69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It's weird to see a shiny exhaust system; almost like it should have been left out in the rain for ...
    sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

It's weird to see a shiny exhaust system; almost like it should have been left out in the rain for a week to get a proper coating of age.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

At least is much more sober than a double exhaust like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUbZyKsYakk With time it will get a yellowish color mixed with some dust but the shop guy told me that I could clean and treat it with a metal polisher whenever I wanted and it would look just like new. Anyway, when the car is on the ground, exhaust is totally invisible; you must get under the car to see even the final section. That was the original idea when the car was designed.

I considered a double exhaust line (same design as this) but I discarded it as that meant much more money and I still have to expend a high sum in the upholstery + get all seals and gaskets of gearbox changed + fix lower front fenders...

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I see you elected to keep the resonator. Excellent choice!

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    At least is much more sober than a double exhaust like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUbZyKsYakk With time it will get a yellowish color mixed with some dust but the shop guy told me that I could clean and treat it with a metal polisher whenever I wanted and it would look just like new. Anyway, when the car is on the ground, exhaust is totally invisible; you must get under the car to see even the final section. That was the original idea when the car was designed.

I considered a double exhaust line (same design as this) but I discarded it as that meant much more money and I still have to expend a high sum in the upholstery + get all seals and gaskets of gearbox changed + fix lower front fenders...
    You'd have to be pretty fanatical to polish an exhaust pipe (though I wouldn't put it past some people). At least it will look good in the meantime.

@ 77CDV: Thanks, I like preserving original design unless it means a relevant drawback

@ sven914: I┤m not such a fanatic of showroom condition as to polish a part you never see unless you put the car on an elevator

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    You'd have to be pretty fanatical to polish an exhaust pipe (though I wouldn't put it past some people). At least it will look good in the meantime.
    I kid you not, there is a guy on the wagon forum who polished his exhaust pipes. He went into detail about what he did to accomplish it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    I kid you not, there is a guy on the wagon forum who polished his exhaust pipes. He went into detail about what he did to accomplish it, too.
    He must place mirrors under his car at meetings

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Someone has way too much time on his hands.

He's the most anal retentive person I have ever heard of or seen. He once detailed his engine bay because someone mentioned it was a little dirty after posting a pic of a mod.

Cool guy, but a little obsessive

CADForce, have you found yourself an American car club in Spain yet? I'd be interested to see what other people had over there.

In fact I┤ve just contacted one: The M.A.C. (Madrid American Cars) Club The mechanic I take most frequently my caddy belongs to it. Some weeks ago I was talking with the Chairman. They are planning a Drive-in cinema meeting for all who can take a classic american, but I will have to take my Dodge as the caddy is being re-upholstered, but they meet the third Sunday of the month in Villaviciosa -a town in the outskirts of Madrid. These pics were taken some weeks ago:

free image hosting

adult image hosting

image hosting

image uploader

gif upload

image host

image hosting

image uploader

image uploading

wordpress image hosting

free image hosting

image hosting

upload pngpng

The car of the first pics is Felix┤s '76 Eldorado. He brought the car from New York 12 years ago. Engine and Trans. were ok. but interior was awful. He has been restoring since then every screw of the car and now seeing it is a delight. He has lots of details remindig Elvis. He┤s in love with his car. No pics of his wife or sons in his wallet. Only his caddy┤s pic :LOL:

ail45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Grats, man gorgeous car.

and that convertible in ivory/ offwhite is fkn beautiful.

I love that '60 Polara...

@ail45: Thank you. It will improve. You┤ll see Talking with the '76 Eldo┤s owner is exciting. He can tell you passionately all the restoration process of his car. He never had it stopped for more than 3 months as he needed to drive it once a resto stage was over.

@sven914: The Polara in the pic has its body and interior totally restored. It was registered in Oviedo (Spain) on December 1969. The owner has also a totally restored '60 Impala hardtop; could not ask him about the car story.

Last Tuesday I visited the upholstery shop to see how much they had progressed with my caddy. I could not believe it; they had almost finished -just installing a door panel to be done- so it only took them 1,5 weeks. I asked them to have it ready for my brother┤s wedding -sept, 10- but never thought it was ready so soon. Everything was done very professionally as my friend told me when he recommended them to me. Finally for the agreed price, they also upholstered the whole trunk, did a cover for the spare wheel and made new individual carpets keyed with the main one.

Door panels are very well restored and seams were done in the least visible way. Shape has been kept almost totally. Most of the seats had to be reconstructed -even the base frame, partly broken-. Finally we selected leather for the seats (flax color) and synthetic leather for the rest (light brown color) but patterns were kept, even buttons on the back, as are part of the interior personality of the car. Carpet color is also very similar in color and texture (even smoother). Plastic in the back of the front seats and between doors were covered with the same material than door panels as it was disintegrating. Belts (which were very dirty) were cleaned by introducing them into a special cleaner for a day. Headliners and sun visors were kept but were cleaned as much as possible. Headliner can break if you push it strongly, as it happened to me (fortunately the little rip is behind a sun visor).

The bad news were that radio, tested by the shop owner┤s brother -auto-sound professional- could not be fixed, as I expected. Not even the AM-FM selector worked.

Now the car has improved a lot esthetically and I┤m very happy when I see interior like new when driving. Now some pics (You may compare with the first ones I uploaded ):

This is the only door I could see without its panel:

upload pngpng

Finishing the work:

upload gif

png upload

wordpress image hosting

wordpress image hosting

upload gif
    Rear window frame was also covered with synthetic leather; the lower part had a lot of rust but body had only superficial rust at that area, as they told me. New rear tray was done with new speakers and new wire under carpet to the front.

image upload

upload gif

hosting images

png upload

image host

png upload

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.