Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CadillacPimpinNOLA's 95 Fleetwood buildup 56K your computer will blow up

199K views 1K replies 54 participants last post by  CPN504 
#1 ·
since several people asked me too...ill start from the beginning, its in progress so as I do more work ill update it.

this is my 1st time seeing the car when a co-worker found it after i told him a few different models i was interested in. took a month to get in touch with him cuz no one lived at the house.

was really dirty from sitting all them years after the owner passed away. the uncle didnt want to fool with it and it wouldnt start. he said make an offer. I made an offer for $1000 how it sits with 16,495 miles on the odometer, he accepted and i towed it home a few days later. dropped the fuel tank and put a new fuel pump in, cleaned the injectors and it fired right up the first day i got it home.

then i gave it a good cleaning inside and out

started with the chrome rocker moldings

cleaned the factory dry-rotted tires and rolled them for a few months till i had a blow-out

carpet was kinda funky so i pulled it out and cleaned it, new jute and it put it back in, good time to run some wires for the radio and future stereo

cleaned up shortly after i got it, sitting next to my lil mini truck

still had the other guys handicap plate

looks pretty nice on the underside

not long after getting the car I had to change the tires and A/C compressor was leaking out the seal.

First Day of driving it i had to clean the engine. this is what it looks like 365 a year. gets a lil dusty but i just clean it again

See less See more
#298 ·
to get back some of my spending, i have some side work im trying to knockout fairly quickly. few interior pieces smoothed and painted for a friends girlfriend, then I have 4 cars lined up to install actuators on to lift/lower the trunk...a 91 fleetwood, 63 impala lowrider full show, and a newer model avalon and camry...on top of now every sunday the owner has me working on the new dealership and paying me tax free, not much but it something since gas keeps going up....come on powerball or mega millions

#300 ·
heres some good news, I wasnt sure I could get 10-cubic foot out of the sub box I built and several people on audio forumn without even seeing the whole box, just the front installed in the car, had nothing but negative comments about just start over and your no where near 10cubic foot its impossible, ect, ect, ect...I shook the haters off...anyway Its not exact form of measurement but it gets very close by using packing peanuts for odd shape boxs...I got a bunch from my supply guy for a cool $0 and got to filling a 1cubic foot box, dump in and do it again....turns out that the box is roughly 10.10 almost 11cubic foot...now I have to figure sub and port displacement and figure a few things before I can build a port for it....

also borrowed a sprint palm phone thing to tune my Rockford fosgate sound processor...Ill get a few pics later. spent too much last night and drank too much so im being lazy right now

#301 ·
took this after staring to remove the packing peanuts, thats alot, took a while to get them all out to. got my port length and size that I need after all displacement and all I have to do is drag some wood out, cut it to length and install it. then sand the box baffles to make a smooth transition to the port...Its getting there...

few pics of how the 360.2 screen for tuning looks, all bluetooth controlled, no buttons, seperate eq for each speaker and subs...its going to take a while fine tuning it to perfection but im going to get it

#303 ·
you can download it from rockford fosgate if you dont have the disc. its free but you have to have a 360 sound processor for it to work...theres no buttons on the sound processor, all bluetooth controlled with a micro-processor to store the settings...none of my old phones or new computer can link up with it since RF for some reason took outdated as soon as it was released windows mobile and used that for the OS, an iphone or android would be so much better but thats on the new one not released yet and cost a fortune...I borrow a sprint palm from my friend at a local stereo shop, he had it all setup already

anyway, link up with bluetooth, set to your liking, save and your done till you want to change settings again....fine tune it to perfection

#304 ·
Just reading through your thread again, you said you used 4 packs of dynamat and didn't do the floor. Would a fifth pack be required to do the floor.? How much did it help with road noise? I'm thinking of "having" mine done, I want to hear my heart beating at highway speeds, and not because my wife is driving!!! Dynamat xtreme plus some foam, was quoted around 15hundy for the whole car.

#305 ·
i have 2 sheets left over out of 4 packs, and 1 more pack i could do the floor and firewall...as for road noise its real quiet im sure doing the floor will make it a lot quieter I just dont have the funds to spend on another pack right now...just spent $100 on some brake covers to go behind the rim. will be painting those to match soon.

some updates, i swear im almost done with this damn speaker box once and for all...I cut the port opening, the jigsaw i have sucks and so do the blades, the blade bends and screws my cuts up. so i tried to build a port, screw it to the inside and just sand it smooth from the baffle to the port...that didnt work out good... ended up buying a cheap air belt sander, cut the wood for the port,, cut the whole on the box bigger and sanded the edges smooth then beat the port in...later ill glue it and secure it to the box and maybe resin it up monday

#306 ·
mocked the port up, had to remove it, glue and screw it together then sand it a lil bit to fit it back in the box...I just resined the outside it, when it dries im going to flip it over, so the inside where the port meat the baffle and then ill smooth it out with some filler so it looks half ass decent.

got some etching primer on the disc brake covers, sanded them and hopefully tommorow i can get a lil paint on them and get them on the car

#309 ·
if its not one thing its another, bought 15" dust covers, assumed they would fit a 15" rim so no need to test fit especially since the rims are a pain to remove and install...dust cover is 13.5" in diameter...they dont fit...seems im going to have to find a lathe to perfect circle cut them and hopefully not scratch them.

got bored when I got home so the box is in, both pieces bolted together, i really have no plans to remove it except maybe to cover it at a later date, I installed the subs and wired them up also. maybe soon ill hook the batteries up and throw the amps in and try to tune it a lil bit...

I hooked one sub up, small wire, no charging system and with everything turned down except the radio volume which I didnt goto my max setting, well im suprised my rear view is still on the glass...I so cant wait to get this done

#310 ·
well it goes from not too bad to worse...I was setting the bass amp and I dropped one of the leads for my meter, it was hooked to the ground and to the positive on the amp, touched the dynamat for a second and got a spark. well now the output for my highs on the sound processor isnt working...thats a few 100 right there and I wont be replacing it anytime soon if it doesnt start working by tommorow. ill try a reset and such. but if i cant fix it then its going to change the whole sound of the system...

to take my mind off that BS I got some shrink tube and lugs and crimped the power wires under the hood and hooked them to the alternator, im going to route them a lil better but I can now start getting the wires hooked up in the back before doing the big 3 under the hood

#312 ·
my friend at the audio shop told me RF will fix it for $137 plus shipping...I may just hold off till the better 360.3 comes out...if i find this older 360.2 ill be in it for about $337. if i wait for the better 360.3 way more features and such , I can get it for about $350-400...ill just save up for its release and build everything else around it

----------

and as soon as I get the right diameter to fit my rim, my brother is going to take the covers to work and lathe them to my measurments

#314 ·
made some progress recently...got the holes drilled through the floor so i could run my new ground straps through and bolt them to the frame, installed the rubber grommets for safety and bolted the battery down with a nut and bolt instead of the sheetrock screws i mocked it up with...crimped all the lugs on the wires, shrink tubed them and hooked them up to the batteries with some temporary bolts...the subs are loud, not as loud inside the car as I was expecting but outside its insane. and partly is b/c the back seat and dynamat plus the box is facing rear in the trunk...its still loud, flexs the trunk and can be heard loud and clear from many blocks away....

ill have some updated pics later...going to try to mount the compressors later, then I have to remove a 4gauge wire i used for temp sound, hook the highs amp to the rear and get some more lugs so i can upgrade all the grounds(Big 3) under the hood

#315 ·
got a lil more work done, the compressors are mounted except for one bolt i still need to get in...i want to work on it tomorrow but I have a much needed side job and I so need the money right now, so i have to get this done...anyway, pics

hole through floor and mocked up battery with sheetrock screws

"0" Gauge grommet in hole, mirrored on both sides

underneath the car, the "0" Gauge grounds for the battery

looking up toward the taillight, behind the bumper, both sides are the remote mount fresh air filters for the compressors

compressor mounted and airline run through the rear

wires all over

----------

o, and i found a resistor burned up in the sound processor, so a friend of mine is going to replace it sometime hopefully this week and see if that fixes it...id attempt it but i dont have the fine tips for the soldering gun and my hand isnt steady enough for that tedious work, this piece is really really small

#318 ·
ok this is for our member here "beatz02" i told you id post this for you...the rattling noise you hear is not how it sounds when your by the car, the mic on the phone cannot pic up the low notes, 33hz so it just sounds different on the camera...next to it you hear low pounding, no rattling

this is with a stock alternator which soon will be bumped up, 3 optima yellow tops and I have yet to do the big 3 under the hood which will help out tremendously...

I done this real quick and short as to not piss the neighborhood off too much

look at that panel flex

#320 ·
yea, I still have to do that...went and bought some copper lugs so i can finish my wires under the hood "big 3" maybe do that tomorrow or later today....too much stuff to do this weekend...got too drunk last night and gambled a lil too much away, gotta get that money back with sidework now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.