69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Deville Rag View Post
    Holy crap, the interior turned out amazing!! It's pretty remarkable what new interior does to improve the look of the car. (Just like a great haircut)

What's next to get done??
    Thanks for the comment I totally agree. Thatīs why I finally took the car to one of the best upholstery shops in my city... But these guys donīt go crazy with price; just the right amount for a good professional job.

Next things to do: Changing parking brake (Iīve just received another one working), changing wiper motor, fixing back up lights and changing seals and gaskets of transmission as the car has a noticeable leak presumably by front seal. Then changing truck tail lights on rear bumper for '70 rear bumper moldings, with back up lights inserted in them changed to the outer part of bumper so they work as orange turn lights changing white bulb for an orange one to comply with European regulations, but keeping most of originality. I have them with me and Iīm planning how to adapt them to my bumper.

68 Deville Rag is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe De Ville Convertible

Sounds like you've got enough to keep you busy for a bit!

Forgot to get working A/C blower; now it works only at minimum speed... And a '70 steering wheel to be able to use horn on the wheel; now itīs in a bracket under dash For next year, new front spring coils, redo bottom front fenders (somewhat rotten), taking back original exterior mirror, a new hidden sound system -a sober one; donīt need 40,000 Watts.- and who knows what else the car will ask for

As I told you, here are some pics of trunk re-upholstered. Water entered in the past in it (presumably through vinyl roof groove around rear window) so most of carpet was rotten, though fortunately floor was ok. Most of side cardboard stayed in its place. The upholsterer made new carpet in 2 pieces, covered cardboard and rest of trunk sides with fabric keyed with carpet and made a cover for the spare wheel:

post image wordpress

upload pngpng

upload pngpng

image hosting

upload gif

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

nice...my trunk is barely there. I'm afraid to even take all the parts/tools/junk out of it to see if there is even any floor left. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    nice...my trunk is barely there. I'm afraid to even take all the parts/tools/junk out of it to see if there is even any floor left. haha.
    There must be a rather firm floor there, or it should have collapsed to ground with all the weight you have there :LOL:

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

That trunk looks great!

You've definitely got one talented upholstery shop there....

Thanx cardboard covering hinges was missing but I prefer it so, as IMO it waists room in trunk but if I had given them a pic of the original cardboard Iīm sure they would have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by PRdeVille View Post

As to the squeaking compressor:
    Are you 100% sure you have the right belt?
    Two things:
    First, that belt has to be tight like a solid pole.
    Second, there are two belts with the correct length... yet one is "slimmer".
    This slim one (thinner) goes deeper into the V-grove, and squeals.
    The fatter belt rests more "outside" of the V-grove, and works as it should.

Let us know how it goes!
    Well, finally I bought a set of wrenches in inches and, with the help of a friend, we adjusted compressor/power steering belt tension. Previously, I tried to do it with my metric wrench set but no way as there is little room to move wrench and the head of one of the bolts was somewhat worn. The squeal is gone Now I can test quietly cooling power of system. I think air out of A/C outlets on dash should be cooler at minimum temp. -Iīve read that this system could be chilling even when outside temperature was extremely high-. The A/C guy charged system at 0.750 Kgs. (1.65 lbs.). He was afraid some part of an old circuit could break under more pressure -He had just had already a bad experience-. Yesterday I read on the FSM the circuit charge is 4 lbs.

What do you think: Is adding more pressure up to 4 lbs. dangerous for an old system that probably has never been recharged in 41 years?

When valve was opened some remaining gas was still there (not much; the system could not produce cool air before, but at least circuit was not totally empty).

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

First, do a leak test of the system to be sure it can hold a charge. Then charge it to factory spec. Recheck pressure weekly for about a month. If it holds, you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    First, do a leak test of the system to be sure it can hold a charge. Then charge it to factory spec. Recheck pressure weekly for about a month. If it holds, you're good to go.
    Thanks. I think Iīll get more gas added and previously check if the 1.65 lbs are still there. After all, I think the element that would most probably burst is the dehydrator receiver bottle, and itīs easily replaceable.

Yesterday I finally received my '70 steering wheel. Needs restoring but price was fair for its condition: $59.95. One in really good condition can reach more than $ 250 and they are more and more difficult to find. Seller did not send it outside U.S. but outsider helped me receiving the wheel at home and reshipping it to Spain. Thanks again, man!

image hosting

free image hosting

upload images

image host

Center pad seems in rather good condition. Just crest missing but one is on the way. First step will be taking out the remains of veneer -now just semi-transparent plastic-, refilling the many cracks in the black ring, painting it in glossy black and then sending it to a wood restorer to refill the groove with real wood. After that, Weīll change original wheel for this and finally connect horn so we can suppress this wacky horn button under dash

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I see why you wanted it so bad, nice wheel.

Thanks It will take some work but I think finally it will be worth it. I want to imitate '69 wood insert, keyed with dash instead of the '70 one. Iīll post some pics of the process.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

glad the wheel made it there ok. looks like a fun restoration process can't wait to see pics

Yeah, Iīd like to start today. It promises tons of fun filling all the cracks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.