CadillacPimpinNOLA's 95 Fleetwood buildup 56K your computer will blow up - Page 64
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 14 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, CadillacPimpinNOLA's 95 Fleetwood buildup 56K your computer will blow up in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Cool. Was thinking of bumping the thread about a week ago, and then my follow on photobucket popped up a ...
    talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: CadillacPimpinNOLA's 95 Fleetwood buildup 56K your computer will blow up

Cool. Was thinking of bumping the thread about a week ago, and then my follow on photobucket popped up a few photos from you so I figured you would be posting soon.

Sorry to hear about the back. It's a bitch being so young and having back problems. I got injured on the job at 19 and have had a "glass back" ever since. I look the wrong way and it can give me fits for a week!

CadillacPimpinNOLA is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

well, another damn set back

right after I post an update, the next day my PC dies and guess who didnt have his stuff backed up, "This guy" so i lost about 120 movies, 70,000+ songs and $750 buying a new PC tower...one way or another im getting into that harddrive cuz some of the music I cant get anywhere

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Try spinrite... if the bios can see it spinrite can probably save the drive at least enough to copy your stuff off it. Sometimes it can totally revive a dead pc.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

thanks, ill try it and let you know what happens, im open to anything right now.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

you can also try just yanking the drive, putting it in an external USB enclosure, and hooking it up to the new pc that way to recover everything. If the old pc died because of hardware failure other than the HDD, this'll work. If it died because the portion of the drive that boots it up (master boot record), this'll work too although that kind of corruption means other sectors may start getting corrupted also. Still, you'd be surprised how much you can still recover by just converting it to an external drive.

If the drive just won't spin up, or makes crazy grinding noises, then that's pretty much the point where you're more than likely SOL.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

I've done this before, too. The boot sector on my hard drive went belly-up. I bought a new hard drive and installed it as the master. Then I plugged the old one in as a secondary drive. It worked great. I was able to get all the data off the drive.
    If you only want to recover the data, you don't need to set it up as an external drive, in an enclosure, etc. This is only if you want to continue using the old drive.

i dont need the hard drive once i get my stuff off of it, I bought a new tower with way more everything, blows the old computer out the water.

I did get what Poda recommended, a hard drive enclosure...plug the drive in and it spins up, list it in the "my computer" section and shows that its 67.3 GB free of 685 GB which is what it was before the crash.

it shows folders from my PC also but when clicking on them it says "this folder is empty" yet the drive is almost full, I also have it to view hidden object and nothing.

so i have DDR scanning the drive and hopefully it finds something, left the scanner on last night only to find out someone closed it and this thing takes forever scanning all the files

HOPING this works

i'd still recommend running spinrite ... gotta install the drive internally though - spinrite doesn't work on external drives
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

i have spinrite, i was going to load it on my computer since i have no way of getting it on the bad hard drive and it said something about installing it will do something to the operating system and right now im not at that point to screw this new computer up.

Spinrite is a cd img (bootable) that runs on the bios level (basically). I guess there's an exe version or something but I've never used it. Spinrite has paid for itself many many times over for me over the years. It's just a statistical fact that just about everyone will have hard drive problems over time.

this is what it says

I've never run it inside windows. I've always burned an iso disc and booted to it.

so what your saying is burn the iso file to a disc on the new computer, put the bad HD back in the old computer and use that disc in the old PC...

seems a lil clearer, may do that after work today

Yeah... it's pretty simple to use ... looks like an old dos-days program

but it works (most of the time)

well, ran the spinrite, 2 spots it gave issues and said contact them, im pretty much throwing the towel in, back to downloading and get most of the stuff back I lost.

updates, I contacted Sundown Audio and still no box specs so maybe this weekend if its not raining, ill go buy the wood for the box and some resin to remake the trunk pod

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.