Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CadillacPimpinNOLA's 95 Fleetwood buildup 56K your computer will blow up

199K views 1K replies 54 participants last post by  CPN504 
#1 ·
since several people asked me too...ill start from the beginning, its in progress so as I do more work ill update it.

this is my 1st time seeing the car when a co-worker found it after i told him a few different models i was interested in. took a month to get in touch with him cuz no one lived at the house.

was really dirty from sitting all them years after the owner passed away. the uncle didnt want to fool with it and it wouldnt start. he said make an offer. I made an offer for $1000 how it sits with 16,495 miles on the odometer, he accepted and i towed it home a few days later. dropped the fuel tank and put a new fuel pump in, cleaned the injectors and it fired right up the first day i got it home.

then i gave it a good cleaning inside and out

started with the chrome rocker moldings

cleaned the factory dry-rotted tires and rolled them for a few months till i had a blow-out

carpet was kinda funky so i pulled it out and cleaned it, new jute and it put it back in, good time to run some wires for the radio and future stereo

cleaned up shortly after i got it, sitting next to my lil mini truck

still had the other guys handicap plate

looks pretty nice on the underside

not long after getting the car I had to change the tires and A/C compressor was leaking out the seal.

First Day of driving it i had to clean the engine. this is what it looks like 365 a year. gets a lil dusty but i just clean it again

See less See more
#399 ·
yea a divider would mess everything from the tuning to internal volume ect...you can use one but would have to sit down and reconfigure all your specs...that one sheet down the center is enough to drop or raise the hertz to a point where it sounds terrible and doesnt pound at all

its just a preference for me to run one giant port, it wont clash with both speakers battling air against each other...just a preference...

and yea ill design a box you just have to give me your max HxWxD outer dimensions and the sub specs and we can do that

#401 ·
after work it stopped raining, risked hernia to get the box outside.

used the router no jig to cut the first sub holes, no perfect but not bad, made a huge mess, ill do the 2nd sub holes and port tomorrow

all them screws nice and uniform and IN THE WRONG SIDE OF THE PANEL, DAMNIT

healthy helping of titebond 3

and all the screws in the correct side and tightened up. the top row is for the top panel which im not ready for right now

drying for tomorrow

#403 ·
i have a shed to work in but its not big enough to move around with this big thing plus like to keep it dust free

if i had a garage and say a table saw so i could make my cuts faster and out the range the box would prolly be done in 2 days.

I still have to cut the 45s for bracing and sand a few areas in the inside, then i can seal up the top and get it in the car, then cut the box out the trunk without cutting any wires or other important stuff

I need a garage

#404 ·
talk about fast when i want, work will not pick up like the last few years it sucks, so i been taking half days to save gas, no reason to go back to work and sit around when i can do that at home.

i called the boss, he says the sunroof track is in for a mariner im working on.

since it was raing i went back to work, pulled and the visors, seatbelts, door weatherstrips, pillar moldings, roof console and 2 lights middle and rear, pulled the headliner, unhooked everything and dropped the sunroof track and glass, swapped the shade visor, switch the glass over. reversed process on everything, set the glass in the correct position and went back home.

1 hour 45 minutes the whole job...i swear i could shave some minutes if i didnt have to run back to the toolbox a few times

#405 ·
ok, came home for lunch, pulled the box out and sanded a few areas that were bothering me, routed the port and sub holes in the front baffle, cleaned up and put the box back inside cuz the rain started again.

its not raining now but wet out, so i have a few spots in the port the round router bit coulnt get in the corners. im going to hand sand that

still havent cut the braces, but i may do that in a bit and then throw the top of the box on, may even put the braces in later

edges on the port nice and flush now

3 big holes ready to put the router through

fresh routing and a ton of saw dust to clean up

#408 ·
lol, i put the top on, its just a pain trying to cut a 2" peice of scrap with both ends 45ed with a circular saw, im going to see if i my neighbor can cut them on his table saw if not ill stop by the audio shop tomorrow

in the mean time i put the top on so its done, i can put the rest in later. im about to pull the seat out and go find some food.

#409 ·
ran into 2 issues, one minor one well shit happens.

I cut the holes too tight so the subs dont set in there fully, just a lil sanding on the inside and they will drop right in.

the other issue is when i planned this, i didnt see the hump in the floor in the center on the seat b/c the seat was in the car so now the box will sit up about 3-4" higher than i want.

pulled the seat, put the back part back in for now, descrewed and some how managed to get the box out with out cutting it out which is great, it is now in the trash and i did notice that i seperated the fiberglass bottom from the front of the box so that i know will cause some sound issues

stupid hump

#410 ·
this rain is really getting on my nerves even though we need it, plus it induces wrecks which bring me work

i sanded the holes for the subs by hand with 80 grit. the subs fit tighter than a seals, well you know

drilled the holes for the wire, ill pick some wire up tomorrow, trying to have this thing in tomorrow and wired up and goto but not entering a big car show this weekend.

still have to make some legs to level it when i get it in the car cuz of that stupid hump

moved the bass amps and wired them up as soon as i finished the rain came, i like the new location and i had a peice of scrap MDF that fit perfect for what i needed

mocked up

secured and wired up

im prolly going to ditch the side panels in the future and mount those amps below the bass amps...on a good note, I put the subs on the multi meter and they are still reading the correct ohms so it looks like nothing is wrong besides being broke in

#411 ·
the box is in and it pounds very very hard, it sits up high like i thought and I cant put my seat back as far as i want but for now ill deal with it.

manage to tear the rear door panel ina few places where the door closed trying to get the 200lb box in. also tore the door weatherstrip but thats an easy replacement part

#414 ·
i have to tune one of the amps, the passenger sub is getting hot while the other is fine, prolly hit one of the dials when i pulled the amps out...

still gonna ride glasshouse, if someone can get the box out of the car more power to them but it wont be easy

ill try to take a video sometime today, i havent even seen what it looks like full tilt outside the car but yesterday ppl were pointing at me so it must be flexing something

#416 ·
made an armature mistake yesterday trying to beat the rain when hooking the amps up...

there was a reason only one sub dustcap was getting hot andyea the tune was a lil off...i got in the trunk a few minutes ago to retune the amps and found that i forgot to hook the remote wire up for the driverside amp. so done that, fresh new tune and its even nastier now that both subs are thumpin

just so you dont think im crazy and say well the sub wasnt moving you should have known that it was working. the other subs back and forth pressure moving air, moves the other sub too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.