems for the company. American Auto makers were at their best when they built big cars, which were so reliable. But because of foreign competition, GM and the rest of America's car makers started to struggle because they didn't know how to make high quality, reliable small cars.

Pompste, in what year did you start to notice the decline and cost cutting at GM? When did steel quality go down, and overall quality? From my experience, it looked like 76 and down had good metal, with a heavy build. But the very next year, it all changed. The 77's were smaller and lighter, but with improved interiors. I wonder how the workers on the line felt back then after seeing drastic reductions in quality as time marched on.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCaddyLacky View Post
    GM did nobody favors towards the end of the 70's and 80's by out sourcing jobs and closing down plants. Downsizing did ruin it's image and caused a lot of problems for the company. American Auto makers were at their best when they built big cars, which were so reliable. But because of foreign competition, GM and the rest of America's car makers started to struggle because they didn't know how to make high quality, reliable small cars.

Pompste, in what year did you start to notice the decline and cost cutting at GM? When did steel quality go down, and overall quality? From my experience, it looked like 76 and down had good metal, with a heavy build. But the very next year, it all changed. The 77's were smaller and lighter, but with improved interiors. I wonder how the workers on the line felt back then after seeing drastic reductions in quality as time marched on.
    No one liked the outsourcing at all--especially the older workers and even the older management employees balked at it.I was just 18 years old when i hired in at GM so it did`nt mean much to me at the time.I just liked the generous paychecks i was getting!
    The steel used in Cadillacs was always some "mils"--millimeters thicker than used on chevy`s,buicks,pontiacs,olds etc.Every now and then we`d get a bad batch of steel from GM`s vendors and it would "split" when run thru the presses,causing the lines to shut down and they would have to find batches of good steel that did`nt split,but overall the quality remained high,especially for Caddy`s.Caddy`s always were of the highest priority.
    Not much was made of Caddy`s first downsizing,in plant, in '77--, we knew it was coming in late '75 early '76.However Caddy print ads did make a big deal of it.The dies for cars had to be made a year sometimes 2 years in advance.The Eldorado still retained it`s big size a while longer.No one liked the massive downsizing, in '85,shrinking the length of the Sedan Deville by an absurd 26 inches and several inches in width also.Major customer complaints were the result.During this time Cadillac lost many customers.Even people that worked there that wanted a full size luxury ride actually bought Lincolns and had the gall to drive them to work.The production people on the line were mainly there to get a generous check.We in skilled trades and our bosses/higher management knew things began to go downhill in the mid '80`s.
    I own a '78 and a '95 Sedan Deville and i`m real pleased with the quality of both.
    Poor quality became an issue again in 2000-2004 or so DTS/DHS`s---bad window rollers,paint chipping off radio knobs,chrome chipping off factory wheels, etc.Many did`nt like the "alphabet soup" names either.Many also did`nt like the dropping of the Fleetwood in '96.
    The cost cutting/decline became real obvious to us in '85.Younger workers hiring in then knew they would "never" be in the "30 years here and retire" bunch as previous generations could count on.And as we all know today---no job is safe/secure these days at all.
    PRdeVille and PRdeVille like this.

PRdeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 De Ville ; '95 Fleetwood Brougham

Pomptse,
    I think it's great that you're sharing all these history.
    I don't know anybody else that worked in Cadillac/GM.

Maybe a new thread should be started, where you can type up two or three of these extremely interesting slices of Caddy history!

Neil Clarke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 76 Sedan Deville

I'm quite partial to my 76 sedan deville
    Floats like a boat ... just don't drive it like a racecar... I have racecars for that
    Always gets looks wherever I go
    Just alittle hard to park thats all
    Gas mileage... who cares

Quote Originally Posted by PRdeVille View Post
    Pomptse,
    I think it's great that you're sharing all these history.
    I don't know anybody else that worked in Cadillac/GM.

Maybe a new thread should be started, where you can type up two or three of these extremely interesting slices of Caddy history!
    Good to know you think some of my real life experiences working at GM were interesting! It was good working there,especially during the glory days in the 1970`s. I`ve hogged this thread too long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.