69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by outsider Oh maybe it wasn't you. Someone was having a 69 restored completely with the body off ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    Oh maybe it wasn't you. Someone was having a 69 restored completely with the body off the frame. I thought it was you but maybe not.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...te-blue-3.html <- this car
    No, that was me alright. I was dodging the question.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Some weeks ago I changed the left signal lens, which was broken when I bought the car. Fortunately, the former owner gave me another one -somewhat cracked- but not broken.

Until I got the service manual I went crazy about how to remove the "cornering, parking and front side marker light assembly" as is named in the manual. Itīs evident that I had to remove light sockets and the three screws (missing in the left side of my car) securing top of the lamp assembly to fender and screw securing rubber filler and assembly to fender at front of wheel opening but something still retained assembly preventing it from being taken out of fender. Once I read manual I discovered that you have to remove front bumper to release the lamp assembly! The worst of it would not be removing bumper but installing it back.

Front bumper is secured to frame by 8 bolts and nuts + flat washers. The manual recommends placing a piece of masking tape on the lower edges of the front fenders behind the side marker lights and between the headlamps and parking lamps, taping the comparable bumper areas and drawing horizontal and vertical crossed lines on each piece of tape (I drew crossed lines) to help placing when reinstalling bumper. The funny thing is that some little pieces of paint went with the painter tape when removed -There you see if a car is really well painted- (Iīll touch up it with similar paint).

Itīs necessary raising the car (I did it with a jack) to work comfortably and positioning a floor type jack so as to support bumper at outer ends. I started by removing the center 4 bolts / nuts and then I removed 2 sets in the left side (itīs difficult in the last phase, as they are not ordinary bolts but rounded head bolts squared in the head base that gets into a square hole and you can not hold head easily when square base is getting out of hole. I had to hold it by pressing head with a hammer stick; the other end against inner fender). Last nut was removed but the bolt stayed there to secure flexibly the bumper end and I did not removed the right 2 bolts / nuts.

At that point I raised the car from behind the front left wheel so bumper stayed about 1-1,5" lower supported by floor jacks and finally I could extract lamp assembly to my deep rejoice (I could remove two wasp nests built inside of the lens, fortunately empty). Still some difficulty as the little bolts -2 upper and 1 lower- securing front part of assembly did not match with my metric wrenches, so I had to use my pliers and loosening spray. Then, it started to rain and rain until night so the following weekend I could end the job doing just the reverse process and taking one of the bolts of the opposite side to secure left assembly to inner fender in a safer way.

Some pics to illustrate this book (sorry if itīs too long):

This is me fighting against evil bolts and nuts. You need a really good wrench to take them out. You need doing a good effort; while unscrewing them they get warm due to friction:

image uploading

The bolts and nuts:

lamp assembly out (you can see upper bolts securing front assembly):

image hosting service

Broken lens (It could not pass safety inspection):

image uploader

Finished job (Nobody could imagine it takes so much work):

Now Rex -thatīs my carīs name- seems happier with renewed lens

image upload

Last news about differential: The mechanic broke the new front oil seal when trying to install it in the substitute. I donīt blame him as I know itīs not an easy job -not unusual-. Heīs waiting for a new one he ordered, so letīs wait some more days...

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You need some penetrating oil if your bolts/nuts are getting warm when removing.

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    Some weeks ago I changed the left signal lens, which was broken when I bought the car. Fortunately, the former owner gave me another one -somewhat cracked- but not broken.

Until I got the service manual I went crazy about how to remove the "cornering, parking and front side marker light assembly" as is named in the manual. Itīs evident that I had to remove light sockets and the three screws (missing in the left side of my car) securing top of the lamp assembly to fender and screw securing rubber filler and assembly to fender at front of wheel opening but something still retained assembly preventing it from being taken out of fender. Once I read manual I discovered that you have to remove front bumper to release the lamp assembly! The worst of it would not be removing bumper but installing it back.

Front bumper is secured to frame by 8 bolts and nuts + flat washers. The manual recommends placing a piece of masking tape on the lower edges of the front fenders behind the side marker lights and between the headlamps and parking lamps, taping the comparable bumper areas and drawing horizontal and vertical crossed lines on each piece of tape (I drew crossed lines) to help placing when reinstalling bumper. The funny thing is that some little pieces of paint went with the painter tape when removed -There you see if a car is really well painted- (Iīll touch up it with similar paint).

Itīs necessary raising the car (I did it with a jack) to work comfortably and positioning a floor type jack so as to support bumper at outer ends. I started by removing the center 4 bolts / nuts and then I removed 2 sets in the left side (itīs difficult in the last phase, as they are not ordinary bolts but rounded head bolts squared in the head base that gets into a square hole and you can not hold head easily when square base is getting out of hole. I had to hold it by pressing head with a hammer stick; the other end against inner fender). Last nut was removed but the bolt stayed there to secure flexibly the bumper end and I did not removed the right 2 bolts / nuts.

At that point I raised the car from behind the front left wheel so bumper stayed about 1-1,5" lower supported by floor jacks and finally I could extract lamp assembly to my deep rejoice (I could remove two wasp nests built inside of the lens, fortunately empty). Still some difficulty as the little bolts -2 upper and 1 lower- securing front part of assembly did not match with my metric wrenches, so I had to use my pliers and loosening spray. Then, it started to rain and rain until night so the following weekend I could end the job doing just the reverse process and taking one of the bolts of the opposite side to secure left assembly to inner fender in a safer way.

Some pics to illustrate this book (sorry if itīs too long):

This is me fighting against evil bolts and nuts. You need a really good wrench to take them out. You need doing a good effort; while unscrewing them they get warm due to friction:

image uploading

The bolts and nuts:

lamp assembly out (you can see upper bolts securing front assembly):

image hosting service

Broken lens (It could not pass safety inspection):

image uploader

Finished job (Nobody could imagine it takes so much work):

Now Rex -thatīs my carīs name- seems happier with renewed lens

image upload
    I always wondered why the 1977 Cadillacs trumpeted their "vastly improved ease of service". Since owning my 69 and after reading this post, I now know. Remove the front bumper to change a freakin' directional signal lens?!? What fool designed that? If he isn't dead, he needs his engineering degree revoked!
    Stingroo and Stingroo like this.

Yeah, I think it comes from naiveté, as they assumed that this lamp assembly should be changed only when an important shock was suffered by fender and to damage this assembly, the bumper should be sensibly damaged and consequently repaired or changed. They did not thought of vandalism. I wish long life to your turn signal lights.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    You need some penetrating oil if your bolts/nuts are getting warm when removing.
    Yeah, I sprayed a good deal of loosener before attacking them. Maybe I should have done it again during unscrewing. For the reverse operation I bathed the bolts in engine oil and operation was slightly easier but not a great deal.

The charm of the little things... And nasty surprises

Last weekend I went on cleaning and restoring little things on my caddy. I changed Steering Column Tilt Adjust Lever, as chrome was damaged irreversibly, for a perfect one I bought. I also bought an interior door courtesy lens, which was missing. I took the opportunity to remove all the lenses and clean them, as they were very dirty. When they were clean, I painted again the chrome rim they had in the edge, vanished by years of heat and rain damp. I changed some burnt bulbs (dome, trunk and glovebox), even the backup bulbs but they donīt work. Another thing to check. I also washed dome light lenses. I used engine cleaner.

I cleaned and polished chrome details and sill plates on left doors also. Look is much better. I even got lighter in rear left door work (one wire was disconnected) but I did not get window switch work. Power windows work but only if operated from the driverīs panel; not from each one switch. I tried to move once and again the window blocking switch with no results.

I also started cleaning engine compartment. I started from the front end and inner fenders, as well as washer bottle and coolant overflow bottle (really dirty and containing something similar to light mud inside that went off and refilled with coolant instead). I would like to go on cleaning head covers but it will take a lot of work as they have a thick layer of grease and dirt on (above all the right hand one).

You can also see rear window frame (with important rust signs) and a nasty surprise I got when I took out the left rear carpet in the following pics:

You can see clean lenses in the outer sides and dirty in the inner (the red is the one I bought). Dome lens is already clean:

All lenses clean prepared to be painted:

gif upload

Lenses painted with a silver felt tip pen:

Right rear door (not clean yet) Lighter missing:

upload pngpng

Rear left door clean:

gif upload

Driver door before cleaning:

... And after cleaning. Iīm thinking of applying sand tone silicone to those cracks until I get door panels reupholstered:

wordpress image hosting

Some pics of the interior (you can see the front seat condition; everything will be reupholstered):

image uploading

image upload

Old tilt adjust lever:

image uploading

Engine compartment improves little by little:

gif upload

Rear window frame rusted. Rear tray is covered by a piece of carpet; original one is very damaged by damp. Another thing that will be upholstered:

The charm of the little things... And nasty surprises

This is what I found when I took out the rear left carpet:

free image hosting

I couldnīt say if this was made by some rodent, by damp from some hole in the floor or by both. Iīll have to inspect under the car. Anyway, now itīs clear that Iīll have to buy a new carpet. :LOL:

Aww...a carpet angel!
    outsider and outsider like this.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Whoa I love that cloth pattern! I hope you retain it after re-upholstery.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Aww...a carpet angel!
    I didnīt realize the supernatural dimension of the pic

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Whoa I love that cloth pattern! I hope you retain it after re-upholstery.
    This is an important doubt: Most people that saw the car did not like much this gold dardanelle cloth pattern... Maybe seeing it in such a bad condition contributes to this negative opinion. I was thinking of using leather with same seam pattern where the dardanelle cloth is now, and new vinyl with same color than original in the rest, but maybe leather increase budget sensibly. When I reach to the upholstering point Iīll ask SMS http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ which is the cost of the original cloth for my car (they have it in their catalog) http://www.smsautofabrics.com/produc...&pcl=c&ino=964 and if cost is sensibly lower maybe I decide using this cloth.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I can imagine it as it should be in my head, and I think I love it. It's VERY Cadillac.

Dardanelle is SO late 60s/early 70s. That whole damask paisley thing just got out of hand! It does look cool, though. Daphne cloth is more understated and very pretty with its embroidered triple sunburst pattern. Both cloths will cost between $80 and $110 from SMS. Don't know what Sierra grain leather would cost, and don't want to know what ostrich grain leather costs. But leather is so boring! I would love to see this car back in its original gold someday. With the gold cloth interior, it would be a real eye popper!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.